What % do you think obesity contributes to the health problems in our country? (ETA - and why is rucking the best answer? :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
I would also throw in there stress level of corporate/working America doesn't help either. We have people retire in our department who've put in 30+ years. They'll come back to visit six months to a year later and they literally look 10-15 years younger. It's amazing. Stress will put you in the grave as well.
I often say that to my wife who is working in a large corporation. They are perfectly designed to make people ill. It certainly did it to me. The constant pressure drove all sorts of ailments. Prilosec was the drug of the day to battle reflux.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
I would also throw in there stress level of corporate/working America as well. We have people retire in our department who've put in 30+ years. They'll come back to visit six months to a year later and they literally look 10-15 years younger. It's amazing. Stress will put you in the grave as well.
You had mentioned fasting in an earlier post on this thread. I believe that fasting or fasting mimicking diets (Valter Longo) has very good potential for reversing DNA damage from ageing and lifestyle. I have fasting near the top of my to do list and would appreciate the sources you have taken your fasting methodology from. I would prefer not to spend significant sums in order to eat less unless I was convinced the product would be of significant benefit.

The Valter Longo foundation have some excellent thoughts on a daily longevity diet and exercise https://valterlongo.com/daily-longevity-diet/

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
You had mentioned fasting in an earlier post on this thread. I believe that fasting or fasting mimicking diets (Valter Longo) has very good potential for reversing DNA damage from ageing and lifestyle. I have fasting near the top of my to do list and would appreciate the sources you have taken your fasting methodology from. I would prefer not to spend significant sums in order to eat less unless I was convinced the product would be of significant benefit.

The Valter Longo foundation have some excellent thoughts on a daily longevity diet and exercise https://valterlongo.com/daily-longevity-diet/
Yeah, I've been intermittent fasting and carb cycling for a while. My wife did the below program with a co-worker and I basically hi-jacked the fasting part of it from that. I absolutely love it and it has become my lifestyle. I know there are a lot of programs that say you have to do the fasting with their way of eating. But that's BS. You can fast and get the benefits without having to use someone's specific eating method. Here's what I do though.

Food:
I carb cycle. I have four "regular" or normal carb days and three low carb days. On my "regular" carb days I eat between 2,000-2,500 calories and my low carb days I eat anywhere between 1,600-1,800 calories. I pay more attention to my macros than I do calories. BUT, I don't completely ignore my calories. I have MyFitnessPal app setup to help me track my daily caloric intake and macros. I eat whole to minimally processed foods. I drink a lot of water and unsweetened tea with lemon/lime mixed in. Three to four times a week I drink one glass of 8-9 oz of red wine (Cabernet).

Fasting:
I fast 16 hours everyday. I don't eat past 8 pm and will not eat again until 12 noon the next day. I have an 8 hour "feeding window" to consume all of my calories for the day. So for example, take last night, I didn't get home until 8:30 pm because of my son's baseball game. So, I didn't eat lunch today until 12:30 or after. However, I will consume all of my calories by 8 pm tonight to get back on track with my fasting and eating schedule.

Exercise:
I lift weights and do resistance training 40-45 minutes four to five times a week. Every few weeks I'll get my elliptical machine and do 40 minutes of cardio twice a week.

Results- I feel great. My mind is a lot clearer and a lot sharper. I used to have problems with losing my train of thought, memory seemed to be slipping a bit and I'd go through periods of the day where I just felt like my mind was in a "fog". I also had focus issues. All of that is gone. Of course the weight loss (I've lost over 52 lbs). But really, that becomes secondary when you start to realize how much better you feel and how much sharper your mind is. I will say this though. When carb cycling and combining that with weight training and fasting. You have to be careful not to lose too much weight too fast. Because you won't hit any plateaus. The weight just starts pouring off. I hope this helps.

https://www.fasterwaytofatloss.com/#content

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: Con

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Yeah, I've been intermittent fasting and carb cycling for a while. My wife did the below program with a co-worker and I basically hi-jacked the fasting part of it from that. I absolutely love it and it has become my lifestyle. I know there are a lot of programs that say you have to do the fasting with their way of eating. But that's BS. You can fast and get the benefits without having to use someone's specific eating method. Here's what I do though.

Food:
I carb cycle. I have four "regular" or normal carb days and three low carb days. On my "regular" carb days I eat between 2,000-2,500 calories and my low carb days I eat anywhere between 1,600-1,800 calories. I pay more attention to my macros than I do calories. BUT, I don't completely ignore my calories. I have MyFitnessPal app setup to help me track my daily caloric intake and macros. I eat whole to minimally processed foods. I drink a lot of water and unsweetened tea with lemon/lime mixed in. Three to four times a week I drink one glass of 8-9 oz of red wine (Cabernet).

Fasting:
I fast 16 hours everyday. I don't eat past 8 pm and will not eat again until 12 noon the next day. I have an 8 hour "feeding window" to consume all of my calories for the day. So for example, take last night, I didn't get home until 8:30 pm because of my son's baseball game. So, I didn't eat lunch today until 12:30 or after. However, I will consume all of my calories by 8 pm tonight to get back on track with my fasting and eating schedule.

Exercise:
I lift weights and do resistance training 40-45 minutes four to five times a week. Every few weeks I'll get my elliptical machine and do 40 minutes of cardio twice a week.

Results- I feel great. My mind is a lot clearer and a lot sharper. I used to have problems with losing my train of thought, memory seemed to be slipping a bit and I'd go through periods of the day where I just felt like my mind was in a "fog". I also had focus issues. All of that is gone. Of course the weight loss (I've lost over 52 lbs). But really, that becomes secondary when you start to realize how much better you feel and how much sharper your mind is. I will say this though. When carb cycling and combining that with weight training and fasting. You have to be careful not to lose too much weight too fast. Because you won't hit any plateaus. The weight just starts pouring off. I hope this helps.

Until I got married 23 years ago I never ate before noon or after 8 PM (unless I hadn't had anything all day) because I just was not hungry at those times. I've been brow beaten into eating breakfast more than you can imgine when I'm still never hungry in the morning.

I'm going to try that fasting routine for the month of March and just see what happens. I eat very little that's not good for me but have trouble getting enough exercise due to a foot ailment but it's getting better.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017

Food:

Fasting:

Exercise:

Thanks for that. In the past I had a lot of issues with brain fog on weekends. I believe likely caused from variations in glucose levels. Of course as I age I become more concerned with dementia and attempt to address that with diet and exercise. I have very low body fat now with a BMI around 21 and have to conscious of that in the way I approach fasting and resistant training.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Long distance runners may have shorter lifespans than the general population (according to some studies).
if that's the case, then i'm screwed ;) but the last few years, i am in the boat similar to what 4q basket case mentioned, i am about 8-10lbs over what i would like to be. and i am soft/out of shape.

lucky for me i have a pretty high metabolism and i have never been able to eat large amounts of food at one sitting, so i tend not to overeat too much and i tend not to carry too much weight. over the last several months i have been pretty consistent during the week of having a blender full of smoothie (almond milk, chia seeds, blue berries, bananas, kale) every morning then a salad for lunch. then i just eat whatever in the evening. and i like beer.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Did the 8 PM to noon fast with absolutely no problem. I think I'm going to like this except having to listen to the repeated argument of breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

Thing is, I didn't want any more for lunch than usual.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I’m down 16 since Xmas. Goal is 50. Gym 3x/week. Only carbs from fruit and veggies. Lean meat. Using coconut oil. No grains.

8/month is a solid average.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Thanks for that point of view NT17 and I do agree. Not all cases of obesity have to do with people not eating right or exercising. I know genetics (according to several doctors in my family) can play anywhere between 60%-70% of someone's health. And as you pointed to, there are also medicines in which to treat the problem the side effect is weight gain.

I know for me personally, I'd gotten so busy with other parts of my life that I didn't realize how much I was eating and how little I was moving. I remember when I first started I downloaded the MyFitnessPal app and began tracking what I ate. For the first two weeks all I did was track my food. I ate like I normally did. I was utterly shocked (and embarrassed) at the amount of food I was taking in. But what was even more embarrassing was I began looking back at all times we ate with other people at socials, family gatherings, restaurants etc. Though no one said a word in front of me. There's no doubt how much I was eating was noticed and more than likely talked about at some point on their ride home or not in my presence. Talk about embarrassing.

My friend who I mentioned in the original post is actually a great success story. He was overweight/obese (ballooned to over 350 lbs at his heaviest) for a lot of his teenage years and early adult life. I'm not sure when his road to Damascus moment was, but he completely changed his lifestyle, now runs marathons and is a picture of health. He told me he was shocked he didn't develop diabetes but he did have high blood pressure, cholesterol and other health issues that have now gone away.

Thanks again for the information.
John Bender had an opinion on this:

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
There does seem to be a genetic link. Genes have been discovered to predispose toward obesity and thinness. Certain ethnic groups tend to maintain higher BMI even with similar caloric intake as others. Not to be flippant, but the science doesn't care much what you think.What %? We don't know.

I never said every obese person is on medications that cause them to be obese. That is a gross distortion, but unless you know every medication those people are on you are just assuming. The whole point of me discussing that was to point out how bias (hello!) plays a part in how people are treated - in this case I focused on how they are treated by medical personnel, and it's not good.

Comparing a relatively wealthy population where food is plentiful and readily available to yesteryear is not really a good comparison.
I do agree with your last statement for the most part.
I meant with regard to the overall increase in the rate of obesity we are seeing in the US; I did not state it clearly in my original post. Of course genetics plays a role for individuals.

What are the big changes between now and say 30 to 40 years ago? I can think of food quality, food quantity, levels of activity, and amount of medication. Some can be controlled easier than others.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I meant with regard to the overall increase in the rate of obesity we are seeing in the US; I did not state it clearly in my original post. Of course genetics plays a role for individuals.

What are the big changes between now and say 30 to 40 years ago? I can think of food quality, food quantity, levels of activity, and amount of medication. Some can be controlled easier than others.
Good stuff. Yes, people eat more that is of lesser quality nutritionally and get little activity. Genetics and medication (including antibiotics, apparently) play a role.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Good stuff. Yes, people eat more that is of lesser quality nutritionally and get little activity. Genetics and medication (including antibiotics, apparently) play a role.
Antibiotics! Wow. Seems like doctors prescribe these a lot of times even when they think patients have a viral infection "just in case". Seems like infants and small children are getting antibiotics all the time.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Did the 8 PM to noon fast with absolutely no problem. I think I'm going to like this except having to listen to the repeated argument of breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

Thing is, I didn't want any more for lunch than usual.
Congrats! Way to go! Give it a try for 90 days, mix in some exercise a few times a week and my guess is you'll be very pleased with the results.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Antibiotics! Wow. Seems like doctors prescribe these a lot of times even when they think patients have a viral infection "just in case". Seems like infants and small children are getting antibiotics all the time.
https://gut.bmj.com/content/68/1/62

Antibiotics, acid suppressants and the combination of multiple medications in the first 2 years of life are associated with a diagnosis of childhood obesity. Microbiota-altering medications administered in early childhood may influence weight gain.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Yeah, our pediatricians only gave our babies antibiotics within the first two years if they felt it was absolutely necessary. They point blank told us they did not like giving children antibiotics that early. I can't tell you how many sleepless nights my wife and I have had over the years because our doctors wouldn't give them an antibiotic and allowed their body to fight off the virus. For the long run I'm glad they did that. But for the immediate, two parents who have to get up early and work full time jobs and take care of other kids? Man, it was rough. LOL!

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/he...s-how-he-says-its-changed-his-life/ar-BBUmztU

I too tried this 8PM to Noon the next day. No problem and I did not overeat for lunch. Going to see how far I can go, thanks Buzz. I little extra reading on the subject.
From the article and my comments below the quote:

A few months after Brown started intermittent fasting, he had a routine visit with his doctor. Without seemingly dieting, Brown had dropped 10 pounds, and along the way, his lipid and insulin levels also had dramatically improved.
This is a very, very common thing you hear from people who have had issues with insulin levels. They dramatically improve without having to go on a special diet.

Although the data looks promising for shedding pounds and improving metabolic health, intermittent fasting doesn’t perform any better than other dietary restriction plans that result in weight loss, such as balanced diets or the ketogenic diet, she said.
I can't disagree with someone who is an expert in the field and I'm nowhere close to being one. But I will say this, it's been the easiest and most natural transition to losing weight and actually WANTING to keep doing it than anything I've done before. However, like I said earlier in the thread, if it works keep doing it. If not, find something else that does.

“Intermittent fasting is not a diet. … It really is a lifestyle intervention,” he said. “It’s a lot easier to tell people just put down your fork for a few hours and then have your biscuits and gravy, rather than tell them, I want you to start eating only broccoli.”
This is very true for me. I just don't feel like I'm on a diet and maybe that's half the battle.

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.