What % do you think obesity contributes to the health problems in our country? - Page 6
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

Re: What % do you think obesity contributes to the health problems in our country?

Got my test results today. I need to lose some weight, my cholesterol was a bit high. I could lose some weight and get that under control. Now that the weather is warmer, I can start biking regularly again.
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll

Re: What % do you think obesity contributes to the health problems in our country?

I've been doing occasional fasting (16/8, 17/7, 18/6 it varies) ever since reading this article recently

http://discovermagazine.com/2018/oct/not-so-fast

I will throw this in - fasting, if you have severe familial GERD is not only impossible, it can be dangerous. For those like me who have CAD on both sides, I'd add that I've found one thing which has made a difference. I'd tried it all, statins, diet, exercise. My CAD progressed on to a bypass, despite having excellent cholesterol, very low CRP, normal glucose, etc., etc. Then I ran across vitamin KII, citation to articles below, and started to see a real difference. Six months after the bypass, my native right coronary artery (RCA) had opened up and taken over the job of the graft. The graft withered away. Now, this artery had been a problem for years and was stented. My cardiologist once, while trying to force a stent through it called it a "concrete tunnel" to his assistant. That hurt, even if he were a friend. Now, it's normal. On top of that, the slowly progressing occlusion in my carotids has reversed and is improving, something very rare. K2 mediates the deposition of calcium in the body. Enough of it diverts calcium from the arteries to the bones. It's almost impossible to get enough through diet. (Vitamin K1 is converted to small amounts K2 by the body.) Supplementation seems to be the only answer...

NIH
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    I will throw this in - fasting, if you have severe familial GERD is not only impossible, it can be dangerous. For those like me who have CAD on both sides, I'd add that I've found one thing which has made a difference. I'd tried it all, statins, diet, exercise. My CAD progressed on to a bypass, despite having excellent cholesterol, very low CRP, normal glucose, etc., etc. Then I ran across vitamin KII, citation to articles below, and started to see a real difference. Six months after the bypass, my native right coronary artery (RCA) had opened up and taken over the job of the graft. The graft withered away. Now, this artery had been a problem for years and was stented. My cardiologist once, while trying to force a stent through it called it a "concrete tunnel" to his assistant. That hurt, even if he were a friend. Now, it's normal. On top of that, the slowly progressing occlusion in my carotids has reversed and is improving, something very rare. K2 mediates the deposition of calcium in the body. Enough of it diverts calcium from the arteries to the bones. It's almost impossible to get enough through diet. (Vitamin K1 is converted to small amounts K2 by the body.) Supplementation seems to be the only answer...

NIH
    This also: NIH. There are numerous articles on it and one study involving, IIRC, 34K Hollanders. Frankly, IDK why it's not more widely spread...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post

NIH
    I had a similar situation and managed to live with my blocked arteries for five years with a very strict diet regimen and exercise. The stress of a difficult business partner forced me into a bypass in 2010. I have taken D3 for years which appears to be helpful in fixing calcium but found Vit K2 about two years ago and have been taking 90 mg of MK-7 daily which I understand is critical for fixing calcium in bones and teeth as opposed to allowing it to circulate in the blood where it is easily laid down over inflammation. I follow a couple of cardiologist on line and one is now personally taking 180 mg daily. I think based on your comments I will step up to that amount. BTW I have begun increasing my dosage of CoQ10 to 300 mg per day and have found a difference in my energy levels almost immediately. Recently I have refocused on my diet and exercise and am hoping to keep my carotids open. It is challenging if we haven't been dealt the right genes.

Quote Originally Posted by UAH View Post
    I had a similar situation and managed to live with my blocked arteries for five years with a very strict diet regimen and exercise. The stress of a difficult business partner forced me into a bypass in 2010. I have taken D3 for years which appears to be helpful in fixing calcium but found Vit K2 about two years ago and have been taking 90 mg of MK-7 daily which I understand is critical for fixing calcium in bones and teeth as opposed to allowing it to circulate in the blood where it is easily laid down over inflammation. I follow a couple of cardiologist on line and one is now personally taking 180 mg daily. I think based on your comments I will step up to that amount. BTW I have begun increasing my dosage of CoQ10 to 300 mg per day and have found a difference in my energy levels almost immediately. Recently I have refocused on my diet and exercise and am hoping to keep my carotids open. It is challenging if we haven't been dealt the right genes.
    Here is the K2 I'm taking: Amazon. You might switch from Q10 to UbiQuinol, which is about six times more effective. It's what your body converts Q10 into to make it usable, anyway...

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Noon today ended my first week of IF. So far everything seems to be AOK. No bad hunger pangs, eating rougly the same foods and amounts I ate before, but now eating them between noon and 8PM. Looking forward to week #2.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation Hall of Fame Go Bama's Avatar

I’m 18 days in now and have not eaten anything at all between 8 PM and noon since starting. I’m down about 4-7 pounds depending on the time of day and my salt intake. I don’t worry about sodium as much as I should.

The only issues I have are when there are plans for the evening. For example my praise band rehearsal requires me to be at church at 6:30 PM and I don’t get home until 9. Wednesday choir practice is 7-8. Thursdays we work through lunch to get off at 2 but sometimes you get off at 3. So there are times when the fast will be 20 hours rather than 16 but even then it’s still not very hard to stay the course.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

My second week ends at noon today. Like Go Bama I have not eaten anything between 8PM and noon the following day since I started Not sure how much weight I have loss, possibly 2-3 pounds. I don't see anything wrong with changing your schedule provided your stop and start times have the same number of fasting hours, 9-1 or 10-2.
    Last edited by GrayTide; March 18th, 2019 at 02:47 PM.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation Hall of Fame Go Bama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    My second week ends at noon today. Like Go Bama I have not eaten anything between 8PM and noon the following day since I started Not sure how much weight I have loss, possibly 2-3 pounds. I don't see anything wrong with changing your schedule provided your stop and start times has the same number of fasting hours, 9-1 or 10-2.
    I will probably eventually shift my schedule like you suggest. During Lent this is my commitment.

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Any of y'all still doing the fasting?
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    I started eating a salad every day for lunch. Does that count?

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    I have a 3 week old baby at home now. Does that answer your question?
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson