What % do you think obesity contributes to the health problems in our country? (ETA - and why is rucking the best answer? :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
I am down 16 pounds in a little over a month. I am about halfway to my goal. I watch what I eat and go to the gym about 4-5 times a week. I love going to the gym, not just for weight loss..but it is a great stress relief. I just turned 35 and I haven't felt this good in a while.

Good luck to everyone that is starting a healthy lifestyle. :)

Reactions: Con

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I am down 16 pounds in a little over a month. I am about halfway to my goal. I watch what I eat and go to the gym about 4-5 times a week. I love going to the gym, not just for weight loss..but it is a great stress relief. I just turned 35 and I haven't felt this good in a while.

Good luck to everyone that is starting a healthy lifestyle. :)
I now it is tough when you have young children, all of their activities, and you work full time. It takes a hell of a lot of self discipline. Way to go, Mom.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Good morning guys and gals, just giving an update on the weight loss. I'm still down roughly about 68 lbs. I am still incorporating the 16 fast everyday. Been doing it since New Year's Eve 2018. It's become apart of my everyday routine and "how I eat". I've got about 15-20 lbs to lose then I will begin "maintenance" phase and stop trying to lose weight. I plateaued a bit this summer due to kids being out of school and going and doing things they like to do during the summer. So I backed off on the exercise a bit and enjoyed a few chocolate dipped ice cream cones from Dairy Queen every once in a while. Good thing is, I haven't gained one pound back that I lost. But now that summer is coming to a close, I've gotten back into my regular workout routine and brought the ice cream DQ trips with the kids to an end. I've been back on my weights and workout routine for two weeks now and sure did miss it. Man it makes me feel so much better.

I hope everyone is still continuing down their road to a healthier lifestyle. Don't quit, keep plugging and let us know how and what you're doing. Good luck to all!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Good morning guys and gals, just giving an update on the weight loss. I'm still down roughly about 68 lbs. I am still incorporating the 16 fast everyday. Been doing it since New Year's Eve 2018. It's become apart of my everyday routine and "how I eat". I've got about 15-20 lbs to lose then I will begin "maintenance" phase and stop trying to lose weight. I plateaued a bit this summer due to kids being out of school and going and doing things they like to do during the summer. So I backed off on the exercise a bit and enjoyed a few chocolate dipped ice cream cones from Dairy Queen every once in a while. Good thing is, I haven't gained one pound back that I lost. But now that summer is coming to a close, I've gotten back into my regular workout routine and brought the ice cream DQ trips with the kids to an end. I've been back on my weights and workout routine for two weeks now and sure did miss it. Man it makes me feel so much better.

I hope everyone is still continuing down their road to a healthier lifestyle. Don't quit, keep plugging and let us know how and what you're doing. Good luck to all!
I've been trying a different route. Five days out of seven, I have a salad for lunch. It's mostly just trying to balance my diet of meat, bread and cheese somewhat. However, it has subtracted around ten pounds. I've always read that the slower you take weight off, the longer it stays off. This is a permanent diet change, not a short-term diet...

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I've been trying a different route. Five days out of seven, I have a salad for lunch. It's mostly just trying to balance my diet of meat, bread and cheese somewhat. However, it has subtracted around ten pounds. I've always read that the slower you take weight off, the longer it stays off. This is a permanent diet change, not a short-term diet...
Nice progress with a relatively minor change!

Just curious.... how long have you been doing it?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
How I'm currently eating is definitely a permanent change and one that I can easily sustain. Good luck!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Nice progress with a relatively minor change!

Just curious.... how long have you been doing it?
I'd say a couple of months. As I said the weight loss is just a byproduct. My diet needed modifying. Morning is coffee and usually a slice of my homemade bread, with butter and jelly or honey. Lunch is salad and dinner is normal, though I doubt we eat as much as some people then. An example below is what happens why I doze off while my loaf is rising... :D

20190721_081908[1].jpg

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Right now, I've had my #1 tooth go sensitive and I have a morning appt with the dentist. :(
I suspect it needs a root canal, so I'll have to tell my dentist I don't trust her to do it and will go back to my endodontist...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Same here with either #11 or 12 (can't quite tell). They called today with the opening.
I got put off from 10:00 and 11:00, because our dentist is recovering from breast cancer and had to see her own reconstruction surgeon. It'll probably be a root canal and I'm going to insist on going to my endodontist, which she's not going to like. I want someone who does that only all day long...

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I got put off from 10:00 and 11:00, because our dentist is recovering from breast cancer and had to see her own reconstruction surgeon. It'll probably be a root canal and I'm going to insist on going to my endodontist, which she's not going to like. I want someone who does that only all day long...
No general dentist wants to try to instrument tooth #1. It’s too hard to get the files, irrigants, etc in and out of the tooth. She’ll be relieved you want to go elsewhere or she’ll recommend extraction.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Not about teeth, but back to the diet discussion. I am still doing the 16 off and 8 on eating and have lost 10 pounds. I am still walking 5 days a week, but am having lower back problems when I walk outside. No pain when I walk on the treadmill. Any thoughts why one hurts my back and the other doesn't ?

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Not about teeth, but back to the diet discussion. I am still doing the 16 off and 8 on eating and have lost 10 pounds. I am still walking 5 days a week, but am having lower back problems when I walk outside. No pain when I walk on the treadmill. Any thoughts why one hurts my back and the other doesn't ?
https://northamericanspine.com/blog/back-pain-treadmill-exercise/

Study: Treadmill-Walking vs. Upon-Ground WalkingPublished this year in the journal Gait and Posture one recent study provides evidence that walking on treadmills is not equivalent to overground walking, which may affect your spine. The conclusions were for a variety of reasons, but mainly the difference was in smoothness and rhythmicity.We all walk with a certain “tread.” Sometimes it’s good to adjust tread for cardiovascular or alignment reasons. Treadmills do seem like an appealing way to do this, and to exercise safely since such movements as shifting to turn corners can make some walkers unstable, off-balance, and increase the risk of falling. Walking on a treadmill changes the way we walk. But is it for the better?According to the study, walking on a treadmill causes an increased stride, which affects both stance stability and increases the expense of energy used. The increased energy makes the walker prone to use the handrails – installed on treadmills to help protect the walker – more common, which decreases the cardiovascular benefits of walking.Further, since a treadmill isn’t self-generated but dictated by the speed of the moving tread, there’s a sense of “keeping up” with the treadmill itself. This is one possible reason why our steps tend to be longer on them than when we normally walk. The researchers called this a disruption of “gait smoothness,” which can affect the way your back moves with your gait. Additionally, since your body is working against a moving tread, it utilizes different sets of muscles than normal walking. It’s important, then, to be aware if this change is helpful or harmful to your back.In a sense, you ARE out of control on a treadmill. Treadmills are equipped with many safety measures, such as the sudden “stop” button, but if you’re already feeling pain, are unstable, or panicked about not being able to keep up with the speed of the tread, it may be difficult to use those safety measures.ConclusionWhat, then, is the conclusion? In short, for those walkers who are already at risk of instability, the danger of falling may be greater on a treadmill than taking a walk around the block.We all know the challenges to exercise when, say, it’s winter. Indoor exercising is appealing for this kind of reason. However, know which machines are safe for your particular body and condition, and which you feel comfortable with.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I'll just say this - treadmills are bad. They don't mimic real world and cause you to stress yourself.

Go to a really good shoe store and make sure you have good shoes - mine typically cost around $130/pair and last 2-3 months (350-500 miles) - it is what it is, but if you get good shoes/socks it makes all the difference in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.