What % do you think obesity contributes to the health problems in our country? - Page 7
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Re: What % do you think obesity contributes to the health problems in our country?

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    I have a 3 week old baby at home now. Does that answer your question?
    First off Congratulations! God bless you my brother. I've done it five times, got that fixed and now play with house money, and it SHO IZ FUN!!!
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

Re: What % do you think obesity contributes to the health problems in our country?

Deleted-Double Post
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation Hall of Fame Go Bama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    Any of y'all still doing the fasting?
    Yes, since March 1.

I go crappie fishing every spring with friends and last week was it. We fish Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. It's guys only so there's also spitting, scratching, cussing, and more alcohol than I'll consume in the rest of the year. Good times.

The guys thought I had lost my mind because I refused to eat between 8 PM and noon. I just ate breakfast at noon. The truth is I'm feeling much better because of the fasting so I plan to stay with it for a while, at least until I stop losing weight.

We caught about 50 fish. We used to catch over 200. The Asian carp have really hurt crappie fishing in Kentucky Lake. At least it was enough for a good fish fry.
    I

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Thanks for posting Buzz, I thought about this last night. I started week #6 on Monday 4/8. Still eating between 12-8PM only. Have had no problems with hunger, so will keep on keeping on. Feel as though I may be down 4-5 pounds since I started.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Once a week an 18/6 or longer

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/wel...nb7Kz#image=52

Looks bad for the deep south in the most obese category.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

I've now lost a total of 46 lbs since doing the fasting/carb cycling. Stepped on the scales yesterday for the first time in literally weeks and pleasantly surprised at the number I saw.
    Last edited by Bamabuzzard; April 17th, 2019 at 10:23 AM.

I've now lost a total of 46 lbs since doing the fasting/carb cycling. Stepped on the scales yesterday for the first time in literally weeks and pleasantly surprised at the number I saw.
    When did you start?

Quote Originally Posted by Go Bama View Post
    When did you start?
    December 2018.

December 2018.
    those are pretty solid results for four months. congrats.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    those are pretty solid results for four months. congrats.
    Full disclosure: Two years ago I lost a lot of weight through MyFitnessPal and a lot of cardio. But it wasn't sustainable. I had ZERO weight training. Hindsight being 20/20, I see a lot of things I was doing that wasn't setting me up for long term maintenance. So I ended up gaining a lot of the weight back (not all of it, but over half of it). With incorporating the weights, cutting way back on the cardio (I didn't realize I was losing a lot of muscle mass through this) and learning how to fast. It has been an entirely different experience. I've actually ENJOYED doing this. The other was nothing more than a job.

Almost forgot, having 3 low carb days and 4 regular carb days has really helped.
    Last edited by Bamabuzzard; April 17th, 2019 at 02:55 PM.

Full disclosure: Two years ago I lost a lot of weight through MyFitnessPal and a lot of cardio. But it wasn't sustainable. I had ZERO weight training. Hindsight being 20/20, I see a lot of things I was doing that wasn't setting me up for long term maintenance. So I ended up gaining a lot of the weight back (not all of it, but over half of it). With incorporating the weights, cutting way back on the cardio (I didn't realize I was losing a lot of muscle mass through this) and learning how to fast. It has been an entirely different experience. I've actually ENJOYED doing this. The other was nothing more than a job.

Almost forgot, having 3 low carb days and 4 regular carb days has really helped.
    That’s awesome, Buzzard! Dang.

I’ve been walking but probably need to start some lifting.
    Last edited by Go Bama; April 17th, 2019 at 03:43 PM.

BamaNation First Team

Food is too much involved in Americans daily life. Yes, you need to eat. Yes, you must eat a good balance of things. But it's every other thought and word for a lot of us. It's thrown at us constantly on our drive to work and back home, all over the television, sporting events, school events, so on and so forth. It's TOO available, unfortunately, and not great for you stuff, either. There is just too much of it, too much of a part of our daily conversations, thoughts, and plans. Eating is to needed to sustain us. We eat to live. But the way food is embedded in our every moment of the day, every sight and sound and smell, it is as though we are living to eat. And, on a more grand conversation, it's part of the "consumption narrative". America MUST consume to grow, or we go backwards economically.

Eat more. Feed others more. Buy more food. Gain weight as a result. Visit the doctor more. Find out you have health problems, so buy more medications. Join more gyms. Not go, opting instead to sit at home and eat. Consume consume consume. Eat eat eat. It is all symptomatic of our American obsession with consumption, and it's now necessary, unfortunately, or lots of doctors and nurses and clinics and entire industries die. If we stop our behavior that is bad for us, restaurants close, jobs are lost, recession ensues, and the cycle will deteriorate. But we wouldn't be fat. Or as fat, anyway.

But I'm not completely pessimistic. For my eternal optimists here, many Americans have stopped smoking. It's not because cigarettes aren't for sale anymore; sure, they are. But we buy less of them. We do it less. It can be done. And America didn't fold up because we stopped smoking, or slowed it down some anyway. We can get away from bad food, eating less of it, and caring about the next meal or snack less. Lastly, as it relates to tobacco use and food: I believe there to be some indirect correlation between Americans stopping smoking, or cutting it back anyway, and our weight gain. I don't have research, but I've got 43 years on planet earth, and smoking began to tail off in the 1990's to 2000. And that's about the time obesity rates took off in America.

Maybe RJR or Philip Morris owns some fast food chains or something .