What % do you think obesity contributes to the health problems in our country? - Page 11
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Re: What % do you think obesity contributes to the health problems in our country?

Quote Originally Posted by Go Bama View Post
    I wear them all the time. I broke both ankles in a car accident and have had off and on arthritis since. Hokas are like walking on a marshmallow. Pricey yes, but they really cushion your joints.
    My wife's a die-hard Hoka fan. I was a Saucony guy but recently switched to Brooks Adrenalines and really like them, especially the wide toe-box, which is a blessing when rucking long miles.

I don't necessarily think there's any collusion going on, but it's interesting that all these shoes price about the same ($130-150 price range)...
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Re: What % do you think obesity contributes to the health problems in our country?

Final question, I promise. Walking shoes or running shoes? I usually walk 40-45 minutes, 5 days a week, about 2.15 to 2.25 miles per day. Quite a few hills where I live. I have always been a New Balance fan, but their top of the line walkers are in the $175 range. Mrs Gray Tide is the energizer bunny and swears by Saucony. I get tired watching her run.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation Hall of Fame Go Bama's Avatar

I’ve got two pairs of Hokas, runners and hikers. The runners are lighter, cooler, and more springy. The hikers are better looking and have much better support. I’ve had both for over a year and the hikers look brand new because I like the runners better. I’m wearing the hikers now because I stepped in gum with the runners yesterday.

When I was in school in Tuscaloosa, I wore a size 11. As I’ve aged my foot has gotten wider and longer so that now I buy size 13. I’m also about an inch and a half shorter. Aging sucks.

I ruck - which is fast-paced walking with a weighted rucksack - so it's a lot like backpacking. That said, there are lots of hiking shoes, but if you're staying on the asphalt (which most walkers do), the extra support isn't worth the extra weight. Which is why I use running shoes exclusively - as Go Bama said, they're lighter and have more cushioning (as running generates roughly 4x your body weight on the heel of each stride), so they're ideal walkers, imo.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation Hall of Fame rolltide_21's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    Final question, I promise. Walking shoes or running shoes? I usually walk 40-45 minutes, 5 days a week, about 2.15 to 2.25 miles per day. Quite a few hills where I live. I have always been a New Balance fan, but their top of the line walkers are in the $175 range. Mrs Gray Tide is the energizer bunny and swears by Saucony. I get tired watching her run.
    Iíve run hundreds of miles with the Saucony Guide series. Theyíre really good for support especially if youíre a heavier person like me. I bought the Guide 10 a while back. Expensive but good shoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve got two pairs of Hokas, runners and hikers. The runners are lighter, cooler, and more springy. The hikers are better looking and have much better support. I’ve had both for over a year and the hikers look brand new because I like the runners better. I’m wearing the hikers now because I stepped in gum with the runners yesterday.

When I was in school in Tuscaloosa, I wore a size 11. As I’ve aged my foot has gotten wider and longer so that now I buy size 13. I’m also about an inch and a half shorter. Aging sucks.
    LOL! I've lost 4"-5" over the last 25 years or so...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

ďI would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.Ē Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

so i have finally gotten back to mountain biking regularly in 2019 which has been great. it had been almost 20 years since i was riding regularly. i have been averaging about 3 rides per week since march (several miles of nice single track 10 minutes from either work or house.)

my wife gave me the go ahead to buy a new bike this fall. i am currently riding my old ('94) hardtail with a re-furbed front suspension and it's still holding up ok. a lot has changed since i stopped riding and i am psyched about getting a new bike and am finally going to give in and get a dual-suspension rig. currently looking at the below

The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

my feet have expanded over the past 15 years of running. when i first started running seriously i was a 10, then 10 1/2 and last year had to step up to 11.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    my feet have expanded over the past 15 years of running. when i first started running seriously i was a 10, then 10 1/2 and last year had to step up to 11.
    Your wife should be happy
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    We have hit the greenway hard over the last week putting in 19 miles since last Tuesday. Getting ready for a fall hiking group which will involve some hill climbing at a moderate pace in the foothills around Huntsville. The weather puts some serious stress on the body and my feet are letting me know it is time for some good shoes with some more room.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    Your wife should be happy
    unfortunately, my anecdotal data show an inverse relationship with foot size

- George Orwell

ó Thomas Pynchon

Quote Originally Posted by UAH View Post
    We have hit the greenway hard over the last week putting in 19 miles since last Tuesday. Getting ready for a fall hiking group which will involve some hill climbing at a moderate pace in the foothills around Huntsville. The weather puts some serious stress on the body and my feet are letting me know it is time for some good shoes with some more room.
    if you are walking/hiking/running a lot, it is well worth it to spend the $ on good shoes and socks.

- George Orwell

ó Thomas Pynchon

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    My wife's a die-hard Hoka fan. I was a Saucony guy but recently switched to Brooks Adrenalines and really like them, especially the wide toe-box, which is a blessing when rucking long miles.

I don't necessarily think there's any collusion going on, but it's interesting that all these shoes price about the same ($130-150 price range)...
    when i was still trail racing a lot, the hokas started showing up. every one i talked to who ran in them loved them. i always do my trail running in lower-profile, minimal cushion shoes because my ankles tended to roll on rocky terrain if the shoe is too high, so never tried the hoka.

- George Orwell

ó Thomas Pynchon