Is the Political Left killing Disney (Captain Marvel controversy)

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
A while back I brought up the Death of Star Wars via SJWs, and to my surprise Solo tanked big time. Now it seems as though the MCU is in danger of it happening as well with Brie Larson (Captain Marvel) saying derogatory things about white males:

I don’t need a 40-year-old white dude to tell me what didn’t work about A Wrinkle in Time. It wasn’t made for him! I want to know what it meant to women of color, biracial women, to teen women of color.
Am I saying I hate white dudes? No, I am not. What I am saying is if you make a movie that is a love letter to women of color, there is an insanely low chance a woman of color will have a chance to see your movie, and review your movie.

These comments have generated some serious backlash. FWIW I dont think many people are up in arms about her having "a more inclusive" press tour, but it is how she says things. To say the least it has took the box office projections from blowing out Wonder Woman with 180 million to 100 million on opening weekend. And now Disney is doing their typical damage control by blaming those spot pollers as sexists, claiming the numbers arent that bad, and etc.

But to the bigger point, if this was to fail then it would be the third huge franchise to do so with a linked to a perceived SJW agenda in the last 3 years. The other two are Star Wars and Ghostbusters. So is putting certain politics in front of a major picture a death sentence, or is it just noone really wanting to see Captain Marvel, Ghostbusters, and a neverending star wars franchise.

FWIW- I think Captain Marvel's "politics" are more mild than the politics of Star Wars and Ghostbusters (especially Ghostbusters), but Ive never been a big Captain Marvel fan so Im going to watch it on TV instead of going to the movies.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
well, i hope that the democrats come up with a good answer for this pressing issue and put those sjws in their place or i am going to have to vote for donald trump again

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
The Alt-right manbabies started crying about this movie long before she ever said a word.

They had already started creating fake accounts on Rotten Tomatoes to vote down the ranking of the movie the same as they have done to Black Panther and any other movie that dares to not suckle at the teet of the white male.

There has been no death of Star Wars.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
They had already started creating fake accounts on Rotten Tomatoes to vote down the ranking of the movie the same as they have done to Black Panther and any other movie that dares to not suckle at the teet of the white male.

I know this is a common counter point, but it really has less evidence to support it than the manbabbies claiming victory. Wonder Woman has little to none of the type of negative reviews that Star Wars and Ghostbusters had and it was far more in your face about having a strong female presence. So I think this point is murky at best if the biggest female super hero movie ever doesnt generate the hate by these "fake" reviewers when it came out at the same time.

There has been no death of Star Wars.
Depends on what you call dead... Solo way underperformed, the side story movie franchise IS DEAD, and there isnt much excitement going into Episode IX.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I guess I'd have to hear how she said it but I don't see that quote as incredibly controversial. It's funny how people who started using the term snowflake to describe people who they see as oversensitive take every little thing so personally nowadays.

I thought Solo was a mediocre to bad movie. Too much Disney in it for me.

I loved Ghostbusters and didn't realize it flopped. Pretty sad to me because I thought it was a really good movie.

I'm very excited about Captain Marvel and hope its as good as it looks/sounds like it could be.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
I know this is a common counter point, but it really has less evidence to support it than the manbabbies claiming victory. Wonder Woman has little to none of the type of negative reviews that Star Wars and Ghostbusters had and it was far more in your face about having a strong female presence. So I think this point is murky at best if the biggest female super hero movie ever doesnt generate the hate by these "fake" reviewers when it came out at the same time.
The manbaby social snowflake warriors weren't able to get in the way of Wonder Woman. But they still whined about Gal Gadot's casting, they whined about female-only screenings, they whined and protested over Wonder Woman being named a UN Ambassador. You can find the exact same type of negative reviews, posts, etc for Wonder Woman that you see from the typical crowd on the other movies, however they were drowned out by the positive reviews on that movie.

The outcry of pre-hating Ghostbusters and Star Wars before anyone had even seen them were bigger but it doesn't mean that same type of fragile white male ego wasn't also out there on WW and Black Panther.

Depends on what you call dead...
I would call dead dead. :rolleyes: Therefore, Star Wars is not even close to dead.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I seriously have no idea who she is. I have heard the “controversy”. I do not care. I try to separate political views of actors from their movies. If I boycotted every movie where I did not agree with the actor’s political views, I would never see any movies or TV.

As I said in the movie trailer thread, I am just finally tired of super hero movies and will not see this one. At least not in the theater. I will see the last Avengers movie just because it (fingers crossed) will be the last one. Then it will get rebooted with new actors.

I hated the Ghostbusters remake just because it was a remake of a movie that did not need to be remade. If they had called it anything else I might have checked it out.

As far as Star Wars? I think I have mentioned once or twice that I have never seen any of them, so I will not see any of the new stuff.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The manbaby social snowflake warriors weren't able to get in the way of Wonder Woman. But they still whined about Gal Gadot's casting, they whined about female-only screenings, they whined and protested over Wonder Woman being named a UN Ambassador. You can find the exact same type of negative reviews, posts, etc for Wonder Woman that you see from the typical crowd on the other movies, however they were drowned out by the positive reviews on that movie.

The outcry of pre-hating Ghostbusters and Star Wars before anyone had even seen them were bigger but it doesn't mean that same type of fragile white male ego wasn't also out there on WW and Black Panther.

I would call dead dead. :rolleyes: Therefore, Star Wars is not even close to dead.
Gadot's casting controversy was mostly brought up by critics not "fans", and it was mostly because John Campea and Kevin Smith got everyone excited for the Jamie Alexander rumors they got from a "reliable" source.

People's feet are stronger than their tweets. Ghostbusters couldnt even make even, and Solo just barely made even. Wonder Woman made 5 times more than its budget. If these manbabbies were really that powerful then Ghostbusters and Solo wouldve of did way better than what they did due to the overwhelmingly positive reviews they got and not killed their respective franchise (Solo killed the Star Wars Story Franchise not the "Numbered" main franchise).

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I don't remember the Star Wars controversy. The Force Awakens made $2 billion worldwide, Rouge One made $1 billion worldwide and The Last Jedi made $1.3 billion worldwide. The only one that failed was Solo, with only $390 million worldwide.

Solo didn't fail because of any SJW junk, it failed because it was a movie the fans did't want to see. No one really wanted a Solo backstory since we learn everything we need about the character in the original movies. He was a scoundrel and a smuggler that became a hero in the first SW movie. What happens before A New Hope doesn't matter because he becomes our Solo in that movie. We don't need a backstory to see him grow into our character because we already saw it happen in the original. Therefore, the whole movie was a pointless exercise that adds nothing to the character. Also, Solo = Harrison Ford and nobody had any interest in seeing someone else play the role. Disney thought they could just make spinoffs with our favorite characters and we'd coming running but, that thought process was proven wrong. You got to bring something more to the table than just "look, a young Solo!"

Also, The Last Jedi split the fanbase and Solo came out too soon after many fans' feelings were still hurt over that movie. As far as Episode IX excitement being low, uh, do you visit Star Wars sites? Just wait until the first trailer comes out! My daughter, son and I are extremely excited. It's my most anticipated movie of the year. I can't wait!

As far as Larson's comments, I think they are pretty stupid and shortsighted. I had no idea A Wrinkle In Time was for women of color only. Seems odd when most of the cast is white but, whatever. I thought, since it was based on a children's book, that it was made for children, regardless of skin color or sex. Wish someone had told me so I wouldn't have wasted 2 hours watching it. A Wrinkle in Time is just a bad movie. It's slow, boring, disjointed and poorly acted. I'm a white male though so, what do I know.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I don't remember the Star Wars controversy..
I think most of the controversy was about how horrible the Last Jedi was, but a good portion of the fans have voiced their opinions on the Mary Sue, and Cantobites politics about it.

FWIW I just hated that the whole plot can be summed up as "2 hours watching folks you dont really care about run out of fuel". Hoping IX is better.

The Force Awakens made $2 billion worldwide, Rouge One made $1 billion worldwide and The Last Jedi made $1.3 billion worldwide. The only one that failed was Solo, with only $390 million worldwide.

Yes but Solo is the ONLY Star Wars film that "just barely made a profit" Its budget was roughly 275- 300 million. So it barely made above its budget. And before you go down the road it was a May release, all 3 of the prequels were May releases and the one that was the least profitable (AOTC) still made 3 times of its budget. Solo isnt just a bad box office showing, its something to really worry about if you are a Disney executive

Solo didn't fail because of any SJW junk, it failed because it was a movie the fans did't want to see. No one really wanted a Solo backstory since we learn everything we need about the character in the original movies. He was a scoundrel and a smuggler that became a hero in the first SW movie. What happens before A New Hope doesn't matter because he becomes our Solo in that movie. We don't need a backstory to see him grow into our character because we already saw it happen in the original. Therefore, the whole movie was a pointless exercise that adds nothing to the character. Also, Solo = Harrison Ford and nobody had any interest in seeing someone else play the role. Disney thought they could just make spinoffs with our favorite characters and we'd coming running but, that thought process was proven wrong. You got to bring something more to the table than just "look, a young Solo!"

Maybe, but it didnt help excite fans into going to the movies when Kathleen Kennedy and Rian Johnson basically started to insult the fanbase by calling them sexist even for people voicing legit criticisms. Yes Im aware that there are some sexists amongst those being critical, but I would say most were split because of a boring plot and the treatment of Luke. So the actions of Kennedy and Johnson did play a significant role in a portion of the fanbase not going to see Solo

As far as Episode IX excitement being low, uh, do you visit Star Wars sites? Just wait until the first trailer comes out! My daughter, son and I are extremely excited. It's my most anticipated movie of the year. I can't wait
Yes people will be excited once they see the trailer, but what Im talking about is fans were uber excited to go see Rouge One even with some folks not totally satisfied about TFA. There was 2 years of excitement built up going into TLJ, but all we have gotten was two years of blasting and defending TLJ and very little speculation of what will happen next.

Im going to see IX despite my disappointment with TLJ, but whether I see another Star Wars after that is still up in the air in terms of what they do with it. FWIW I dont want them to just do what I want them to do fan service wise, but I want them to make me care with a good story and give good respect to certain aspects to the original 6 movies

As far as Larson's comments, I think they are pretty stupid and shortsighted. I had no idea A Wrinkle In Time was for women of color only. Seems odd when most of the cast is white but, whatever. I thought, since it was based on a children's book, that it was made for children, regardless of skin color or sex. Wish someone had told me so I wouldn't have wasted 2 hours watching it. A Wrinkle in Time is just a bad movie. It's slow, boring, disjointed and poorly acted. I'm a white male though so, what do I know
To be honest Ive never been a Brie Larson fan ( always thought she was a ' meh' actress that got lucky in picking the right Oscar Bait movie in a weak year in the Academy Awards), or a Captain Marvel fan ( Always thought Carol Danvers was something Stan Lee desperately tried to make work, and only bright spot in publication history was when Rogue absorbed her powers)so I was going to stay at home and wait for it to come on demand regardless. Ive always thought of Larson as a wannabe SJW that always comes across extremely arrogant ever since some of comments during Scotty Pilgrim, and was really surprised after alot of the political backlash Star Wars got that Disney would cast her in a role that the general public knows little about. I think if this fails then Disney asked for it by her casting because they already have issues educating non comic readers of her character, and making folks forget that Endgame is a month away.

Never seen Wrinkle in Time, but I heard nothing but boring remarks about it.

Last edited:

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Where does one go to follow the opinions of alt right manbabies? I don't follow anyone at present; don't have much free time.
It’s pretty easy to stumble across on reddit, Twitter, news sites/stories, Youtube comments, more image heavy sites like 9gag, Instagram, etc, and 92 pointed out one of the other places you can find it from time to time. Though thankfully not usually to the extreme as other things mentioned.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
As far as Larson's comments, I think they are pretty stupid and shortsighted. I had no idea A Wrinkle In Time was for women of color only. Seems odd when most of the cast is white but, whatever. I thought, since it was based on a children's book, that it was made for children, regardless of skin color or sex. Wish someone had told me so I wouldn't have wasted 2 hours watching it. A Wrinkle in Time is just a bad movie. It's slow, boring, disjointed and poorly acted. I'm a white male though so, what do I know.
Do you honestly think people make movies without an ideal target audience in mind?

I mean, there is an entire category of movies geared toward children and families

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
People's feet are stronger than their tweets. Ghostbusters couldnt even make even, and Solo just barely made even. Wonder Woman made 5 times more than its budget. If these manbabbies were really that powerful then Ghostbusters and Solo wouldve of did way better than what they did due to the overwhelmingly positive reviews they got and not killed their respective franchise (Solo killed the Star Wars Story Franchise not the "Numbered" main franchise).
I never really claimed they were powerful. In fact their grasp on the attention of corporations is steadily shrinking which is why the shrieking from them has grown louder. I just mentioned their tactics, which at times can get amplified & echoed by others. I don’t think they brought down Solo or Ghostbusters, I’m just saying they had already started crying about them & doing similar things before the movies released in a similar way that they’re doing Captain Marvel.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Do you honestly think people make movies without an ideal target audience in mind?

I mean, there is an entire category of movies geared toward children and families
FWIW I get what she is trying to say with her comments, but its how she says it that makes many who arent "sexist manbabbies" turned off about her.

There are plenty of cult classics that didnt get a fair shake with critics because they didnt understand it, but does it make their opinion invalid?

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States

I think you miss-read my post. I'm saying the movie is a children's movie, not a "women of color" movie as Larson claims. It's a bad children's movie as well, so don't waste your time.

81usaf92, I've spent the last 2 years defending TLJ! Yep, I'm one of those weirdos who loved TLJ. I rank it third in my SW list, right behind ANH and TESB.

Last edited:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I did not get the love for Black Panther at all. It was OK as far as super hero movies go, but was it really that great? Half the time if I actually read the review of a movie I find myself wondering if they saw the same movie I did.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
81usaf92, I've spent the last 2 years defending TLJ! Yep, I'm one of those weirdos who loved TLJ. I rank it third in my SW list, right behind ANH and TESB.
Good for you, and I don’t have a problem with anyone liking it nor do I care if I’m the the only one who doesn’t. But at some point Disney and the folks involved need to acknowledge that the majority of the negative reviewers aren’t misogynistic man babies but actual loyal Star Wars fans. And that it is detrimental to their future to start a war with a fans.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.