What % do you think obesity contributes to the health problems in our country? (ETA - and why is rucking the best answer? :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Last Friday I received some good news -- and since I am on a steady diet of Hydrocodone I cannot remember if I told you all or not. (LOL.) Anyway, my oncologist's assistant called Friday to tell me that they are not ready to call my lytic tumor Multiple Myeloma...I have only 1 protein marker out of whack and that by just a small bit. They are thinking mgus or a plasmacytosis cyst. Either is close to MM, but are very easy to treat and are non-malignant. They will know more on Wednesday after the surgeon gives them the samples to study. If it is MM, she said, then it is extremely early and they believe can put it into remission very quickly.

So, thanks for the thoughts and prayers...I'll update when able after the surgery, probably Friday or Saturday.
Excellent update, praying for you!

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Happened on this video today on the results of placing patients with high blood sugar, pre-diabetic or with type 2 Diabetes on a macrobiotic diet including whole grains and vegetables. The diet definitely works but requires a great deal of discipline.

Reactions: seebell

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Had surgery on Wednesday -- 5 hours of spinal.. Good news is my back is fused and if I follow protocol I should be fully active in 3-4 months. Bad news is a lot of intense pain -- on a combination of stronger pain meds and steroids, muscle relaxers than I knew existed. Also, tests were not good...I do have Multiple Myeloma -- which has been caught very early. I will be having chemo -- shots and pills -- as well as stem cell transplants after all that. I'll not post more here as I've hijacked this enough. You've all been very supportive...if you have questions just send me a private email. If major setbacks come up I'll let you know. My oncologist sister basically said that this is a 3rd rate cancer that can be easily put into remission and controlled...same as my oncologist here.

Roll Tide...home and loving it.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
Sounds like good news on all front. Very glad to hear it.

Regarding the back, it's a pretty tough surgery to recover from. If you're not doing it already, my advice is to try sleeping in a recliner, if available. For me getting into and getting out of bed was especially excruciating, but a recliner helps take off some of the strain.

Best wishes for your recovery.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Sounds like good news on all front. Very glad to hear it.

Regarding the back, it's a pretty tough surgery to recover from. If you're not doing it already, my advice is to try sleeping in a recliner, if available. For me getting into and getting out of bed was especially excruciating, but a recliner helps take off some of the strain.

Best wishes for your recovery.
Recliner all day...bed but have master the roll in, roll out and have pillows propped so my head is up. Back surgery is a doozy...no bending, lifting or twisting...my wife is an angel...of course she's in charge now so that could be the reason.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I don’t normally post much about my personal life, largely because I live a pretty chill existence. Who wants to see me do the same thing every day? I’m in a good rut, but I’ve not always been there.

I started gaining weight in my early 40s - lack of exercise, eating poorly, etc all started catching up with me. By early 2019 I was up to 280# and wasn’t happy with myself as I knew that I wasn’t healthy. I worked out 5-7 days per week (cardio and weights, F3, rucking) and ‘watched my diet’ but my weight barely moved. I finally decided I had to track what was going on, so I ordered a cheap digital food scale from Amazon and downloaded MyFitnessPal (free) to carefully track my caloric intake. May 21, 2019 was day 1…

Today marks the 732nd consecutive day I’ve logged my food and exercise in the MFP diary, and I’m currently down over 80#.

This post is NOT to brag, to show off what I’ve done, etc - this post is 100% about telling people no matter where you are, you can get better. It’s literally about what you decide to do today. Forget about yesterday, don’t worry about tomorrow - today is your focus. Yes, I’m strict about what I eat. Yes, I’m disciplined about my daily workouts. That daily consistency is how you make the change, but you don’t start off at day 300, 600, or 732 - you start at day 1. That could be today.

Consistent portion control. Daily workouts.

It’s simple, but it’s not easy.

Regarding cheat days, rest days, etc - ZERO days off. If you’re like me, a day off from your new diet or exercise can easily become two or three, and before you know it, you’re on the sofa instead of exercising. At least to start, you do the work daily, even if it’s only a 20 minute walk, some push-ups and sit-ups, etc.

I’m always happy to answer any questions anyone has. This isn’t rocket surgery - there aren’t any shortcuts here, just the work.

It’s so worth it when you feel as good as I do every day…

#wasnow #nodaysoff #dothework #everyday #canthurtme #f3 #ruckmemphis

185321694_10159142506487604_4316507371148887265_n.jpg

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
I don’t normally post much about my personal life, largely because I live a pretty chill existence. Who wants to see me do the same thing every day? I’m in a good rut, but I’ve not always been there.

I started gaining weight in my early 40s - lack of exercise, eating poorly, etc all started catching up with me. By early 2019 I was up to 280# and wasn’t happy with myself as I knew that I wasn’t healthy. I worked out 5-7 days per week (cardio and weights, F3, rucking) and ‘watched my diet’ but my weight barely moved. I finally decided I had to track what was going on, so I ordered a cheap digital food scale from Amazon and downloaded MyFitnessPal (free) to carefully track my caloric intake. May 21, 2019 was day 1…

Today marks the 732nd consecutive day I’ve logged my food and exercise in the MFP diary, and I’m currently down over 80#.

This post is NOT to brag, to show off what I’ve done, etc - this post is 100% about telling people no matter where you are, you can get better. It’s literally about what you decide to do today. Forget about yesterday, don’t worry about tomorrow - today is your focus. Yes, I’m strict about what I eat. Yes, I’m disciplined about my daily workouts. That daily consistency is how you make the change, but you don’t start off at day 300, 600, or 732 - you start at day 1. That could be today.

Regarding cheat days, rest days, etc - ZERO days off. If you’re like me, a day off from your new diet or exercise can easily become two or three, and before you know it, you’re on the sofa instead of exercising. At least to start, you do the work daily, even if it’s only a 20 minute walk, some push-ups and sit-ups, etc.

I’m always happy to answer any questions anyone has. This isn’t rocket surgery - there aren’t any shortcuts here, just the work.

View attachment 16535
You are correct, it takes work. Congratulations on your success.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA

View attachment 16535
That’s awesome and an inspiration!

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001

View attachment 16535
Fantastic...

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Great job Brad! When I finally accepted that weight control/management was a lifestyle change and ultimately "I am what I eat", I started making real progress. We live in a society that does everything we can to "have our cake and eat it too". We're a society of shortcuts. However, most things worth having cannot be obtained by shortcuts. Keep up the good work!

View attachment 16535

• Thank You
Reactions: crimsonaudio

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Hit my stretch goal of 2,802 ruck miles in 2021 this AM (for the second year in a row) - representing the longest straight-line distance across the CONUS. Previous goal was 2,021, hit that in October. #goalcrusher #dothework #everyday #ALPNHA #letsgo #charitychallenges #goruck

View attachment 21818
View attachment 21819
Awesome accomplishment. Put in the work. It pays off.

• Thank You

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
It was a LOT of work. It always is. I spent a decade of my life out of shape, overweight - I forgot the discipline it takes to be fit.

Now I do the work. Every day. It's not even something I consider debating - it's just assumed I'm going to do it. But it took a year or more to get there.

I also remember that attaining a fitness goal is easier than maintaining a fitness goal.

But I hope others will see the benefits and follow.

4.png

Reactions: B1GTide

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
It was a LOT of work. It always is. I spent a decade of my life out of shape, overweight - I forgot the discipline it takes to be fit.

Now I do the work. Every day. It's not even something I consider debating - it's just assumed I'm going to do it. But it took a year or more to get there.

I also remember that attaining a fitness goal is easier than maintaining a fitness goal.

But I hope others will see the benefits and follow.

View attachment 21943
Do you have specific ruck equipment you’d recommend? I’ve done research into this but know nothing about it.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Do you have specific ruck equipment you’d recommend? I’ve done research into this but know nothing about it.
I highly recommend Goruck, excellent gear and training regiments:

And I'm happy to answer any questions regarding gear / training you might have. Rucking is used by the military (especially SOCOM) for training as it's low impact while yielding the benefits of running, calisthenics, and weight-lifting at once.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL

And I'm happy to answer any questions regarding gear / training you might have. Rucking is used by the military (especially SOCOM) for training as it's low impact while yielding the benefits of running, calisthenics, and weight-lifting at once.
Thank you, I’ll send you a PM some time tomorrow with a question or two

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga

As I age, I'm 61, I may need to consider this. I have been running for about 18 years but need to think about something more low impact. It's never too late to get into shape. Like anything else you have good and bad days. Once you make it a habit you will be surprised how much better you will feel and how guilty you will feel if you skip a day.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
As I age, I'm 61, I may need to consider this. I have been running for about 18 years but need to think about something more low impact. It's never too late to get into shape. Like anything else you have good and bad days. Once you make it a habit you will be surprised how much better you will feel and how guilty you will feel if you skip a day.
I've bilateral torn meniscuses at (almost) 50 - so running is a real chore, it literally hurts the entire time. Actually, rucking and walking does, too, but they're far more tolerable.

I've become a bit of a proselytizer regarding rucking - the number of people my age who continue to abuse their joints by running saddens me. Yeah, rucking takes longer, but the benefits are far greater - and I'll likely be rucking far longer than my running friends can still run...

Reactions: Toddrn and B1GTide
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.