What % do you think obesity contributes to the health problems in our country? - Page 5
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Re: What % do you think obesity contributes to the health problems in our country?

I agree that liquids are an important part of the fasting period, coffee, iced tea, and water. After just three days it is somewhat hard to judge how much I eat between noon and 8PM. Not sure I have eaten less but certainly not any more.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation Hall of Fame Go Bama's Avatar

Re: What % do you think obesity contributes to the health problems in our country?

Quote Originally Posted by day-day View Post
    Tobacco on a sandwich; is that a Milan thing? No wonder this diet works if you are going to chew then spit.
    Yep, a little Red Man moistens the turkey.

Spellcheck ... gees.

Alright, figured I would try the fasting today. Had my usual cup of coffee when I woke up. Had to eat a banana on the way into work because I had that "need something on my stomach before I get sick" feeling. I'll see if I can make it to noon for lunch.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Alright, figured I would try the fasting today. Had my usual cup of coffee when I woke up. Had to eat a banana on the way into work because I had that "need something on my stomach before I get sick" feeling. I'll see if I can make it to noon for lunch.
    Update: Made it to lunch. Didn't eat nearly as fast as I normally do. Not sure if it was because I was talking or what.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

I really started to see benefits after two weeks. Especially in the mental clarity and energy department.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

4 days in, so far so good.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    4 days in, so far so good.
    I can't wait to read your report after the two week mark. That is really when I started to feel a lot better.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

How do you handle the weekends? For instance, my wife likes to fix a real breakfast (not grabbing something to eat on the way to work) on Saturday.
    -- Coach Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    How do you handle the weekends? For instance, my wife likes to fix a real breakfast (not grabbing something to eat on the way to work) on Saturday.
    The lady who got my wife and I onto the fasting has a family tradition of eating at a local establishment every Saturday morning with her family. So she breaks her fast for that and then gets right back on it for the next day. One day isn't going to interrupt or derail the overall process. She eats breakfast that morning then doesn't eat anything after 8 pm that night, getting back on the fasting schedule.
    Last edited by Bamabuzzard; March 8th, 2019 at 08:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    The lady who got my wife and I onto the fasting has a family tradition of eating at a local establishment every Saturday morning with her family. So she breaks her fast for that and then gets right back on it for the next day. One day isn't going to interrupt or derail the overall process. She eats breakfast that morning then doesn't eat anything after 8 pm that night, getting back on the fasting schedule.
    Whew... Would be pretty difficult to do during football season and kickoff at 11.
    -- Coach Bryant

https://www.prevention.com/food-nutr...diet-benefits/

Another article that provides some variation in the 16:8 plan.

This is my experience. Take last night for example. Had ball practice for the boys, didn't get home until 7:00 pm. I ended up leaving 450 calories "on the table" from what I was planning on eating for the day because I couldn't eat all of them.

From article posted by GrayTide:
    There’s another reason why 16:8’ers might end up eating less. “I think participants found it difficult to eat all of their regular meals and snacks within the 8-hour timeframe,” says Kristina Varady, PhD, associate professor of nutrition at the University of Illinois Chicago and a coauthor of the Nutrition and Healthy Aging study. If trying to eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner between 10:00 AM and 6:00 PM seems like a squeeze, you’ll likely end up cutting out a meal or shrinking your portions.
    Last edited by Bamabuzzard; March 8th, 2019 at 11:00 AM.

Super Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle..._obesity&faf=1

Blaming food for causing obesity is like blaming water intake for edema or blaming the glucose bolus for diabetes. An individual with an impairment in energy balance will find it easier to gain weight on energy-dense food than another individual eating the same food who does not have an impairment in energy balance.
    Although obesity has many causes, as we'll discuss below, its current treatment involves creating an energy deficit by reducing food intake. The fact that reducing food intake may produce weight loss is often considered proof that obesity is caused by food. However, that does not demonstrate its role in causing obesity. Often, cause and treatment are not two sides of the same coin. Excessive exposure to UV radiation may contribute to skin cancer, but its treatment does not involve placing a person in a dark room, away from sunlight.
    A popular and simplistic assumption is that energy balance is completely under volitional control, which stems from the observation that individuals control their food intake and physical activity. However, the numerous controls up- and downstream that collectively determine energy balance are ignored.There are numerous physiologic factors beyond volitional control that influence energy balance and keep energy storage within a reasonable range. Such nonvolitional controls may explain why some individuals eat seemingly huge amounts of food but have lean body weight.Factors that regulate energy balance include acute, medium, and long-term control of energy intake and expenditure, and may have some overlapping functions.
    A popular misconception is that weight gain can be predicted using a simple math of calories: If you gain 1 lb, you have eaten 3500 calories more than your requirement.Not quite. The Vermont prisoner study was one of the early studies showing how difficult it is to make willing participants gain weight by forced overfeeding.[10] Although conventional wisdom calculates that 3500 excess calories leads to 1 lb of weight gain, these participants required a many-fold greater calorie surplus to gain 1 lb.Bouchard and colleagues[11] reported another such compelling example. They enrolled twin participants who underwent an 84-day forced overfeeding inpatient trial. Under constant monitoring and surveillance, the participants received a surplus of 1000 kcal per day.
    The calculated weight gain expected during the trial was 24 lb. Instead, the actual range of weight gain was 9-30 lb. Despite identical surplus energy intakes, some individuals were very resistant to storage of surplus energy, whereas others had a physiology very conducive to weight gain. Moreover, the difference was greater between twin pairs but not as much within twin pairs, indicating a strong genetic influence on the propensity to gain weight.A prominent example of the genetic control of weight regulation is the study conducted by Stunkard and colleagues[12] of twins separated at birth and reared separately. They observed that even when reared separately, body weights of the twins matched closely with each other. They concluded that "genetic influences on body-mass index are substantial, whereas the childhood environment has little or no influence."The dominance of genetic over environmental influence on body weight was also demonstrated in a study that showed a strong link between the body weights of adopted children and their biological parents, but not at all with their adoptive parents.[13] These studies indicate a stronger influence of genetics on determining body weight than food or related habits of a household.Furthermore, the body has mechanisms to resist changes in body energy stores, which can offset mathematical expectations based on calorie intake calculations. Leibel and colleagues[14] showed that bodies that were overfed resisted weight gain by increasing metabolic rate.Alternatively, on a weight loss diet, metabolic rate was decreased and weight loss was resisted. These studies suggest that mechanisms beyond a person's voluntary control regulate energy stores and can make it easier or harder for different individuals to gain weight.
    'It's Just a Lack of Willpower'Impairments in energy balance mechanisms that lead to energy surplus cannot be changed with willpower. Thyroid disorders can increase or decrease energy reserves by influencing metabolic rate. Or, suboptimally functioning ghrelin, PYY, or GLP1 may cause difficulties regulating food intake.[15,16]In obesity, there is delayed reduction of ghrelin and delayed induction of satiety hormones. Two individuals offered identical meals will consume different quantities depending on their individual meal termination signals conveyed by their satiety and hunger hormones.If we were asked to reduce the rate of breathing to 10 times per minute, we would certainly be able to comply. The critical question is, for how long?They may appear to volitionally eat more or less, even if they are both responding to their respective internal satiety signals. Although food intake is noticeable, the factors that regulate the intake are not apparent, lending support to simplistic assumptions about an individual's willpower.
    I post the above not to discourage anyone from doing things that can make a difference, but to reinforce earlier statements about the complexity of the problem, the role of genetics, and especially the blame game that gets played with obesity.

There's more in the article that points to genetics and disease influences.

So yeah, do what you can but be careful. Get your kids active and get them to eat a nutritious diet. Do the same for yourself.

The research is interesting as we learn more and more about the obesity, its causes, and possible treatments that go well beyond diet and activity.

Carry on.
    Last edited by NationalTitles17; March 9th, 2019 at 03:02 PM.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.