How & when did you become a college football fan? Who introduced you to cfb? - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BamaNation All-SEC

Re: How & when did you become a college football fan? Who introduced you to cfb?

I was a college football fan before I was an Alabama fan. (I didn't grow up in Alabama.) As a kid in Florida, I went to a couple of games in Miami involving my parents' alma maters, AU and Georgia Tech. Went to a couple of games in the Astrodome when we lived in Houston and in HS went to East Lansing from Illinois to watch GT play MSU. Watched some of the limited number of TV games back then, and remember some bowl games. I didn't really become an Alabama fan until I arrived as a freshman in August 1973. Listened to the first game on the radio (UA 66, Cal 0 in Birmingham) and I was hooked for life. Even met my wife in Legion Field in 1978.

Big-12 All American owenfieldreams's Avatar

Re: How & when did you become a college football fan? Who introduced you to cfb?

My first experience with college football was as a 3rd grade in Dallas. My step-father took me to a night game at the Cotton Bowl between SMU & Mizzou. My hero was Doak Walker but those SMU squads under Matty Bell were loaded with talent including Walker, Kyle Rote, Johnny Champion, and Herschall Forrester. We moved back to Tulsa as I entered the 4th grade, just as the OU 47 game winning streak commenced. My godfather was OU's first consensus A.A., Roland "Waddy" Young but I did not connect with the Sooners until I became immersed in that incredible undefeated streak.

BamaNation All-SEC

Probably the Sugar Bowl against Penn State and the Goal Line Stand......... my father and I watched that game along with some relatives

BamaNation Scout Team

My dad took me to Legion field to watch the football game and met Paul "Bear" Bryant when I was 3 years old in 1979. That was the time I became a true Bama fan.

I was a college football fan before I was an Alabama fan. (I didn't grow up in Alabama.)I stole your intro PaulD! Being from Chicago you were most likely a Notre Dame or Big 10 fan, I just liked football. Then I met a girl from Dothan on the beach in Naples in '83, my junior year of HS and my life was forever changed! That accent, those cutoffs... Worked it out with my baseball coach, went for a visit and knew then and there that I was going to The University of Alabama, baseball or not...
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
    I was a college football fan before I was an Alabama fan. (I didn't grow up in Alabama.) As a kid in Florida, I went to a couple of games in Miami involving my parents' alma maters, AU and Georgia Tech. Went to a couple of games in the Astrodome when we lived in Houston and in HS went to East Lansing from Illinois to watch GT play MSU. Watched some of the limited number of TV games back then, and remember some bowl games. I didn't really become an Alabama fan until I arrived as a freshman in August 1973. Listened to the first game on the radio (UA 66, Cal 0 in Birmingham) and I was hooked for life. Even met my wife in Legion Field in 1978.

My family and I went to Tuscaloosa to watch Alabama play Vandy in 1978. We sat there watching the managers with all of the tear away jerseys and I was hooked. I was very young then, but I still remember what I think were some plays from that game. Those guys were larger than life for me.

i was born into it

my granddad worked on/around campus all of his life and my parents both went to bama. i broke my collarbone running laps around the living room and jumping over my dad while he was laying on the floor watching the orange bowl v. nebraska (71/72). he took me to my first game vs virginia tech, homecoming 1978. i would usher games at bryant-denny as a boy scout and my grandparents used to take me to legion field games in the early-mid 80s. the nd "sack" game was the most memorable with them. they were old as dirt at the time but were filled with glee getting to watch us beat notre damn. we would also listen to the games on a transistor radio while dove hunting or chopping firewood during the fall.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation All-American

I got into college football really late. Grew up a big NFL fan. Went to small elementary/middle/high school (without a football team) and decided I wanted to go to a big southern school that had football.

Problem was that I didn't know anything about college football. The first college football game I remember watching was the National Championship Game when Florida and Tim Tebow beat Oklahoma. Main reason I watched it was because my then girlfriend and now wife was a born and raised Sooner.

I did very little research on who had a good program I just wanted football. Long story short I loved my visit to Alabama (after kinda hating many of the schools i visited) and didn't realize who Nick Saban was or what was about to happen. Freshman year was 2009 and obviously after that anyone would be hooked.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

My dad. The first memory I have was watching the 1990 Iron Bowl, that we won, 16-7. I had no memory of knowing at the time that Alabama had lost the prior 4 to Auburn. In fact I remember talking trash to my Auburn aunt that Christmas and she let me know then to hold my horses because Auburn had won 4 in a row before that year. This same aunt was married to my mom's brother, who was also instrumental in my upbringing as an Alabama fan. She's since mostly converted, as they've had 4 boys and season tickets all these years. But Dad was always who I used to watch games with before I moved out. I've got so many special memories of that time.

BamaNation First Team

Season 92-93. I was at college studying for my CPA exams. Being canadian, being a semi-professional hockey player, hockey was all my life until I watched that game (the underdog Alabama vs the bad Miami Hurricanes). Of course, I chose for the underdog and the rest is history. I became CPA, I continued to play hockey and I've been a college football fan et most importantly a diehard bama fan ever since.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

"Alabama by birth, Crimson Tide by the grace of God."

Like many of you I never knew anything different. My dad and uncle were the ones who introduced me, I guess, but there was never a choice I made. I was just always all Alabama.

In the 70's we just got the "big games" on TV, so I remember listening to Alabama games on the radio with my dad. Anybody remember "Leonard's Losers?"

My uncle also worked for Drummond Coal and was personal friends of John Drummond so we went to tons of games in B'ham and Bryant Denny with tickets from the Drummonds. Witnessed those great teams during hte 70's and I've never looked back!!!

I was never “not” an ALABAMA fan, I don’t know when I became a Bama fan, my fandom has always been. So I guess by default I have always been a CFB fan. I always remember watching college football games on TV because there were so few of them, they were all special.
    to 16 and beyond........

When I was old enough to pay attention to football, my Dad and I would sit and watch Bama on TV (If we were lucky enough for them to be on that weekend). We listened on radio mostly. My Dad took me to games and I saw Johnny Musso run and get jerseys torn off....LOL.
    I remember thinking no matter the score in the 4th quarter, Bama ALWAYS had a chance to make a come back and win!
    I grew up with Coach Bryant at the helm.
    Good times!!

Mike
    ....."The price of victory is high but so are the rewards"....
    Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant