A dangerously dirty dishwasher...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Has your KitchenAid/Maytag/Whirlpool dishwasher stopped cleaning and have you noticed an odor or flecks of brown matter? You might want to take the bottom spray arm off, with the two screws holding the filter compartment. We cleaned out 2/3 cup of brown sludge. This KitchenAid is two years old and is supposed to be "self-cleaning"...

Dishwasher #3.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Geez I hate to hear that. My wife just bought a new KitchenAid last month.

It replaced the one we had been using for the last 14 years. She liked the old KitchenAid so much that when we moved to Milan she had me bring it from our old house and install it in our new home.

We replaced it because it just stopped turning on. I assumed a control panel issue and removed the control panel but in trying to find a new panel I wasn't confident in what part number I needed so I punted.

I think I'm going to be sick.:(

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Geez I hate to hear that. My wife just bought a new KitchenAid last month.

It replaced the one we had been using for the last 14 years. She liked the old KitchenAid so much that when we moved to Milan she had me bring it from our old house and install it in our new home.

We replaced it because it just stopped turning on. I assumed a control panel issue and removed the control panel but in trying to find a new panel I wasn't confident in what part number I needed so I punted.

I think I'm going to be sick.:(
Well, a tickler is going on the computer for a quarterly clean-out. We had a LG before which was a much better design than the KA. However, it broke and broke and broke. I'd have trouble remembering all that I replaced. We made a pact that, the next time it broke, we'd replace it. The warranty ran out and it broke again, hence the new KA. One thing let me make clear - we are very compulsive with rinsing and cleaning dishes before they go in. It's all on their filtration system...

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Well, a tickler is going on the computer for a quarterly clean-out. We had a LG before which was a much better design than the KA. However, it broke and broke and broke. I'd have trouble remembering all that I replaced. We made a pact that, the next time it broke, we'd replace it. The warranty ran out and it broke again, hence the new KA. One thing let me make clear - we are very compulsive with rinsing and cleaning dishes before they go in. It's all on their filtration system...
Yeah, I'm gonna have to open mine up. We also use the dishwasher to wash dishes that are already clean.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
It is interesting to see a Whirlpool manufactured product have an issue such as this. Due to their volume over their brands and close monitoring of their service incident rate they seldom have an significant issue such as this. I recall when reviewing dishwasher designs across the industry WP was featuring a "food chopper" that would enable the user to load and wash dirty dishes. This is likely the genesis of the problem you have found in that the unit isn't flushing properly. I believe that it is possible that WP service is aware of the problem and would offer a solution to address it.

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
Does your drain line from dishwasher have a good bend in it creating a trap and preventing dirty drain water from reentering the dishwasher? Most lines I have seen don't have this and while it didn't always cause problems with the old ones, some of the newer ones (especially the low water ones) have issues with this. I seriously doubt that is the whole issue, but you might want to check your drain line if you haven't already.

Talk about a timely post. Our top and bottom rack need replacing, but I can get a new DW cheaper than I can buy the parts. Think I am going to wait a bit now and hope someone comes on with a great review of a less than top of the line unit.:)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Does your drain line from dishwasher have a good bend in it creating a trap and preventing dirty drain water from reentering the dishwasher? Most lines I have seen don't have this and while it didn't always cause problems with the old ones, some of the newer ones (especially the low water ones) have issues with this. I seriously doubt that is the whole issue, but you might want to check your drain line if you haven't already.

Talk about a timely post. Our top and bottom rack need replacing, but I can get a new DW cheaper than I can buy the parts. Think I am going to wait a bit now and hope someone comes on with a great review of a less than top of the line unit.:)
Yes. I use a big loop, rather than the sink-mounted vent cap, which I've had trouble with before. I would point out that it has, as all do, a check valve in the drain line and it's functioning. When we dipped out the residual water, it didn't refill...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It is interesting to see a Whirlpool manufactured product have an issue such as this. Due to their volume over their brands and close monitoring of their service incident rate they seldom have an significant issue such as this. I recall when reviewing dishwasher designs across the industry WP was featuring a "food chopper" that would enable the user to load and wash dirty dishes. This is likely the genesis of the problem you have found in that the unit isn't flushing properly. I believe that it is possible that WP service is aware of the problem and would offer a solution to address it.
You are on to part of the problem. I noticed while installing and looking at the diagrams that the macerator was only one-third the size of the LG it replaced and had only two blades - one piece of metal bent down on two sides and sharpened, instead of three, with the cutting blades welded on. Pretty cheap and shoddy, really. Also, the macerator motor is wimpy, compared to the LG. The only problem with the LG was its breaking. My wife just got tired of having it lying out in the floor while I waited for parts to come in...

The next place I post this will be on one of of the WP/KA/Maytag support forums...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I have often wondered if there was some kind of screen or sump to clean out on my washer. It's an Estate by Whirlpool I bought used from an ERAU student on CL. I've had it for probably going on 15 years and it works flawlessly.
Thanks for the post, Earle!

EDIT: Just noticed you said Dish WASHER....not washing machine. :)

Never mind......

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I have often wondered if there was some kind of screen or sump to clean out on my washer. It's an Estate by Whirlpool I bought used from an ERAU student on CL. I've had it for probably going on 15 years and it works flawlessly.
Thanks for the post, Earle!

EDIT: Just noticed you said Dish WASHER....not washing machine. :)

Never mind......
That's OK. Hold on to that washing machine as long as you can. It's built better than anything you can buy today...

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
You are on to part of the problem. I noticed while installing and looking at the diagrams that the macerator was only one-third the size of the LG it replaced and had only two blades - one piece of metal bent down on two sides and sharpened, instead of three, with the cutting blades welded on. Pretty cheap and shoddy, really. Also, the macerator motor is wimpy, compared to the LG. The only problem with the LG was its breaking. My wife just got tired of having it lying out in the floor while I waited for parts to come in...

The next place I post this will be on one of of the WP/KA/Maytag support forums...
The great conundrum designers face in the appliance industry is the tremendous drive for cost improvements. The macerator likely has gone through generations of cost reduction since its original introduction including sourcing a Chinese motor versus the original Emerson that Whirlpool utilized across their product lines.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Next chapter - my wife is painstakingly cleaning around the wheels, etc., on the racks. The gunk is everywhere. If the temps weren't going to bottom out in a couple of days, I'd take off the faucet protectors and blast the racks with a garden hose. Given the forecast, I'll probably put it in a shower. It's a one-person job and I tell her I love her frequently...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The great conundrum designers face in the appliance industry is the tremendous drive for cost improvements. The macerator likely has gone through generations of cost reduction since its original introduction including sourcing a Chinese motor versus the original Emerson that Whirlpool utilized across their product lines.
It's cost reduction plus planned obsolescence. We have a upper line Panasonic microwave. It has an inverter, which few do. IOW, if you set the power setting on 50%, the actual power put out by the magnetron is at 50%, rather than just running half the time, not a cheap feature, if you're familiar with what that takes, electrically. However, the first problem which cropped up was having to close the door firmly, finally slamming it. Then, it just quit. Well, I had repaired microwaves before, so I took it apart. All MWs, AFAIK have three microswitches which must be depressed by the door, two open, one closed. The microswitches were mounted on thin metal, the liner of the MW, bent back to form a mount. Over time, the metal fatigued, bent and then the switches couldn't be depressed. I went up to my shop and found aluminum brackets almost tailor-made for reinforcement, just had to be bent a bit in a vise. I mounted them and reinforced the microswitch mounting. Years later, it still works. Just still has to be closed firmly. If you Google, you will find literally thousands of complains about this problem with Panasonic microwaves...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.