How & when did you become a college football fan? Who introduced you to cfb? - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar

Re: How & when did you become a college football fan? Who introduced you to cfb?

My dad(He passed away very young in 1989). He grew up in Gadsden, AL, was a center in HS there(the old Emma Sansom HS), he was not big enough to play college ball but attended and graduated from UA in 1966 with a degree in biology, where he had vivid memories of having classes with Joe Namath. I came along two years later and, needless to say, I was indoctrinated at an early age to love Bama football at the very beginning of what would be a great decade for the program. My earliest memories are watching or listening to games with him back in the very early ‘70’s, specifically, the 1973 Sugar Bowl was the first game that I recall actually watching. I’ve been a fan ever since...
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Re: How & when did you become a college football fan? Who introduced you to cfb?

Quote Originally Posted by Ping Pong Champ View Post
    1958. I grew up about 40 miles away from Tuscaloosa. Alabama was natural for me. It seemed to me that the Auburn fans were always angry about something. I didnít like that. Good choice.
    Nothing has changed since 1958 Auburn fans are still angry!!!!!!
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation First Team wishbonesooner's Avatar

My dad took me to my first Sooner game in 1962. Bud Wilkinson was on the sidelines, my dad thought he was the greatest coach ever. My dad was at the game in Norman when Notre Dame stopped our 47 game win streak.
    I have my standards, admittedly they're low, but I have standards!

BamaNation All-American Probius's Avatar

I don't remember the moment I became a Bama fan, I was too young to remember. Like many others, I grew up going to Bama games with my dad. My earliest memories are of watching players like Bobby Humphrey, Siran Stacy, Gary Hollingsworth, etc. I remember the 1989 season well, including the heartbreaking loss in the Iron Bowl and the loss in the Sugar Bowl to Miami. I remember the 1992 season very well, especially going to the SEC championship game against Florida in Legion Field. I remember watching the title game against Miami and wanting that win so badly. From my earliest days, Bama players and coaches were seen as rock stars. Bama football stole my heart as a very young child and that will never change.
    ďYou yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe deserve your love and affection.Ē - The Buddha

Formerly Crimson Flyboy.

BamaNation All-American PA Tide Fan's Avatar

I can't remember the first college game I watched but after watching Bama with Coach Bryant a few times I became a college football and Bama fan.

In 1981 I was taken to my first Alabama game by my pee-wee football coach. Unfortunately, Alabama lost to GA Tech that day. I didn't care, I was hooked and never looked back. I've been bleeding crimson since that day and can't thank Coach Wayne enough for doing that for me.

I've since moved from Alabama and now live in NC. I've not seen him in over 15 years, but as I was walking through the CNN center the day of the NCG against GA, I ran into Coach Wayne. We sat and talked for a very long time. I've been to countless Bama games since that first one, but how ironic to run into the man who took me to my first one on a night like that.

BamaNation First Team

I started watching CFB in the late 60's. I think I took the most notice on New Year's Day. When I was a kid we always spent New Year's Day at somebody's house who was having a party. The tv was always on a Bowl game, so it became a point of conversation and focus early on in my life. I didn't really pick it up again until 1982 when I went to the Orange Bowl to see Penn St. play Oklahoma for the National Championship.

I started following recruiting online 7/365 in 1996. That ratcheted things up to a new level of appreciation.

BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DawgByte View Post
    I started watching CFB in the late 60's. I think I took the most notice on New Year's Day. When I was a kid we always spent New Year's Day at somebody's house who was having a party. The tv was always on a Bowl game, so it became a point of conversation and focus early on in my life. I didn't really pick it up again until 1982 when I went to the Orange Bowl to see Penn St. play Oklahoma for the National Championship.

I started following recruiting online 7/365 in 1996. That ratcheted things up to a new level of appreciation.
    Penn State played Oklahoma in the 1986 Orange Bowl.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

BamaNation Hall of Fame CHATTBRIT's Avatar

1980 I moved to SE Tennessee and started watching SEC Football. I had previously only seen Ohio State v. Michigan on Armed Forces TV. Whenever I watched the Vols I would generally end up falling asleep on the couch as they were boring. Those awful orange uniforms were unappealing too. I then started started to watch Alabama and I loved the way CPB would lean against the goalpost before the game. I loved the crimson uniforms. Since that time, I've been Bama fan all the way. I learned of the tradition and the history of the program. I went through the post CPB time and then Coach Stallings. I went through the 3 Mikes before CNS and here we are today.
    Manchester City 2017-2018 English Premier League Champions & Carabou Cup Winners
    My basset hound, Henry. 10-14-1998 - 04-09-2012
    Remembering Victor Ellis #9
    I would rather burn an American flag to protect the Constitution than burn the Constitution to protect the American flag

BamaNation Scout Team

When I was about 6 years old. I grew up in Homewood. My father was an Alabama fan, as were members of his family going back at least to the early 1940s. I very clearly remember my father telling me that "Bear Bryant is coming back to coach the Crimson Tide." I said, "Is that good?" He replied, "Well, he's won everywhere he's been." Little did we know.........

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by deliveryman35 View Post
    Penn State played Oklahoma in the 1986 Orange Bowl.
    Hmmmmmm, you're right. I was there for that one. Perhaps I bumped my head in 1982 and forgot it was 1986!

BamaNation All-American bamagradinATL's Avatar

I grew up in Brewton, Alabama. My dad was a big Alabama fan, he had 2 younger siblings attending the University of Alabama. During that time period, it seemed everyone in town talked about Walter Lewis.

BamaNation First Team LSUgrad2BamaDad's Avatar

My Dad enrolled at LSU in 1960. His parents bought season tickets that year and expanded the number of tickets in their section through family and friends. I was born in 1970 and started going to the games by 74. Those tickets stayed in our family until mid 80s when we were more busy hunting and fishing. My wife and I purchased season tickets in 1994, it was her wedding gift to me - the gift that keeps taking year after year. With one son at Alabama and the other, a HS junior, who doesnít have LSU on his list, I question why we keep them. I guess itís because we have someone who buys any ticket I donít use for face + tradition fee. We go to 1-2 games a year.

I canít believe son 1 has only one FB season left. He is going to graduate May 2020. What will be interesting is if he stays in New Orleans for a career, which is what he wants, how I would treat any potential grandchildren. Itís hard for me to imagine in 10 years bringing a grandkid to a Bama game

p.s. Insomnia sucks! Thank goodness it only happens a few times a year.
    "(The Campus Catholic Sudent Center) is going to be our legacy, Terry and I's legacy, that we're going to be as proud of as anything we've ever accomplished," -Nick Saban
    " I come in peace" -WSIV70 (my old user name)