What % do you think obesity contributes to the health problems in our country? - Page 3
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Go Bama's Avatar

Re: What % do you think obesity contributes to the health problems in our country?

Did the 8 PM to noon fast with absolutely no problem. I think I'm going to like this except having to listen to the repeated argument of breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

Thing is, I didn't want any more for lunch than usual.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar

Re: What % do you think obesity contributes to the health problems in our country?

Iím down 16 since Xmas. Goal is 50. Gym 3x/week. Only carbs from fruit and veggies. Lean meat. Using coconut oil. No grains.

8/month is a solid average.
    Doc Holliday: [to Johnny Ringo, after shooting him in a duel] You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCrimson View Post
    I’m down 16 since Xmas. Goal is 50. Gym 3x/week. Only carbs from fruit and veggies. Lean meat. Using coconut oil. No grains.

8/month is a solid average.
    Do you eat breakfast? If so, what do you eat?

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by day-day View Post
    Do you eat breakfast? If so, what do you eat?
    Eggs. Lean cut pork chops. And then I drink in Atkins vanilla shake at 10 AM. Only one net carb 15 g of protein 160 cal. It holds me pretty well. Sometimes I will have some Berries as well.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Displaced Bama Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    Thanks for that point of view NT17 and I do agree. Not all cases of obesity have to do with people not eating right or exercising. I know genetics (according to several doctors in my family) can play anywhere between 60%-70% of someone's health. And as you pointed to, there are also medicines in which to treat the problem the side effect is weight gain.

I know for me personally, I'd gotten so busy with other parts of my life that I didn't realize how much I was eating and how little I was moving. I remember when I first started I downloaded the MyFitnessPal app and began tracking what I ate. For the first two weeks all I did was track my food. I ate like I normally did. I was utterly shocked (and embarrassed) at the amount of food I was taking in. But what was even more embarrassing was I began looking back at all times we ate with other people at socials, family gatherings, restaurants etc. Though no one said a word in front of me. There's no doubt how much I was eating was noticed and more than likely talked about at some point on their ride home or not in my presence. Talk about embarrassing.

My friend who I mentioned in the original post is actually a great success story. He was overweight/obese (ballooned to over 350 lbs at his heaviest) for a lot of his teenage years and early adult life. I'm not sure when his road to Damascus moment was, but he completely changed his lifestyle, now runs marathons and is a picture of health. He told me he was shocked he didn't develop diabetes but he did have high blood pressure, cholesterol and other health issues that have now gone away.

Thanks again for the information.
    John Bender had an opinion on this:

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by NationalTitles17 View Post
    There does seem to be a genetic link. Genes have been discovered to predispose toward obesity and thinness. Certain ethnic groups tend to maintain higher BMI even with similar caloric intake as others. Not to be flippant, but the science doesn't care much what you think.What %? We don't know.

I never said every obese person is on medications that cause them to be obese. That is a gross distortion, but unless you know every medication those people are on you are just assuming. The whole point of me discussing that was to point out how bias (hello!) plays a part in how people are treated - in this case I focused on how they are treated by medical personnel, and it's not good.

Comparing a relatively wealthy population where food is plentiful and readily available to yesteryear is not really a good comparison.
    I do agree with your last statement for the most part.
    I meant with regard to the overall increase in the rate of obesity we are seeing in the US; I did not state it clearly in my original post. Of course genetics plays a role for individuals.

What are the big changes between now and say 30 to 40 years ago? I can think of food quality, food quantity, levels of activity, and amount of medication. Some can be controlled easier than others.

Super Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

I meant with regard to the overall increase in the rate of obesity we are seeing in the US; I did not state it clearly in my original post. Of course genetics plays a role for individuals.

What are the big changes between now and say 30 to 40 years ago? I can think of food quality, food quantity, levels of activity, and amount of medication. Some can be controlled easier than others.
    Good stuff. Yes, people eat more that is of lesser quality nutritionally and get little activity. Genetics and medication (including antibiotics, apparently) play a role.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Good stuff. Yes, people eat more that is of lesser quality nutritionally and get little activity. Genetics and medication (including antibiotics, apparently) play a role.
    Antibiotics! Wow. Seems like doctors prescribe these a lot of times even when they think patients have a viral infection "just in case". Seems like infants and small children are getting antibiotics all the time.

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Quote Originally Posted by Go Bama View Post
    Did the 8 PM to noon fast with absolutely no problem. I think I'm going to like this except having to listen to the repeated argument of breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

Thing is, I didn't want any more for lunch than usual.
    Congrats! Way to go! Give it a try for 90 days, mix in some exercise a few times a week and my guess is you'll be very pleased with the results.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

Super Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Antibiotics! Wow. Seems like doctors prescribe these a lot of times even when they think patients have a viral infection "just in case". Seems like infants and small children are getting antibiotics all the time.
    https://gut.bmj.com/content/68/1/62

Antibiotics, acid suppressants and the combination of multiple medications in the first 2 years of life are associated with a diagnosis of childhood obesity. Microbiota-altering medications administered in early childhood may influence weight gain.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Yeah, our pediatricians only gave our babies antibiotics within the first two years if they felt it was absolutely necessary. They point blank told us they did not like giving children antibiotics that early. I can't tell you how many sleepless nights my wife and I have had over the years because our doctors wouldn't give them an antibiotic and allowed their body to fight off the virus. For the long run I'm glad they did that. But for the immediate, two parents who have to get up early and work full time jobs and take care of other kids? Man, it was rough. LOL!
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/hea...ife/ar-BBUmztU

I too tried this 8PM to Noon the next day. No problem and I did not overeat for lunch. Going to see how far I can go, thanks Buzz. I little extra reading on the subject.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation Hall of Fame

I had looked up this article after you first mentioned the antibiotics. I think it had a lot of interesting points.

Antibiotics, obesity and the link to microbes - what are we doing to our children?