What % do you think obesity contributes to the health problems in our country? - Page 10
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Re: What % do you think obesity contributes to the health problems in our country?

Not about teeth, but back to the diet discussion. I am still doing the 16 off and 8 on eating and have lost 10 pounds. I am still walking 5 days a week, but am having lower back problems when I walk outside. No pain when I walk on the treadmill. Any thoughts why one hurts my back and the other doesn't ?
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Super Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Re: What % do you think obesity contributes to the health problems in our country?

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    Not about teeth, but back to the diet discussion. I am still doing the 16 off and 8 on eating and have lost 10 pounds. I am still walking 5 days a week, but am having lower back problems when I walk outside. No pain when I walk on the treadmill. Any thoughts why one hurts my back and the other doesn't ?
    https://northamericanspine.com/blog/...mill-exercise/

Study: Treadmill-Walking vs. Upon-Ground WalkingPublished this year in the journal Gait and Posture one recent study provides evidence that walking on treadmills is not equivalent to overground walking, which may affect your spine. The conclusions were for a variety of reasons, but mainly the difference was in smoothness and rhythmicity.We all walk with a certain “tread.” Sometimes it’s good to adjust tread for cardiovascular or alignment reasons. Treadmills do seem like an appealing way to do this, and to exercise safely since such movements as shifting to turn corners can make some walkers unstable, off-balance, and increase the risk of falling. Walking on a treadmill changes the way we walk. But is it for the better?According to the study, walking on a treadmill causes an increased stride, which affects both stance stability and increases the expense of energy used. The increased energy makes the walker prone to use the handrails – installed on treadmills to help protect the walker – more common, which decreases the cardiovascular benefits of walking.Further, since a treadmill isn’t self-generated but dictated by the speed of the moving tread, there’s a sense of “keeping up” with the treadmill itself. This is one possible reason why our steps tend to be longer on them than when we normally walk. The researchers called this a disruption of “gait smoothness,” which can affect the way your back moves with your gait. Additionally, since your body is working against a moving tread, it utilizes different sets of muscles than normal walking. It’s important, then, to be aware if this change is helpful or harmful to your back.In a sense, you ARE out of control on a treadmill. Treadmills are equipped with many safety measures, such as the sudden “stop” button, but if you’re already feeling pain, are unstable, or panicked about not being able to keep up with the speed of the tread, it may be difficult to use those safety measures.ConclusionWhat, then, is the conclusion? In short, for those walkers who are already at risk of instability, the danger of falling may be greater on a treadmill than taking a walk around the block.We all know the challenges to exercise when, say, it’s winter. Indoor exercising is appealing for this kind of reason. However, know which machines are safe for your particular body and condition, and which you feel comfortable with.
    Last edited by NationalTitles17; July 23rd, 2019 at 05:26 PM.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

I'll just say this - treadmills are bad. They don't mimic real world and cause you to stress yourself.

Go to a really good shoe store and make sure you have good shoes - mine typically cost around $130/pair and last 2-3 months (350-500 miles) - it is what it is, but if you get good shoes/socks it makes all the difference in the world.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation Hall of Fame Go Bama's Avatar

Gray, I’m still with you on the intermittent fasting. I’ve lost about 8 pounds. I’ve lost 23 since the first of the year.

I have an ideal place to walk. We live on a circle at the top of a hill. I walk a little less than a mile daily but for my bad ankles that’s about all they’ll let me do.

I wear Hoka shoes virtually all the time. About $140 but worth it to me. I’ve just about worn this pair out but they’re over a year old.

I used to to have a NordicTrack but I can’t get into all that indoor motion. I’d just rather be outside. This morning it was 64 degrees. Perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by Go Bama View Post
    No big deal unless its got an unusual anatomy like a curved root or multiple canals. I love doing RCTs on 13. 12 and 14 are both multiple canals.
    I have the curved root problem. In fact, once, in removing #16, the oral surgeon had to mount a little circular saw and cut the root up into small pieces...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    I have the curved root problem. In fact, once, in removing #16, the oral surgeon had to mount a little circular saw and cut the root up into small pieces...
    I get nervous using discs on teeth. It’s easy for them to bind. I section teeth with a bur but there are lots of ways to skin a cat.

The curved roots were were really hard to treat endodontically until the nickel titanium rotary files came along. They’re still not easy and better done by an endodontist.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NationalTitles17 View Post
    I don't think "rhythmicity" is a real word.
    That's my contribution.

Was he asking "Is it safe" while doing this procedure?

Quote Originally Posted by Tidewater View Post
    Actually, he asked me if I had anyone to drive me. When I answered in the negative, he said "Earle, this is going to make some noise." I guess he could have driven me. He was my next-door neighbor...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Go Bama View Post
    Gray, I’m still with you on the intermittent fasting. I’ve lost about 8 pounds. I’ve lost 23 since the first of the year.

I have an ideal place to walk. We live on a circle at the top of a hill. I walk a little less than a mile daily but for my bad ankles that’s about all they’ll let me do.

I wear Hoka shoes virtually all the time. About $140 but worth it to me. I’ve just about worn this pair out but they’re over a year old.

I used to to have a NordicTrack but I can’t get into all that indoor motion. I’d just rather be outside. This morning it was 64 degrees. Perfect!
    I checked out Hoka shoes to day. Do you wear them all day or just to walk in? They sure felt good, but are a might on the pricey side.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Actually, he asked me if I had anyone to drive me. When I answered in the negative, he said "Earle, this is going to make some noise." I guess he could have driven me. He was my next-door neighbor...
    I had five wisdom teeth. The fifth was gum impacted. Not fun, but nothing like what you went through.

Quote Originally Posted by Tidewater View Post
    Gosh, I could have gone the ret of this year without thinking of that scene, hahaha.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    I checked out Hoka shoes to day. Do you wear them all day or just to walk in? They sure felt good, but are a might on the pricey side.
    I wear them all the time. I broke both ankles in a car accident and have had off and on arthritis since. Hokas are like walking on a marshmallow. Pricey yes, but they really cushion your joints.