What was Alabama's best offensive line ever? 2012? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BamaNation All-American

Re: What was Alabama's best offensive line ever? 2012?

Quote Originally Posted by rtrbama1 View Post
    Hannah and Stephenson may have been the best guard and center to ever play the game...for any team.
    I would certainly think that they would be in the running.

FB|BB Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonForce View Post
    This may be an unpopular opinion but that 2012 group went up against probably the weakest team that has ever appeared in a NC game. They were a really good unit but I'm not sure about all time great based on the level of competition in the highest profile game..
    ND wasn't a great team, despite their record and hype leading into the game. But that doesn't make the 2012 OL any less great. Ask Georgia in the SECCG. In the second half of that game, everybody in the stadium knew we were going to run, and our backs were getting 5-7 yards downfield before being touched. We could have told them the play, and they still couldn't have stopped it.

And I've always felt that an undefeated season slipped away against aTm and Johnny Football when Nussmeier had a brain freeze after we had first and goal inside the five to take the lead in the last minute or two. He got cute on calling passes when he should have challenged them to prove they were the greatest of all time and run the dang ball 4 times. No way that aTm D could have stopped that OL 4 straight times. Plus, we would have either run the clock down to nothing or forced aTm to burn all their time-outs. As it was, we didn't hit a couple of fade routes, got behind the sticks, then had to pass. Ifs and buts.....

But back to the point, I don't see where the fact that Notre Dame wasn't as strong as their record detracts from the greatness of the 2012 group.
    Last edited by 4Q Basket Case; March 7th, 2019 at 04:46 AM.
    You can't reason a man out of a position he didn't reason himself into.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

This may be an unpopular opinion but that 2012 group went up against probably the weakest team that has ever appeared in a NC game. They were a really good unit but I'm not sure about all time great based on the level of competition in the highest profile game..
    That o-line was responsible for two championships, and they beat a lot of great defenses during that span.

BamaNation Second Team

I've wondered about that, but how much of it was Alabama being so dominant that made Notre Dame look so bad?

BamaNation Scout Team

Certainly '12 was the most cohesive OL of the CNS era. Also had Jeff Stoutland as the OL coach which only helped.

Would love to see that 2012 OL take on last year's Clemson DL.

Read an article that suggested that Alabama wanted to move Williams to center this year and he did not want to move. Looking at the possible o-line with him at center - his selfish decision there could really have hurt you. I get his decision ($$$), but I wonder if you might have been much better at running the ball with him in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Read an article that suggested that Alabama wanted to move Williams to center this year and he did not want to move. Looking at the possible o-line with him at center - his selfish decision there could really have hurt you. I get his decision ($$$), but I wonder if you might have been much better at running the ball with him in the middle.
    There was talk last year after the Georgia game that Jonah was moving to center with Leatherwood and Wills each at tackle and Womack at RG. Possible Jonah's decision mattered, but Deonte Brown's injury also played a role in the OL's play, too.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation All-American

I saw that. Would have been interesting to see a line with him at C.

As far as the 2012 OL goes, amazing how good that group was together but each player's performance did not translate to the NFL.

Saw where Warmack will be a FA after jumping around a few teams and might be finished playing. Fluker has bounced around a few teams, too. Steen is still a FA after an injury cut his 2017 season short. CyKo has had his struggles in the league.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    There was talk last year after the Georgia game that Jonah was moving to center with Leatherwood and Wills each at tackle and Womack at RG. Possible Jonah's decision mattered, but Deonte Brown's injury also played a role in the OL's play, too.
    Brown's injury hurt you, but think about this - the smartest o-lineman is usually moved to center because he makes the calls. There is no doubt that Williams was your smartest o-lineman last year - probably the smartest that you have had since Jones graduated. Brown helped make up for having Ross at center, but there was still too much confusion and way too many guys made it through the line last year totally unblocked because of that confusion. When you see the physical talent on that line, it boggles the mind.

I am not blaming it on Williams, but I just see how things might have been much better with him at center.

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    As far as the 2012 OL goes, amazing how good that group was together but each player's performance did not translate to the NFL.

Saw where Warmack will be a FA after jumping around a few teams and might be finished playing. Fluker has bounced around a few teams, too. Steen is still a FA after an injury cut his 2017 season short. CyKo has had his struggles in the league.
    I think that it became obvious in the NFL that those guys were dominant run blockers, but weak at pass protection. The NFL requires dominant pass blockers first, then hopes that a player can also block for its RBs.

Brown's injury hurt you, but think about this - the smartest o-lineman is usually moved to center because he makes the calls. There is no doubt that Williams was your smartest o-lineman last year - probably the smartest that you have had since Jones graduated. Brown helped make up for having Ross at center, but there was still too much confusion and way too many guys made it through the line last year totally unblocked because of that confusion. When you see the physical talent on that line, it boggles the mind.

I am not blaming it on Williams, but I just see how things might have been much better with him at center.
    I can see how things could have been different, too. Seemed the issues were more at RG, but Jonah at C could have made a difference in that area.

I think that it became obvious in the NFL that those guys were dominant run blockers, but weak at pass protection. The NFL requires dominant pass blockers first, then hopes that a player can also block for its RBs.
    Good point. That was before Saban changed the offensive philosophy, and the NFL had already drifted away from that thinking.
    -- Coach Bryant

BamaNation Second Team