What % do you think obesity contributes to the health problems in our country? (ETA - and why is rucking the best answer? :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
How do you handle the weekends? For instance, my wife likes to fix a real breakfast (not grabbing something to eat on the way to work) on Saturday.
The lady who got my wife and I onto the fasting has a family tradition of eating at a local establishment every Saturday morning with her family. So she breaks her fast for that and then gets right back on it for the next day. One day isn't going to interrupt or derail the overall process. She eats breakfast that morning then doesn't eat anything after 8 pm that night, getting back on the fasting schedule.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The lady who got my wife and I onto the fasting has a family tradition of eating at a local establishment every Saturday morning with her family. So she breaks her fast for that and then gets right back on it for the next day. One day isn't going to interrupt or derail the overall process. She eats breakfast that morning then doesn't eat anything after 8 pm that night, getting back on the fasting schedule.
Whew... Would be pretty difficult to do during football season and kickoff at 11.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
This is my experience. Take last night for example. Had ball practice for the boys, didn't get home until 7:00 pm. I ended up leaving 450 calories "on the table" from what I was planning on eating for the day because I couldn't eat all of them.

From article posted by GrayTide:
There’s another reason why 16:8’ers might end up eating less. “I think participants found it difficult to eat all of their regular meals and snacks within the 8-hour timeframe,” says Kristina Varady, PhD, associate professor of nutrition at the University of Illinois Chicago and a coauthor of the Nutrition and Healthy Aging study. If trying to eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner between 10:00 AM and 6:00 PM seems like a squeeze, you’ll likely end up cutting out a meal or shrinking your portions.

Last edited:

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/909500?src=soc_fb_190309_mscpedt_news_mdscp_obesity&faf=1

Blaming food for causing obesity is like blaming water intake for edema or blaming the glucose bolus for diabetes. An individual with an impairment in energy balance will find it easier to gain weight on energy-dense food than another individual eating the same food who does not have an impairment in energy balance.
Although obesity has many causes, as we'll discuss below, its current treatment involves creating an energy deficit by reducing food intake. The fact that reducing food intake may produce weight loss is often considered proof that obesity is caused by food. However, that does not demonstrate its role in causing obesity. Often, cause and treatment are not two sides of the same coin. Excessive exposure to UV radiation may contribute to skin cancer, but its treatment does not involve placing a person in a dark room, away from sunlight.
A popular and simplistic assumption is that energy balance is completely under volitional control, which stems from the observation that individuals control their food intake and physical activity. However, the numerous controls up- and downstream that collectively determine energy balance are ignored.There are numerous physiologic factors beyond volitional control that influence energy balance and keep energy storage within a reasonable range. Such nonvolitional controls may explain why some individuals eat seemingly huge amounts of food but have lean body weight.Factors that regulate energy balance include acute, medium, and long-term control of energy intake and expenditure, and may have some overlapping functions.
A popular misconception is that weight gain can be predicted using a simple math of calories: If you gain 1 lb, you have eaten 3500 calories more than your requirement.Not quite. The Vermont prisoner study was one of the early studies showing how difficult it is to make willing participants gain weight by forced overfeeding.[10] Although conventional wisdom calculates that 3500 excess calories leads to 1 lb of weight gain, these participants required a many-fold greater calorie surplus to gain 1 lb.Bouchard and colleagues[11] reported another such compelling example. They enrolled twin participants who underwent an 84-day forced overfeeding inpatient trial. Under constant monitoring and surveillance, the participants received a surplus of 1000 kcal per day.
The calculated weight gain expected during the trial was 24 lb. Instead, the actual range of weight gain was 9-30 lb. Despite identical surplus energy intakes, some individuals were very resistant to storage of surplus energy, whereas others had a physiology very conducive to weight gain. Moreover, the difference was greater between twin pairs but not as much within twin pairs, indicating a strong genetic influence on the propensity to gain weight.A prominent example of the genetic control of weight regulation is the study conducted by Stunkard and colleagues[12] of twins separated at birth and reared separately. They observed that even when reared separately, body weights of the twins matched closely with each other. They concluded that "genetic influences on body-mass index are substantial, whereas the childhood environment has little or no influence."The dominance of genetic over environmental influence on body weight was also demonstrated in a study that showed a strong link between the body weights of adopted children and their biological parents, but not at all with their adoptive parents.[13] These studies indicate a stronger influence of genetics on determining body weight than food or related habits of a household.Furthermore, the body has mechanisms to resist changes in body energy stores, which can offset mathematical expectations based on calorie intake calculations. Leibel and colleagues[14] showed that bodies that were overfed resisted weight gain by increasing metabolic rate.Alternatively, on a weight loss diet, metabolic rate was decreased and weight loss was resisted. These studies suggest that mechanisms beyond a person's voluntary control regulate energy stores and can make it easier or harder for different individuals to gain weight.
'It's Just a Lack of Willpower'Impairments in energy balance mechanisms that lead to energy surplus cannot be changed with willpower. Thyroid disorders can increase or decrease energy reserves by influencing metabolic rate. Or, suboptimally functioning ghrelin, PYY, or GLP1 may cause difficulties regulating food intake.[15,16]In obesity, there is delayed reduction of ghrelin and delayed induction of satiety hormones. Two individuals offered identical meals will consume different quantities depending on their individual meal termination signals conveyed by their satiety and hunger hormones.If we were asked to reduce the rate of breathing to 10 times per minute, we would certainly be able to comply. The critical question is, for how long?They may appear to volitionally eat more or less, even if they are both responding to their respective internal satiety signals. Although food intake is noticeable, the factors that regulate the intake are not apparent, lending support to simplistic assumptions about an individual's willpower.
I post the above not to discourage anyone from doing things that can make a difference, but to reinforce earlier statements about the complexity of the problem, the role of genetics, and especially the blame game that gets played with obesity.

There's more in the article that points to genetics and disease influences.

So yeah, do what you can but be careful. Get your kids active and get them to eat a nutritious diet. Do the same for yourself.

The research is interesting as we learn more and more about the obesity, its causes, and possible treatments that go well beyond diet and activity.

Carry on. :)

Last edited:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Got my test results today. I need to lose some weight, my cholesterol was a bit high. I could lose some weight and get that under control. Now that the weather is warmer, I can start biking regularly again.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I will throw this in - fasting, if you have severe familial GERD is not only impossible, it can be dangerous. For those like me who have CAD on both sides, I'd add that I've found one thing which has made a difference. I'd tried it all, statins, diet, exercise. My CAD progressed on to a bypass, despite having excellent cholesterol, very low CRP, normal glucose, etc., etc. Then I ran across vitamin KII, citation to articles below, and started to see a real difference. Six months after the bypass, my native right coronary artery (RCA) had opened up and taken over the job of the graft. The graft withered away. Now, this artery had been a problem for years and was stented. My cardiologist once, while trying to force a stent through it called it a "concrete tunnel" to his assistant. That hurt, even if he were a friend. Now, it's normal. On top of that, the slowly progressing occlusion in my carotids has reversed and is improving, something very rare. K2 mediates the deposition of calcium in the body. Enough of it diverts calcium from the arteries to the bones. It's almost impossible to get enough through diet. (Vitamin K1 is converted to small amounts K2 by the body.) Supplementation seems to be the only answer...

NIH

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I will throw this in - fasting, if you have severe familial GERD is not only impossible, it can be dangerous. For those like me who have CAD on both sides, I'd add that I've found one thing which has made a difference. I'd tried it all, statins, diet, exercise. My CAD progressed on to a bypass, despite having excellent cholesterol, very low CRP, normal glucose, etc., etc. Then I ran across vitamin KII, citation to articles below, and started to see a real difference. Six months after the bypass, my native right coronary artery (RCA) had opened up and taken over the job of the graft. The graft withered away. Now, this artery had been a problem for years and was stented. My cardiologist once, while trying to force a stent through it called it a "concrete tunnel" to his assistant. That hurt, even if he were a friend. Now, it's normal. On top of that, the slowly progressing occlusion in my carotids has reversed and is improving, something very rare. K2 mediates the deposition of calcium in the body. Enough of it diverts calcium from the arteries to the bones. It's almost impossible to get enough through diet. (Vitamin K1 is converted to small amounts K2 by the body.) Supplementation seems to be the only answer...

NIH
This also: NIH. There are numerous articles on it and one study involving, IIRC, 34K Hollanders. Frankly, IDK why it's not more widely spread...

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017

NIH
I had a similar situation and managed to live with my blocked arteries for five years with a very strict diet regimen and exercise. The stress of a difficult business partner forced me into a bypass in 2010. I have taken D3 for years which appears to be helpful in fixing calcium but found Vit K2 about two years ago and have been taking 90 mg of MK-7 daily which I understand is critical for fixing calcium in bones and teeth as opposed to allowing it to circulate in the blood where it is easily laid down over inflammation. I follow a couple of cardiologist on line and one is now personally taking 180 mg daily. I think based on your comments I will step up to that amount. BTW I have begun increasing my dosage of CoQ10 to 300 mg per day and have found a difference in my energy levels almost immediately. Recently I have refocused on my diet and exercise and am hoping to keep my carotids open. It is challenging if we haven't been dealt the right genes.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I had a similar situation and managed to live with my blocked arteries for five years with a very strict diet regimen and exercise. The stress of a difficult business partner forced me into a bypass in 2010. I have taken D3 for years which appears to be helpful in fixing calcium but found Vit K2 about two years ago and have been taking 90 mg of MK-7 daily which I understand is critical for fixing calcium in bones and teeth as opposed to allowing it to circulate in the blood where it is easily laid down over inflammation. I follow a couple of cardiologist on line and one is now personally taking 180 mg daily. I think based on your comments I will step up to that amount. BTW I have begun increasing my dosage of CoQ10 to 300 mg per day and have found a difference in my energy levels almost immediately. Recently I have refocused on my diet and exercise and am hoping to keep my carotids open. It is challenging if we haven't been dealt the right genes.
Here is the K2 I'm taking: Amazon. You might switch from Q10 to UbiQuinol, which is about six times more effective. It's what your body converts Q10 into to make it usable, anyway...

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Noon today ended my first week of IF. So far everything seems to be AOK. No bad hunger pangs, eating rougly the same foods and amounts I ate before, but now eating them between noon and 8PM. Looking forward to week #2.

Reactions: Con

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I’m 18 days in now and have not eaten anything at all between 8 PM and noon since starting. I’m down about 4-7 pounds depending on the time of day and my salt intake. I don’t worry about sodium as much as I should.

The only issues I have are when there are plans for the evening. For example my praise band rehearsal requires me to be at church at 6:30 PM and I don’t get home until 9. Wednesday choir practice is 7-8. Thursdays we work through lunch to get off at 2 but sometimes you get off at 3. So there are times when the fast will be 20 hours rather than 16 but even then it’s still not very hard to stay the course.

Reactions: Con

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
My second week ends at noon today. Like Go Bama I have not eaten anything between 8PM and noon the following day since I started Not sure how much weight I have loss, possibly 2-3 pounds. I don't see anything wrong with changing your schedule provided your stop and start times have the same number of fasting hours, 9-1 or 10-2.

Last edited:

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
My second week ends at noon today. Like Go Bama I have not eaten anything between 8PM and noon the following day since I started Not sure how much weight I have loss, possibly 2-3 pounds. I don't see anything wrong with changing your schedule provided your stop and start times has the same number of fasting hours, 9-1 or 10-2.
I will probably eventually shift my schedule like you suggest. During Lent this is my commitment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.