How is a game at Williams Brice Stadium (South Carolina) - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BamaNation First Team

Re: How is a game at Williams Brice Stadium (South Carolina)

Was there in 2010. The crowd was electric and the fans were as awful as described earlier. Worst I've seen on the road. That said, I do like Columbia in general.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Bodhisattva's Avatar

I took my wife (then girlfriend) there for her first Bama road trip. 2005? We had a good time. Don't recall any issues with the locals. Looking into going this Fall.
    Bodhi

Lily (age 6): Daddy, I know what I want to be when I grow up: an artist.
    Bodhi (internally groaning): Yeah? What kind of artist?
    Lily: A balloon animal artist!
    Bodhi (face palm)

Go ahead and go. I like Columbia, and you might have a great time. No, itís not big city, but give it a try. Definitely friendlier than a lot of SEC venues Iíve visited.

Southern Adirondack mountains of upstate NY

watch live PD...........have fun..................(i am just kidding)..................roll tide

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    Im thinking about going to the South Carolina game this year. I was wondering if it is worth going to, or if its one of those that you should probably avoid stadiums. I usually plan a road game in the SEC every year, and my time to put in for vacation is coming up. The USCE game is the only stadium I haven't been to on our 2019 schedule.

But Ive heard bad things about going to a South Carolina game from folks that went to the 2010 game. They complained about things such as the stadium being on a fairgrounds, the fans were bad that day, and youll pay an arm and a leg to park and eat there. I was wondering if this is normal for USCE games or if those were just bad experiences from a bad game.
    Awesome stadium - not a bad seat in the house. And the town is cool too. I really recommend the trip.
    JUST WIN
    ------------------------------------------------------
    ďItís not the will to win that matters Ė everyone has that. Itís the will to prepare to win that matters.Ē - Paul W "Bear" Bryant
    "Aight" - Nick Saban

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    I took my wife (then girlfriend) there for her first Bama road trip. 2005? We had a good time. Don't recall any issues with the locals. Looking into going this Fall.
    Prothro had a great game that day. We got revenge for the debacle the prior year at Bryant-Denny.

BamaNation Scout Team

I haven't been to a game there in a while, but I went to grad school there, so I can provide feedback. First, I can definitely tell you that Columbia to Sylacauga is 5.5 hours, so it's not a bad drive (up 21 to Oxford and then I-20 all the way).

As several have pointed out, climate-wise Columbia feels like a depression in the middle of the state where the heat and humidity sort of gather and just hang. It is truly oppressive, so if the game is in September (I haven't checked), it will be uncomfortable most likely.

The Vista area is very nice, and I can imagine most people would enjoy it. Five Points was full of all different ages when I lived there in the late 80s-early 90s; however, I think the older crowd is likely to prefer the Vista area now. Five Points is fun, though. Hootie and Blowfish wasn't famous when I lived there, so I couldn't even count the times I saw them free down there. Most of the restaurants will be full of all ages, including families (Yesterday's is kind of a landmark in 5 Points).

USC's campus is much different from Bama's--think more urban--however, if you get the chance to go to the University (the stadium is well a ways away), I would do it just to stroll around the Horseshoe, which is the oldest part of the school and quite pretty.

My sisters came up to see a game in the early 2000s, and they thought the fans were rude, but really they were just typical fans. I will always remember the first weekend I was a student there. I was jogging through campus with a Bama shirt on, and traffic was lined up headed toward the stadium for their game that day. When I got to the road where the traffic was, a lot of people in cars started yelling anti-Bama stuff at me and flipping me off. I thought it was kind of funny because I really knew very little about their program, but they acted like their coach, Joe Morrison, was on the level of Bear Bryant. I think that they had won ten games or something in 1984, and it had gone to their heads.

Have fun at the game and afterward...

BamaNation All-SEC BamaBoySince89's Avatar

I got free tickets to the USCe/TAAM game in 2016, it was hot as East Hell for it to be October. I would seriously consider getting your tickets on the home side of the stadium, especially if you're in the upper deck, the shade mysteriously covers that side

On the other hand, Columbia is nice. Just unbearably hot for that time of year
    Last edited by BamaBoySince89; March 10th, 2019 at 12:27 PM.