News Article: Rush Propst Suspended

Tide Rev

All-American
Mar 22, 2000
Ocean Springs, MS
I only hope that this coach will seek help and forgiveness for what he has done. He should not be allowed to coach or be around athletes again after his record of wrongdoing at Hoover and Colquitt County. It is a sad situation only the Lord can solve.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I only hope that this coach will seek help and forgiveness for what he has done. He should not be allowed to coach or be around athletes again after his record of wrongdoing at Hoover and Colquitt County. It is a sad situation only the Lord can solve.
Having been around the guy a significant amount, one can always hope but I think it is unlikely at this point. His behavior has been narcissistic for years but now it is pushing sociopathic if he isn’t already there.

Look at this report- every teacher knows you can’t give a student any medication (unless under the guidance of a care plan established by physician/healthcare provider) even OTC meds. Back taxes, insubordination..it goes on and on. All have an underlying theme-“the rules don’t apply to me. They are there for others.”

Really good football coach. Really terrible human being.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

Highly interesting article. A couple of observations:

Doesn't seem that he provided PEDs, at least not PEDs in the traditional sense. Based on the descriptions -- injured players taking a pill at halftime, and looking "dazed and lethargic" afterward, or injured players getting pills during the week -- it sounds more like painkillers. Which, depending on the nature of the painkiller, could be as bad as, or worse than, steroids and the like. Also could have caused the player to exacerbate an injury by playing when he shouldn't have.

I don't know what Propst gave them. I do know that Aleve doesn't make you dazed and lethargic, but opioids do.

Most of the rest of the stuff seemed classic narcissism and the feeling that other posters have noted about the rules being for the little people -- inserting himself into the process of hiring his boss, stiffing local businesses on bills, blaming others for losses, insisting on taking the team to a local motel on the night before a game (wth? in high school?), etc., etc. Then the threatening behavior when any of that is being taken away.

I was most surprised, however, at the amount of the unpaid taxes -- a total of almost $450K. Depending, depending, depending, it would take between $1.0 and $1.5 million in taxable income to gin a bill that high. My real question here is how many years does that represent?

The article says the issues go back to 2010, which not counting 2018 taxes that technically aren't due yet, would be 8 years. So I'm wondering if he never paid a dime in taxes? Don't see how that could happen, as he would have had taxes withheld by the Colquitt County School System. So did he file returns with fabricated deductions in order to get a full refund of everything he paid? If so, he has a dual problem -- filed false returns, and owes back taxes.

Did he have outside income that he never reported? Possible, with coaching clinics, consulting and such. But $1.0 - $1.5 million worth -- $125K to $175K a year for 8 straight years? Seems like a lot at the high school level, even the elite high school level.

And anyway, the IRS doesn't normally sit on their hands for a bill that size. How have they not taken truly draconian measures, what with both of Propst's middle fingers waving in their faces?

I can't make sense of any of it. I have a feeling there will be a most interesting ending here.

Last edited:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Is Propst the real-life Bud Kilmer?
Had to look up the reference. Turns out, I've never seen Varsity Blues. But Google had some direct links to Bud Kilmer quotes, and somebody in Georgia made the same connection.

If the movie had been made at the right time (it wasn't -- too early), yes, Bud Kilmer could have been based on Rush Propst.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

Doesn't seem that he provided PEDs, at least not PEDs in the traditional sense. Based on the descriptions -- injured players taking a pill at halftime, and looking "dazed and lethargic" afterward, or injured players getting pills during the week -- it sounds more like painkillers. Which, depending on the nature of the painkiller, could be as bad as, or worse than, steroids and the like. Also could have caused the player to exacerbate an injury by playing when he shouldn't have.

I don't know what Propst gave them. I do know that Aleve doesn't make you dazed and lethargic, but opioids do.

Most of the rest of the stuff seemed classic narcissism and the feeling that other posters have noted about the rules being for the little people -- inserting himself into the process of hiring his boss, stiffing local businesses on bills, blaming others for losses, insisting on taking the team to a local motel on the night before a game (wth? in high school?), etc., etc. Then the threatening behavior when any of that is being taken away.

I was most surprised, however, at the amount of the unpaid taxes -- a total of almost $450K. Depending, depending, depending, it would take between $1.0 and $1.5 million in taxable income to gin a bill that high. My real question here is how many years does that represent?

The article says the issues go back to 2010, which not counting 2018 taxes that technically aren't due yet, would be 8 years. So I'm wondering if he never paid a dime in taxes? Don't see how that could happen, as he would have had taxes withheld by the Colquitt County School System. So did he file returns with fabricated deductions in order to get a full refund of everything he paid? If so, he has a dual problem -- filed false returns, and owes back taxes.

Did he have outside income that he never reported? Possible, with coaching clinics, consulting and such. But $1.0 - $1.5 million worth -- $125K to $175K a year for 8 straight years? Seems like a lot at the high school level, even the elite high school level.

And anyway, the IRS doesn't normally sit on their hands for a bill that size. How have they not taken truly draconian measures, what with both of Propst's middle fingers waving in their faces?

I can't make sense of any of it. I have a feeling there will be a most interesting ending here.
Interesting you bring up the money. There were always questions about how the funds around the Hoover football program were handled on the accounting side of it. I believe the investigation into the program brought up the issue of “co-mingling” of funds and little or no accounting procedures. I know of some stories I was told by members of the booster club that made me say “You’re kidding...he did WHAT?”
Those around the Colquitt program turned a blind eye to it much like as those at Hoover. And they got their championships. But at what cost?

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I don’t get the hotel thing. It said they got them rooms the night before home games. I looked up their schedule and their games were all on Fridays. What is the point of going to a hotel on Thursday night if they are just getting to go to school the next morning?

And the hotel stopped it because of problems the players caused. It must have been bad for a hotel to end a steady flow of cash from all those blocks of rooms every week.

I also don’t get the booster club being OK with this. Unless this is the Mountain Brook of Georgia, I don’t see how they afforded it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

I think Hoover still stays at a hotel before games too. They did it under Rush as well.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I think Hoover still stays at a hotel before games too. They did it under Rush as well.
Just curious....who pays for that?

Also, what's the ostensible purpose? I mean, they stay in a hotel on Thursday night, go to school Friday, then play he game Friday evening. So what's the advantage of the hotel the night before?

I get that the real reason is to act like you're the biggest baddest HS team going, with resources that rival a college team. But you can't say that publicly, so what's the spin they put on it? Or do they even try to spin it?

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Also, what's the ostensible purpose? I mean, they stay in a hotel on Thursday night, go to school Friday, then play he game Friday evening. So what's the advantage of the hotel the night before?

I get that the real reason is to act like you're the biggest baddest HS team going, with resources that rival a college team. But you can't say that publicly, so what's the spin they put on it? Or do they even try to spin it?
Boosters?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

I'd imagine the booster club (whatever it's called) pays for it, because I'd imagine there would be all kinds of Title IX issues if the school paid for it.

They also claim it helps them get ready for college:p_eyes:

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Colquitt County made a deal with the devil to get 2 championships. I'd rather lose than win with a Rush-Propst type of coach.
I feel the same way, but many only care about the winning. Win at all costs. If you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'. Well, Propst is just another poster child for that type of thinking.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
What exactly does one do with a "loose" one turn?
That’s where you put on a little Luther, chill a little Cristal and get loose for one turn! Maybe that’s How Rush got into trouble . It is the middle of the board!

Last edited:

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I'd imagine the booster club (whatever it's called) pays for it, because I'd imagine there would be all kinds of Title IX issues if the school paid for it.

They also claim it helps them get ready for college:p_eyes:
I seem to recall Hoover traveling to Tulsa Oklahoma roughly 10-12 years ago and playing Tulsa Union High School—I certainly could understand a hotel stay for a game like that. Outside of that type of game though I just don’t see the need.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL

In Alabama, it is my understanding that a booster club can be used to supplement an extracurricular program's ability to pay for uniforms, supplies, trips, etc., and it is technically not considered to be money that belongs to the school or school system. I think for tax purposes, it is an entity outside of the school system, and thus, wouldn't be subject to Title IX rules. I could be totally wrong, but that's my understanding. I'd imagine Hoover High School football, or Colquitt County HS football, would have an impressive funding ability on the booster side of things.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I seem to recall Hoover traveling to Tulsa Oklahoma roughly 10-12 years ago and playing Tulsa Union High School—I certainly could understand a hotel stay for a game like that. Outside of that type of game though I just don’t see the need.
If they were playing a home game on Saturday morning on ESPN I could see them getting a hotel the night before just so the coach could keep an eye on them and have it be part of the experience.

But on a Thursday just doesn’t make sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.