What % do you think obesity contributes to the health problems in our country? (ETA - and why is rucking the best answer? :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Any of y'all still doing the fasting?
Yes, since March 1.

I go crappie fishing every spring with friends and last week was it. We fish Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. It's guys only so there's also spitting, scratching, cussing, and more alcohol than I'll consume in the rest of the year. Good times.

The guys thought I had lost my mind because I refused to eat between 8 PM and noon. I just ate breakfast at noon. The truth is I'm feeling much better because of the fasting so I plan to stay with it for a while, at least until I stop losing weight.

We caught about 50 fish. We used to catch over 200. The Asian carp have really hurt crappie fishing in Kentucky Lake. At least it was enough for a good fish fry.
I

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Any of y'all still doing the fasting?
Thanks for posting Buzz, I thought about this last night. I started week #6 on Monday 4/8. Still eating between 12-8PM only. Have had no problems with hunger, so will keep on keeping on. Feel as though I may be down 4-5 pounds since I started.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
those are pretty solid results for four months. congrats.
Full disclosure: Two years ago I lost a lot of weight through MyFitnessPal and a lot of cardio. But it wasn't sustainable. I had ZERO weight training. Hindsight being 20/20, I see a lot of things I was doing that wasn't setting me up for long term maintenance. So I ended up gaining a lot of the weight back (not all of it, but over half of it). With incorporating the weights, cutting way back on the cardio (I didn't realize I was losing a lot of muscle mass through this) and learning how to fast. It has been an entirely different experience. I've actually ENJOYED doing this. The other was nothing more than a job.

Almost forgot, having 3 low carb days and 4 regular carb days has really helped.

Last edited:

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Full disclosure: Two years ago I lost a lot of weight through MyFitnessPal and a lot of cardio. But it wasn't sustainable. I had ZERO weight training. Hindsight being 20/20, I see a lot of things I was doing that wasn't setting me up for long term maintenance. So I ended up gaining a lot of the weight back (not all of it, but over half of it). With incorporating the weights, cutting way back on the cardio (I didn't realize I was losing a lot of muscle mass through this) and learning how to fast. It has been an entirely different experience. I've actually ENJOYED doing this. The other was nothing more than a job.

Almost forgot, having 3 low carb days and 4 regular carb days has really helped.
That’s awesome, Buzzard! Dang.

I’ve been walking but probably need to start some lifting.

Last edited:

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
Food is too much involved in Americans daily life. Yes, you need to eat. Yes, you must eat a good balance of things. But it's every other thought and word for a lot of us. It's thrown at us constantly on our drive to work and back home, all over the television, sporting events, school events, so on and so forth. It's TOO available, unfortunately, and not great for you stuff, either. There is just too much of it, too much of a part of our daily conversations, thoughts, and plans. Eating is to needed to sustain us. We eat to live. But the way food is embedded in our every moment of the day, every sight and sound and smell, it is as though we are living to eat. And, on a more grand conversation, it's part of the "consumption narrative". America MUST consume to grow, or we go backwards economically.

Eat more. Feed others more. Buy more food. Gain weight as a result. Visit the doctor more. Find out you have health problems, so buy more medications. Join more gyms. Not go, opting instead to sit at home and eat. Consume consume consume. Eat eat eat. It is all symptomatic of our American obsession with consumption, and it's now necessary, unfortunately, or lots of doctors and nurses and clinics and entire industries die. If we stop our behavior that is bad for us, restaurants close, jobs are lost, recession ensues, and the cycle will deteriorate. But we wouldn't be fat. Or as fat, anyway.

But I'm not completely pessimistic. For my eternal optimists here, many Americans have stopped smoking. It's not because cigarettes aren't for sale anymore; sure, they are. But we buy less of them. We do it less. It can be done. And America didn't fold up because we stopped smoking, or slowed it down some anyway. We can get away from bad food, eating less of it, and caring about the next meal or snack less. Lastly, as it relates to tobacco use and food: I believe there to be some indirect correlation between Americans stopping smoking, or cutting it back anyway, and our weight gain. I don't have research, but I've got 43 years on planet earth, and smoking began to tail off in the 1990's to 2000. And that's about the time obesity rates took off in America.

Maybe RJR or Philip Morris owns some fast food chains or something :D.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Food is too much involved in Americans daily life. Yes, you need to eat. Yes, you must eat a good balance of things. But it's every other thought and word for a lot of us. It's thrown at us constantly on our drive to work and back home, all over the television, sporting events, school events, so on and so forth. It's TOO available, unfortunately, and not great for you stuff, either. There is just too much of it, too much of a part of our daily conversations, thoughts, and plans. Eating is to needed to sustain us. We eat to live. But the way food is embedded in our every moment of the day, every sight and sound and smell, it is as though we are living to eat. And, on a more grand conversation, it's part of the "consumption narrative". America MUST consume to grow, or we go backwards economically.

Eat more. Feed others more. Buy more food. Gain weight as a result. Visit the doctor more. Find out you have health problems, so buy more medications. Join more gyms. Not go, opting instead to sit at home and eat. Consume consume consume. Eat eat eat. It is all symptomatic of our American obsession with consumption, and it's now necessary, unfortunately, or lots of doctors and nurses and clinics and entire industries die. If we stop our behavior that is bad for us, restaurants close, jobs are lost, recession ensues, and the cycle will deteriorate. But we wouldn't be fat. Or as fat, anyway.

But I'm not completely pessimistic. For my eternal optimists here, many Americans have stopped smoking. It's not because cigarettes aren't for sale anymore; sure, they are. But we buy less of them. We do it less. It can be done. And America didn't fold up because we stopped smoking, or slowed it down some anyway. We can get away from bad food, eating less of it, and caring about the next meal or snack less. Lastly, as it relates to tobacco use and food: I believe there to be some indirect correlation between Americans stopping smoking, or cutting it back anyway, and our weight gain. I don't have research, but I've got 43 years on planet earth, and smoking began to tail off in the 1990's to 2000. And that's about the time obesity rates took off in America.

Maybe RJR or Philip Morris owns some fast food chains or something :D.
I believe there is a lot of merit to your bolded comment. Quit smoking gain weight, get tired of being overweight, go back to smoking, a vicious cycle.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Stepped on the scales this morning and am down 68 lbs since I started actually making an effort to lose weight two and half years ago. Never thought I could do it. Now the hard part is keeping it off. That's where the hard part starts. Wish me luck!

Reactions: Con

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Don't know how much weight I have lost, but I can wear pants I haven't been able to wear in two plus years. No problem with the 8 on and 16 off eating cycle.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Stepped on the scales this morning and am down 68 lbs since I started actually making an effort to lose weight two and half years ago. Never thought I could do it. Now the hard part is keeping it off. That's where the hard part starts. Wish me luck!
Man, that's awesome! Think about carrying around two 35 lb dumbbells all day. That's what you've lost essentially.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Thank you and you're exactly right. It's amazing (not in a good way btw, LOL) how much extra weight I was carrying everyday.
Well, I'm following your lead. I've cut back my intakes and walking more. Would like to drop at least 40 by next May when my son graduates to look good for senior/parent baseball pictures. ;)

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I have started back biking regularly. My goal is 2 days bike one day off (not realy off, I will do crunches and push-ups, just no biking). I have adjusted my trainer (basically a bike stand that turns it into a stationary) just in case it rains on my bike day. If it rains several days and then suddenly I get a clear day, I will adjust accordingly. I have stopped a lot of the bad habits I have picked up since my accident. No more going to the deli across the lobby, no more junk food, etc. I am going to get back to my pre-accident weight (168) and possibly less. I am actually back at my weight before I ever started biking in 2011. The biking is going well, I stop less, and I have made it up some steep hills without having to walk it up. I should be back to my weight goal by Fall.

Reactions: Con
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.