Where Things Stand in the SEC
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Where Things Stand in the SEC

With three games remaining, time to start looking at the SEC standings better to get an idea of seeding.

After the win last night, Alabama sits at 8-7 in conference play. Alabama is - at worse - a 9 seed as long as it doesn't go 0-3 to end the season.

The top three seed are all but locked in with UT, UK, and LSU. Then, things get interesting.

Ole Miss: 9-5
    Mississippi State: 9-6
    South Carolina: 9-6
    Florida: 8-6
    Alabama: 8-7
    Auburn: 7-7

Alabama holds the tiebreaker over two of those teams, split with one, lost to one, and has a second game against the fifth one.

The remaining schedule is key.

Tonight:

UT @ Ole Miss
    Florida @ Vandy
    Auburn @ UGA

Saturday:

LSU @ Alabama
    Ole Miss @ Arkansas
    UK @ UT
    South Carolina @ Missouri
    Mississippi State @ Auburn
    Vandy @ TAMU
    UGA @ Florida

3/5:

South Carolina @ TAMU
    Auburn @ Alabama
    Mississippi State @ UT
    UK @ Ole Miss

3/6:

Missouri @ UGA
    LSU @ Florida
    Arkansas @ Vandy

3/9:

UT @ Auburn
    UGA @ South Carolina
    TAMU @ Mississippi State
    Florida @ UK
    Ole Miss @ Missouri
    Alabama @ Arkansas
    Vandy @ LSU

The best thing for Alabama is to go 3-0 and let the chips fall. Other than that obvious answer, how do you see it playing out?
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States

Re: Where Things Stand in the SEC

A big win against LSU would go a long way. Bama always plays ranked teams tough plus we have them at home, including Auburn.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

I don't really want to know the tiebreaker formulas right now; only when it becomes a factor. So many things have to right for Bama to get to number 4 spot. The game against Auburn is the only game in the next three in which Bama can directly impact the standings of the teams in the pack.

Unless I'm missing something there is no interaction remaining for any of the teams in the pack except AU plays Bama and MSU.

BamaNation All-American

Out of those teams USC has the easiest schedule, Mizzou, UGA, and aTm although 2 of those games are on the road but they *should* be the favorite in all of those games. LSU, AU, and Arky are all games that we will need to be playing our best to win but they are all games that we can win if we play up to our ability.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar

I think the hardest of the three is that Hell-Hole in Arkansas.

I think we push LSU to the wire and get revenge against Auburn. That game was pure adrenaline and got away from us fast. I think in T-Town it's a different situation.

I think we go 2-1 -- losing to Arkansas

We may need the extra game.....by not being a top 4 seed
    Doc Holliday: [to Johnny Ringo, after shooting him in a duel] You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung

BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonForce's Avatar

The only scenario that would surprise me is if we go 3-0 to close out the season. I think 1-2 is most likely with the next likeliest being 0-3. We will be an underdog in every game..

So who should we be pulling for tonight? I'm assuming Tennessee to beat Ole Miss, Georgia to beat Auburn and Vanderbilt to beat Florida? Seems like that would push us up equal to or over Auburn and Vanderbilt and one game close to Ole Miss..

BamaNation All-American Bama-94-00's Avatar

Bama needs to get 2 of these last 3 games, in my opinion. That'll probably take wins over AU and Ark.
    RTR!

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonForce View Post
    So who should we be pulling for tonight? I'm assuming Tennessee to beat Ole Miss, Georgia to beat Auburn and Vanderbilt to beat Florida? Seems like that would push us up equal to or over Auburn and Vanderbilt and one game close to Ole Miss..
    Yep.

Alabama's needs at the moment (working with best case scenario of Alabama finishing 2-1 or 3-0):

• Ole Miss to lose two or three of its last four
    • State to lose two or all of its final three
    • South Carolina to lose at least one of its final three
    • Florida to lose at least two (preferably three because it would help Alabama's NCAA chances)
    • Auburn to go 0-4 just because we don't want Auburn to win ever (really need them 2-2)
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."

BamaNation Hall of Fame TiderJack's Avatar

The only scenario that would surprise me is if we go 3-0 to close out the season. I think 1-2 is most likely with the next likeliest being 0-3. We will be an underdog in every game..
    I will be surprised if we are an underdog to the Barn. LSU may be favored but it won't be a large line. However, I am leaning toward 1-2 also but 2-1 or 3-0 would not shock me. 0-3 would be the only record that would shock me.

Quote Originally Posted by TiderJack View Post
    I will be surprised if we are an underdog to the Barn. LSU may be favored but it won't be a large line. However, I am leaning toward 1-2 also but 2-1 or 3-0 would not shock me. 0-3 would be the only record that would shock me.
    How would 0-3 be surprising when we fall apart in February every year? We're playing 1 really good team and 2 other quality teams. We will have to bring our A performance in every game or we will lose. How many times under CAJ have we played an A game 3 times in a row? I hope we win all 3 but realistically we're more likely to lose all 3 then win all 3. My prediction is 1-2 or 0-3. Guess we just disagree because the biggest shock to me would be going 3-0..

How would 0-3 be surprising when we fall apart in February every year? We're playing 1 really good team and 2 other quality teams. We will have to bring our A performance in every game or we will lose. How many times under CAJ have we played an A game 3 times in a row? I hope we win all 3 but realistically we're more likely to lose all 3 then win all 3. My prediction is 1-2 or 0-3. Guess we just disagree because the biggest shock to me would be going 3-0..
    Arkansas being on the road makes it more questionable than it should be. They are the opposite of South Carolina - strong early start and be crap in conference play.

As far as falling apart in February, here's the breakdown for those not familiar:

2016: 6-2 (0-2 in March)
    2017: 3-5 (1-1 in March)
    2018: 3-4 (0-1 in March and ended on a 5 game losing streak)
    2019: 4-4
    -- Coach Bryant

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Yep.

Alabama's needs at the moment (working with best case scenario of Alabama finishing 2-1 or 3-0):

• Ole Miss to lose two or three of its last four
    • State to lose two or all of its final three
    • South Carolina to lose at least one of its final three
    • Florida to lose at least two (preferably three because it would help Alabama's NCAA chances)
    • Auburn to go 0-4 just because we don't want Auburn to win ever (really need them 2-2)
    I agree with this one ... I hate we didn't take advantage of getting the wins we needed against TAMU, LSU and MSU. They would have gave us more cushion but hindsight is 20/20 at times. I think if we go 2-1 we're in. I would rather just go in and win all three to be honest.