What was Alabama's best offensive line ever? 2012?

ChattTide

All-SEC
Jul 20, 2000
Memphis, TN
Some were calling that the best OL ever. I'll say this, that group provided holes a Mack truck could've driven through and could move a pile. I still have an image of DJ Fluker getting upset with the OL on one particular play in the SEC Championship game. It was like a light bulb came on and everybody on that line got in sync. I think we started rolling up yardage after that. The running game could not be stopped after that.

Roll Tide!!
ChattTide

oldtimetider

1st Team
Nov 16, 2008
Can't argue against the 2012 bunch...but that 71 line could move some bodies around....unless those bodies were from Nebraska

bamadws56

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2005
Fort Benning, GA
It is interesting most of the players on the 2012 line never caught on in the NFL. It is the testamemt of a group which the whole was much greater than the sum of its parts.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
As a unit, probably the best in the time I`ve been watching Alabama football ( since `58 ). If John Hannah and Dwight Stephenson, who I would submit are the two best individual O linemen to play at UA, had played on the same line, might be different.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I really thought that last year's line would surpass the 2012 o-line. There was more talent on last year's line, but they just couldn't get it together. There will be more talent on this year's o-line than 2012, too. Let's see what happens.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
This may be an unpopular opinion but that 2012 group went up against probably the weakest team that has ever appeared in a NC game. They were a really good unit but I'm not sure about all time great based on the level of competition in the highest profile game..

rtrbama1

1st Team
May 31, 2015
As a unit, probably the best in the time I`ve been watching Alabama football ( since `58 ). If John Hannah and Dwight Stephenson, who I would submit are the two best individual O linemen to play at UA, had played on the same line, might be different.
Hannah and Stephenson may have been the best guard and center to ever play the game...for any team.

Last edited:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
This may be an unpopular opinion but that 2012 group went up against probably the weakest team that has ever appeared in a NC game. They were a really good unit but I'm not sure about all time great based on the level of competition in the highest profile game..
ND wasn't a great team, despite their record and hype leading into the game. But that doesn't make the 2012 OL any less great. Ask Georgia in the SECCG. In the second half of that game, everybody in the stadium knew we were going to run, and our backs were getting 5-7 yards downfield before being touched. We could have told them the play, and they still couldn't have stopped it.

And I've always felt that an undefeated season slipped away against aTm and Johnny Football when Nussmeier had a brain freeze after we had first and goal inside the five to take the lead in the last minute or two. He got cute on calling passes when he should have challenged them to prove they were the greatest of all time and run the dang ball 4 times. No way that aTm D could have stopped that OL 4 straight times. Plus, we would have either run the clock down to nothing or forced aTm to burn all their time-outs. As it was, we didn't hit a couple of fade routes, got behind the sticks, then had to pass. Ifs and buts.....

But back to the point, I don't see where the fact that Notre Dame wasn't as strong as their record detracts from the greatness of the 2012 group.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
That o-line was responsible for two championships, and they beat a lot of great defenses during that span.

saturdaysarebet

3rd Team
Jul 26, 2018
I've wondered about that, but how much of it was Alabama being so dominant that made Notre Dame look so bad?

LogJammin

Apr 23, 2017
Certainly '12 was the most cohesive OL of the CNS era. Also had Jeff Stoutland as the OL coach which only helped.

Would love to see that 2012 OL take on last year's Clemson DL.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Read an article that suggested that Alabama wanted to move Williams to center this year and he did not want to move. Looking at the possible o-line with him at center - his selfish decision there could really have hurt you. I get his decision ($$$), but I wonder if you might have been much better at running the ball with him in the middle.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Read an article that suggested that Alabama wanted to move Williams to center this year and he did not want to move. Looking at the possible o-line with him at center - his selfish decision there could really have hurt you. I get his decision ($$$), but I wonder if you might have been much better at running the ball with him in the middle.
There was talk last year after the Georgia game that Jonah was moving to center with Leatherwood and Wills each at tackle and Womack at RG. Possible Jonah's decision mattered, but Deonte Brown's injury also played a role in the OL's play, too.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.