Is the Political Left killing Disney (Captain Marvel controversy)

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
That reminds me of my daughter's school talent show several years ago after Frozen was all the rage. At least every other girl sang "Let It Go." The parents were all sitting politely and applauding but were obviously getting tired by the 10th poor rendition. (Except for Lily, of course. Her version was better than the original.) Being a natural class clown, for the benefit of my surrounding audience, I started to mutter that the perpetual song had to be stopped. And if no one else was going to doing anything I would, by God! The parents in earshot, our friends, got the joke immediately. My wife, of course, did not and was terrified I was going to ruin the talent show. Didn't she understand I have to do something?! When I finally told her I was joking she still didn't think it was nearly as funny as I did. Ah, immigrants. They don't know what funny is. :cool:

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
i have so far been able to keep this a secret from my daughter.
LOL! Reminds me ... My Mom never told me about Saturday morning cartoons. I found out when I started going to school. Upon returning from the first day of kindergarten, I exclaimed, "Mom! Guess what? There are cartoons on television on Saturdays! On every channel - all three of them! All day long!" To this day she claims she had no idea, but I'm pretty sure she was and is lying. ;)

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Frozen maybe the most overrated Disney Movie of all time imo. I always have thought that Tangled was far better, but never got the overwhelming praise and fandom as Frozen.
Did the sjw’s or the alt-right dude bros take down Tangled? :) /blue

Tangled was far better.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Frozen maybe the most overrated Disney Movie of all time imo. I always have thought that Tangled was far better, but never got the overwhelming praise and fandom as Frozen.
I have an 11 year old that would disagree with you. Musically, Frozen is probably a better movie.

If I never hear Let It Go again, it will be too soon.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I have an 11 year old that would disagree with you. .
Yeah its like debating someone between what is the best Disney Era " The Golden Age", " The Renaissance", or the " New Renaissance"? It usually boils down to your age, and maybe a huge reason more adults in their 30's to 50's prefer Tangled over Frozen is because they grew up in the Renaissance era and not the New Renaissance (Pixar)

Musically, Frozen is probably a better movie.
Yeah but its way over played even by Disney standards
If I never hear Let It Go again, it will be too soon.
To me personally I would blast Let it go 3 days straight before I hear " Wanna build a snowman" again
Moana is better than both
I thought Moana was probably better as well, but it is probably like Tangled in that it will be forgotten due to Frozen.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
Manbabies can go straight to you-know-where. So I agree with Brie. But I think she needs to be a little more diplomatic with her response. I know "A Wrinkle in Time" was not made for me, thus I never did watch it.

----------------------

As for Star Wars, can we please end the Skywalker saga already. 9 movies about this and there still no conclusion to it. Give me something new. New characters, new settings, and different stories. No Skywalker, Solo, Darth Vader, Obi-Wan, etc. New set of trilogy should have NO CONNECTIONS to the first nine movies.

--------------------

I'm not burnt out on Frozen (and I still love "Let it go" so blows raspberries), so I do think it's a pretty good film. Never seen Tangled or Moana, so I cannot judge them. But as for me, Lion King is still the preeminent Disney film to me, with Meet the Robinson, Wreck-it Ralph, and Big Hero 6 right behind. (Iron Giant as my favorite non-Disney animation.)

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
too bad the movie is meh
Haven’t seen it yet (plans with friends got cancelled over premature baby delivery scare) but a lot of folks seem to have enjoyed it a lot. Although I’ve seen others say it was just ok.

Doesn’t change the point of the previous post in regards to the evil SJWs though.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
too bad the movie is meh
That's the consensus Ive heard. But its to be expected when you try to make a "meh" comic book character great. I think Scarlet Witch would've probably been more of a home run for a story, but Fiege had his hands tied way too long with the Xmen being owned by Fox to give Scarlet Witch a real shot.
Haven’t seen it yet (plans with friends got cancelled over premature baby delivery scare) but a lot of folks seem to have enjoyed it a lot. Although I’ve seen others say it was just ok.

Doesn’t change the point of the previous post in regards to the evil SJWs though.
Controversy either kills or boosts movies. Its hard to predict which one. Marvel's shared universe probably had a bigger effect on folks going to see the movie than people being legit excited to see the movie. But I think this movie proved one thing.... Rotten Tomatoes is the most flawed website that rates movies. The average certified critic score is 2.5 out of 5 but its 79% fresh, and RT deleted over 50k user reviews and it still is having trouble getting over 50% approval.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
That's the consensus Ive heard. But its to be expected when you try to make a "meh" comic book character great. I think Scarlet Witch would've probably been more of a home run for a story, but Fiege had his hands tied way too long with the Xmen being owned by Fox to give Scarlet Witch a real shot.
Controversy either kills or boosts movies. Its hard to predict which one. Marvel's shared universe probably had a bigger effect on folks going to see the movie than people being legit excited to see the movie. But I think this movie proved one thing.... Rotten Tomatoes is the most flawed website that rates movies. The average certified critic score is 2.5 out of 5 but its 79% fresh, and RT deleted over 50k user reviews and it still is having trouble getting over 50% approval.
Its a shame too as the only really interesting Captain Marvell story line to me is the one where Rogue get's tricked into attacking Carol Danvers by Mystique. Can't have that now with Fox owning Rogue or with the fact that we have a good guy Mystique in the current Xmen Universe as Fox doesn't want to make Jennifer Lawrence a bad guy.

This movie was honestly just boring. It was essentially an early phase 1 MCU movie at a time where we've moved way past that. Reminded me of Thor 2 or Iron Man 2 or 3, I know I've seen them but I'll be damned if I recall the details and I know I can't be bothered to rewatch. That's how I feel about this movie. Shame as I like Brie Larson a lot, this just didn't work for me.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Its a shame too as the only really interesting Captain Marvell story line to be is the one where Rogue get's tricked into attacking Carol Danvers by Mystique. Can't have that now with Fox owning Rogue or with the fact that we have a good guy Mystique in the current Xmen Universe as Fox doesn't want to make Jennifer Lawrence a bad guy.

Well Dark Phoenix and New Mutants are the last Xmen movies Fox can do. I'm kinda hoping that since Disney now owns the rights to Xmen that they reboot it in the MCU. They can probably tweek it where Magneto grew up in Eastern Germany under Soviet rule instead of WWII under Nazi rule to tie the Disney Xmen series to the MCU timeline and give Scarlet Witch and Black Panther a more faithful tie-in. It would probably also give the famous Rogue-Mystique- Captain Marvel tie in an adaptation. Probably would give Brie Larson an out (or break) from the role if she wants it.

But the biggest question(s) from the merger is if Disney keeps Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool, and will he be in the MCU?

Last edited:

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
The main problem with the movie has nothing to do with the character, but rather that Marvel was trying to serve too many masters. They were not only trying to tell CM's origin story, but also Fury's origin story, plus do a lot of world building, plus set up things for Avengers: Endgame, etc.

The movie has great performances and some great character beats, but the plot never gets enough momentum to really fly.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.