What was Alabama's best offensive line ever? 2012?

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Read an article that suggested that Alabama wanted to move Williams to center this year and he did not want to move. Looking at the possible o-line with him at center - his selfish decision there could really have hurt you. I get his decision ($$$), but I wonder if you might have been much better at running the ball with him in the middle.
I saw that. Would have been interesting to see a line with him at C.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
As far as the 2012 OL goes, amazing how good that group was together but each player's performance did not translate to the NFL.

Saw where Warmack will be a FA after jumping around a few teams and might be finished playing. Fluker has bounced around a few teams, too. Steen is still a FA after an injury cut his 2017 season short. CyKo has had his struggles in the league.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
There was talk last year after the Georgia game that Jonah was moving to center with Leatherwood and Wills each at tackle and Womack at RG. Possible Jonah's decision mattered, but Deonte Brown's injury also played a role in the OL's play, too.
Brown's injury hurt you, but think about this - the smartest o-lineman is usually moved to center because he makes the calls. There is no doubt that Williams was your smartest o-lineman last year - probably the smartest that you have had since Jones graduated. Brown helped make up for having Ross at center, but there was still too much confusion and way too many guys made it through the line last year totally unblocked because of that confusion. When you see the physical talent on that line, it boggles the mind.

I am not blaming it on Williams, but I just see how things might have been much better with him at center.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
As far as the 2012 OL goes, amazing how good that group was together but each player's performance did not translate to the NFL.

Saw where Warmack will be a FA after jumping around a few teams and might be finished playing. Fluker has bounced around a few teams, too. Steen is still a FA after an injury cut his 2017 season short. CyKo has had his struggles in the league.
I think that it became obvious in the NFL that those guys were dominant run blockers, but weak at pass protection. The NFL requires dominant pass blockers first, then hopes that a player can also block for its RBs.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Brown's injury hurt you, but think about this - the smartest o-lineman is usually moved to center because he makes the calls. There is no doubt that Williams was your smartest o-lineman last year - probably the smartest that you have had since Jones graduated. Brown helped make up for having Ross at center, but there was still too much confusion and way too many guys made it through the line last year totally unblocked because of that confusion. When you see the physical talent on that line, it boggles the mind.

I am not blaming it on Williams, but I just see how things might have been much better with him at center.
I can see how things could have been different, too. Seemed the issues were more at RG, but Jonah at C could have made a difference in that area.

I think that it became obvious in the NFL that those guys were dominant run blockers, but weak at pass protection. The NFL requires dominant pass blockers first, then hopes that a player can also block for its RBs.
Good point. That was before Saban changed the offensive philosophy, and the NFL had already drifted away from that thinking.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.