Is the Political Left killing Disney (Captain Marvel controversy)

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The main problem with the movie has nothing to do with the character, but rather that Marvel was trying to serve too many masters. They were not only trying to tell CM's origin story, but also Fury's origin story, plus do a lot of world building, plus set up things for Avengers: Endgame, etc.

The movie has great performances and some great character beats, but the plot never gets enough momentum to really fly.
I still don’t understand why they chose to do an origin story for CM when they already had made a semi orgin for Adam Warlock in GOGV2. It would’ve made more sense since Adam Warlock actually had a major role in the Infinity War story.

But I don’t think going back to go forward at this point is a good idea for story purposes.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Jay from Red Letter Media

Despite being the blandest movie ever, Captain Marvel is a lot of things to a lot of people. It's the movie Rotten Tomatoes doesn't want anyone to have an opinion on. The movie dumb, bearded white guys are protesting. The movie other dumb, bearded white guys are white-knighting. The movie Brie Larson doesn't want us to see. The movie that inspired a ton of cheap clickbait articles from terrible online journalists who have no idea how Rotten Tomatoes works. The movie easily manipulated, twitter obsessed weirdos have given a ton of free publicity to, by convincing themselves this corporate product is a feminist cause. The movie that had charities started for it in order for underprivileged little girls to be able to see, which benefits absolutely nobody but Disney. Buy these ***** poor kids some food instead, you *****ers. It's Captain Marvel! If the movie is a hit, it's because society has become enlightened enough to celebrate a female led action movie. Finally! If the movie is a flop, it's because of toxic online trolls. Finally! No other explanations exist! Eat the multi-billion dollar corporate slop and pretend it's social justice, you weirdos! Thanks for making the world an embarrassing nightmare, everyone!

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
https://www.phillyvoice.com/disney-has-reinstates-james-gunn-director-guardians-galaxy-3/

Its going to get weird with James Gunn coming back to the MCU and Disney.

FWIW as a fan of GOTG I like that they brought him back, but its weird because of they are bringing him back with people like Rian Johnson and Brie Larson's comments about folks having similar comments and allegations that Gunn has being backward thinking having no business being in Hollywood. I think it was wrong for them firing him. I think as long as the person isn't a Polanski or a Weinstein type case they have a right to have that much power in their profession. I think it was wrong for them firing him,Its just odd Disney brought him back after Larson and Johnson have gone on this campaign against this anti racist, woman hating, manbaby crusade.

It just looks like the decision was based off of losing cast members and Gunn going to the DCEU was the reason they brought him back.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Disney and the center-mass democrats have a similar problem with cynical identity exploitation. Neither really has anything innovative to offer their audience. Disney rather act like Ellen Ripley never existed and that Captain Marvel/Carol Danvers is the first action movie female lead ever in movie history. Therefore choosing to green-light this film was heroic and A Cultural Moment. The Democrats rather offer nothing a typical American wants in terms of progressive policy and instead parade POCs and WOCs around so long as they don't *cough Ocasio-Cortez cough* talk cross *cough Ilhan Omar cough* about terrible things they promote domestically and abroad.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Disney rather act like Ellen Ripley never existed and that Captain Marvel/Carol Danvers is the first action movie female lead ever in movie history. Therefore choosing to green-light this film was heroic and A Cultural Moment. .
I do think they tried hard to push this because the DCEU didn't push it with Wonder Woman as much, but I guess that is a part of the problem. They did it with Star Wars as well, but it was even more stupid. They really tried with Rey during the LJ (I honestly dont remember them doing it with TFA because I remember the focus on the marketing being mostly on Finn and Kylo) but it totally ignores Leia being a strong female lead in the same franchise.

I really think the Gunn situation makes Disney look worse in terms of politics.

They fire Gunn for gay and religious bashing: A little extreme but if that's where you stand morally and politically then fine.
They rehire Gunn once Batista and a few other say they will quit and Gunn winds up at DC: It just shows that you are all about the dollar.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
To that point on the Dem side, they're all about "LISTEN TO WOMEN[ OF COLOR]" right up to the point that those women of color are challenging their own party's mainline often rightfully then all these blue-checkmark-lib-journo types on twitter are basically doing "these young women are dumb and need to know their place" crap that is just about as sexist as what they levy against the right.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I do think they tried hard to push this because the DCEU didn't push it with Wonder Woman as much, but I guess that is a part of the problem. They did it with Star Wars as well, but it was even more stupid. They really tried with Rey during the LJ (I honestly dont remember them doing it with TFA because I remember the focus on the marketing being mostly on Finn and Kylo) but it totally ignores Leia being a strong female lead in the same franchise.

I really think the Gunn situation makes Disney look worse in terms of politics.

They fire Gunn for gay and religious bashing: A little extreme but if that's where you stand morally and politically then fine.
They rehire Gunn once Batista and a few other say they will quit and Gunn winds up at DC: It just shows that you are all about the dollar.
They didn't fire Gunn for gay or religious bashings. They fired him for making pedophile "jokes".

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Eh, it was pretty standard weird internet shock humor from the aughts. It isn't like he actually did sexual predation on children.

Last edited:

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Eh, it was pretty standard weird internet shock humor from the aughts. It isn't like he actually did sexual predation on children.
Bill Cosby was well known for being against shocking humor and even held as the gold standard for a long, long time.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
We could probably cancel 75% or more of all comedians in our lifetimes if we went through the back catalog and found stuff that doesn't match up to the current accepted window of discourse or was even a swing and a miss in the moment.

Cancelation culture was a mistake and frankly I slant conspiratorial and think it is intentional to sow discord between those on the left side of the spectrum. Ironically, short of a few no fly zones amongst the righties, nobody eats their own better than the American Left. I think the amplification this kind of stuff gets is specifically meant to put blood in the water and cause distance between parties with similar enemies and goals.

Edit: This is more of a general observation. I don't think Gunn really classifies directly in what I'm talking about but it is a close cousin nonetheless.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.