How & when did you become a college football fan? Who introduced you to cfb?

saturdaysarebet

3rd Team
Jul 26, 2018
How and when did you become a college football fan? Who introduced you to college football? Your dad? An uncle? Who? Or did you just pick it up on your own? And was it a game in person? Watching it on tv?

kenbama

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 15, 2008
Mid fifties my father always took me to the Shriners' Thanksgiving day game between the Georgia Tech and Georgia Freshman , always large crowd of 30000--"STRONG LEGS RUN SO THAT WEAK LEGS WALK" was the motto.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
My dad and uncle took me to the Alabama vs Tulane game in Ladd Stadium in Mobile on a blistering hot, sweltering September aternoon. Tulane won IIRC 33-0. Mid 1950's. Alabama wore crimson jerseys, white helmets and their pants were a light khaki color.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
My dad would take me to games at Legion Field. We'd go to maybe two games every season. My best memory was seeing Joe Namath against UT before he became famous! If I remember correctly, this was in the early sixties. I was a teenager.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I never had a choice. My Mother is a rabid Alabama fan. By the time I was 3 or 4 I was indoctrinated. She did a good job. I am just as big a fan as she is.

Aussie BamaFan

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 1, 2018
Adelaide South Australia
Jesse Williams made me a college football and Alabama fan. I played Football after the Rugby Season Had Finished in Australia (Played Running Back) for a bit and was never a fan of NFL so i was looking for a team to follow and looked at Australians playing in college and there was Jesse or the Punter wing who played at LSU so it was a no brainer so ive been a college football and Alabama fan ever since :)

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Alabama vs UCLA - 1976 Liberty Bowl. First game I truly remember as a kid (would have been 7 years old). Tony Nathan and Johnny Davis became my heroes.

It was always my Dad. The only game he ever missed (watching or listening) was when I was born in 1968. I was born on the 26th. Bama played in the Gator Bowl on the 28th.....and he missed it because I was in the ICU.....fighting to make it through to the next day.

My Mom said he never left the window....watched me the entire night long.

Miss you Dad.....you've been gone too long!

Thanks for everything you ever did -- and thank you for introducing me to your "extended" Bama Family!

PaulD

All-SEC
Dec 29, 2006
near Perry, Georgia, United States
I was a college football fan before I was an Alabama fan. (I didn't grow up in Alabama.) As a kid in Florida, I went to a couple of games in Miami involving my parents' alma maters, AU and Georgia Tech. Went to a couple of games in the Astrodome when we lived in Houston and in HS went to East Lansing from Illinois to watch GT play MSU. Watched some of the limited number of TV games back then, and remember some bowl games. I didn't really become an Alabama fan until I arrived as a freshman in August 1973. Listened to the first game on the radio (UA 66, Cal 0 in Birmingham) and I was hooked for life. Even met my wife in Legion Field in 1978.

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
My first experience with college football was as a 3rd grade in Dallas. My step-father took me to a night game at the Cotton Bowl between SMU & Mizzou. My hero was Doak Walker but those SMU squads under Matty Bell were loaded with talent including Walker, Kyle Rote, Johnny Champion, and Herschall Forrester. We moved back to Tulsa as I entered the 4th grade, just as the OU 47 game winning streak commenced. My godfather was OU's first consensus A.A., Roland "Waddy" Young but I did not connect with the Sooners until I became immersed in that incredible undefeated streak.

edtide25

Nov 30, 2017
Decatur,AL
My dad took me to Legion field to watch the football game and met Paul "Bear" Bryant when I was 3 years old in 1979. That was the time I became a true Bama fan. :)

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
I was a college football fan before I was an Alabama fan. (I didn't grow up in Alabama.)I stole your intro PaulD! Being from Chicago you were most likely a Notre Dame or Big 10 fan, I just liked football. Then I met a girl from Dothan on the beach in Naples in '83, my junior year of HS and my life was forever changed! That accent, those cutoffs... Worked it out with my baseball coach, went for a visit and knew then and there that I was going to The University of Alabama, baseball or not...
I was a college football fan before I was an Alabama fan. (I didn't grow up in Alabama.) As a kid in Florida, I went to a couple of games in Miami involving my parents' alma maters, AU and Georgia Tech. Went to a couple of games in the Astrodome when we lived in Houston and in HS went to East Lansing from Illinois to watch GT play MSU. Watched some of the limited number of TV games back then, and remember some bowl games. I didn't really become an Alabama fan until I arrived as a freshman in August 1973. Listened to the first game on the radio (UA 66, Cal 0 in Birmingham) and I was hooked for life. Even met my wife in Legion Field in 1978.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
My family and I went to Tuscaloosa to watch Alabama play Vandy in 1978. We sat there watching the managers with all of the tear away jerseys and I was hooked. I was very young then, but I still remember what I think were some plays from that game. Those guys were larger than life for me.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
i was born into it :)

my granddad worked on/around campus all of his life and my parents both went to bama. i broke my collarbone running laps around the living room and jumping over my dad while he was laying on the floor watching the orange bowl v. nebraska (71/72). he took me to my first game vs virginia tech, homecoming 1978. i would usher games at bryant-denny as a boy scout and my grandparents used to take me to legion field games in the early-mid 80s. the nd "sack" game was the most memorable with them. they were old as dirt at the time but were filled with glee getting to watch us beat notre damn. we would also listen to the games on a transistor radio while dove hunting or chopping firewood during the fall.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.