this should be fun - umc votes to expel lgbt pastors and pro-lgbt churches

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
United Methodist Denomination Votes to Expel LGBT Pastors and Pro-LGBT Churches

America’s second-largest Protestant denomination, the United Methodist Church, is set to split, as the church’s top policy-making body set a final vote Tuesday to maintain prohibitions on homosexuality and to expel gay pastors...

Only the anti-LGBTQ “Traditional Plan” won a majority of delegates, prevailing by a vote of 56% to 44%.

That plan maintains the Book of Discipline’s statement that “the practice of homosexuality is incompatible with Christian teaching” and that “self-avowed practicing homosexuals” cannot be ordained as ministers or be married in the church.

Moreover, the plan actually increases the enforcement of this provision. At present, there are numerous LGBTQ Methodist pastors – one, Briand Adkins, spoke at the Conference and stated plainly “I am a gay pastor” – and the denomination has not taken affirmative action to dismiss them.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Approximately 2/3 of the American delegates voted against it. The Africans and most of the Europeans voted for it. Time for a division along continental lines...
i hope they tell those folks to jump in a lake.

i thought this part from the article was interesting.

But African pastors’ conservatism is also partly the result of their ‘competition’ with conservative Islam for followers. Some imams touts Islam as more pious than Christianity in part because of its hard line on homosexuality.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I am Methodist, but we haven’t been active members for a while. We live in a town with just one UMC, but don’t really like it.

So the vote just retains the status quo in relation to gay pastors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I am Methodist, but we haven’t been active members for a while. We live in a town with just one UMC, but don’t really like it.

mostly. according to the article, it increases enforcement.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Yes, and the sinfulness of homosexuality. As the father of a gay daughter in a same-sex marriage, you can imagine how I feel about it...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.