How is a game at Williams Brice Stadium (South Carolina)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

How is a game at Williams Brice Stadium (South Carolina)

Im thinking about going to the South Carolina game this year. I was wondering if it is worth going to, or if its one of those that you should probably avoid stadiums. I usually plan a road game in the SEC every year, and my time to put in for vacation is coming up. The USCE game is the only stadium I haven't been to on our 2019 schedule.

But Ive heard bad things about going to a South Carolina game from folks that went to the 2010 game. They complained about things such as the stadium being on a fairgrounds, the fans were bad that day, and youll pay an arm and a leg to park and eat there. I was wondering if this is normal for USCE games or if those were just bad experiences from a bad game.
    Last edited by 81usaf92; February 28th, 2019 at 03:46 PM.
    "Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

Hannibal

BamaNation All-American ALA2262's Avatar

Re: How is a game at Williams Brice Stadium (South Carolina)

Probably a good place to apply the old adage, "If you can't say something good, then don't say anything at all".

Hootie and the Blowfish play there that weekend as well (I think Friday night); so they will be fired up.
    RTR

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALA2262 View Post
    Probably a good place to apply the old adage, "If you can't say something good, then don't say anything at all".
    "Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

Hannibal

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Hot and humid, otherwise a good venue.

ETA: Columbia is a super college town, bigger than T-Town but still a lot of small town influence. The 5 Points area near the campus was a fun place, but now this was back in the 1980's so things could have changed.
    Last edited by GrayTide; February 28th, 2019 at 06:34 PM.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation Second Team

I was there for the 2010 game... I was a freshman and it was my first road Bama game. It was obviously a tough loss, but the atmosphere in the stadium was pretty electric. Not sure how it is now that the team isn't as successful.

The fans that day weren't shy about being confident (which was a lot funnier before the game...) but overall I didn't think they were that bad. I've enjoyed games at Oxford, Baton Rouge, and Auburn more, but its worth a trip to get a different SEC experience. As with most gamedays, the quality of your experience is usually going to be tied to the people your with more than the opposing fanbase as a whole.

BamaNation All-American

I went in 2005 I believe. Shula was coach is all I remember. Absolutely the hottest place I have ever been. I won’t ever go back. A lot further drive than you think from Ttown.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BamaNation All-American Padreruf's Avatar

I've been a couple of times and enjoyed it thoroughly -- except for losing both times. The USC fans are typical fans...but most were courteous and inviting -- even asking us to share their food. They have been loyal through the worst years a school can have...hard to knock them after seeing their faithfulness for 20 years.
    "The greatest evil in the world is not 'not knowing;' it is not knowing that you do not know." Alfred North Whitehead

BamaNation All-American

I live an hour north of Cola. The stadium, indeed, is on a fairground. They've made access a little better through the years, but you still need to get the racket back early and leave yourself plenty of time to arrive and park.

The tailgating is fine, people are mostly nice and welcoming, and the renovated train cars doubling as game-day condos are very cool.

Inside the stadium, the Carolina folks can make some noise. They can also leave at half-time, and in 2005 most of them did not come back -- illustrating the manic-depressiveness that Gamecock fans are famous for.

Downtown Columbia is a very underrated place. Given the post-game traffic, getting there is no easy chore.

A game in Columbia is worth a visit. But it's Montgomery-level, coastal plain heat and humidity. Night game is much more enjoyable.
    Last edited by CrimsonEyeshade; March 1st, 2019 at 10:11 AM.

The only time I have been there, it reminded me a little of watching a game at Legion Field.
    Last edited by bamaga; March 1st, 2019 at 01:13 PM.
    to 16 and beyond........

BamaNation All-American

I went to law school there. It will be unbelievably hot I promise that. There's not a whole lot around the stadium which is my main complaint. I prefer the vista over five points. Five points is where the college kids go and you have a good chance of being shot. The vista is where the older crowd goes, a good bit safer and classier.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

I would say if you had the chance to go, go. I'd like to visit all the SEC stadiums someday myself. I've only been to ours and Starkvegas.

From what I see on TV though, you need to be prepared to listen to a rooster crowing every 30 seconds. I'm sure they'll be fired up for us.

BamaNation First Team BayouBama75's Avatar

I have been there twice with my son, the last one being in 2010. I thought is was a good venue and the fans were definitely ready in 2010 but I didn't have any issues with them even with all my Bama gear. I think Gameday was there in 2010 and it was on campus so we took a bus over to watch that. Definitely a disappointing game but I was glad we went. I lived in Atlanta so it was a day trip for me.