Game Thread: OFFICIAL POSTGAME THREAD - Bama v. LSU...

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Well that opens two more spots. Edit: just saw this.

https://247sports.com/college/alaba...iddens-were-in-Senior-Day-ceremony-129644539/

As someone said, Lewis shot the ball way too quick on a bunch of empty possessions which in the end cost us the game (I just noticed he was 3 of 16 from the floor). Our two seniors and JP played good games and everybody else did not. We have to beat the Barn and most likely Ark to get in.

Last edited:

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I like the 5 out there of Hall, Norris, Petty, Jones and Lewis. That's our best group.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I like the 5 out there of Hall, Norris, Petty, Jones and Lewis. That's our best group.
If I'm picking the starters I'd agree on those five.

That said, I don't think we have 5 players that are just that much better game to game than some of the guys off the bench (depending on who starts). I'd say the two guys we need on the floor the most are Lewis (who had his first really bad game today) and Hall. Lately, Riley Norris has been very dependable and inspirational (despite his bad pass at the end of the game).

Otherwise, I think Avery is just trying to get a good mix on the floor. If Petty is hot, like today, he needs lots of minutes/looks. Today Mack at a rough day, but normally shoots it better. Normally Jones is cold as ice, but today hit a few.

FWIW, I think we are a better team without Jr. out there and I don't recall seeing him on the floor today.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
According to the ESPN box score, he logged one minute with zeros across the line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
FWIW, I think we are a better team without Jr. out there and I don't recall seeing him on the floor today.
CAJ put him the last minute of the first half, so Lewis would not pick up a foul in garbage time. Then, he ended up putting in Lewis, for the last shot, anyway. (Jr stayed in.)

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I didn't think we matched up with LSU today, just too many good bigs for us to compete effectively. We had a chance to win at the end, but didn't get it done. I liked our fight today. We need to win the next for sure to get in. I also thought the officiating was a complete joke today. They traveled early and often. Coach johnson gets It'd up when Wade gets away with s reaming at the officials all the way down the floor. We were never going to win with these goons running the show.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
CAJ put him the last minute of the first half, so Lewis would not pick up a foul in garbage time. Then, he ended up putting in Lewis, for the last shot, anyway. (Jr stayed in.)
This, IMO, is the way he should have been being used all along. It's possible his heavy presence on the court cost us a game or two...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I didn't think we matched up with LSU today, just too many good bigs for us to compete effectively. We had a chance to win at the end, but didn't get it done. I liked our fight today. We need to win the next for sure to get in. I also thought the officiating was a complete joke today. They traveled early and often. Coach johnson gets It'd up when Wade gets away with s reaming at the officials all the way down the floor. We were never going to win with these goons running the show.
I tend to agree. I noticed the constant travels to start drives and the left forearm shivver seemed to be standard, along with the travel. It would have been a different game, had it been called down the middle...

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Cecil Hurt is not Avery Johnson's friend.

https://www.tidesports.com/cecil-hurt-its-deja-vu-for-alabama-basketball/

Says what's been written here a fair amount since the sleepwalking performance against Florida -- essentially that we're not one whit better today than we were at the beginning of the season, or last year, or the one before that, or any of several dating back to Anthony Grant.

Cecil doesn't elaborate a whole lot, but I agree and find some more damning factors: the same things bedevil us again and again, game after game, year after year...slow starts, a guaranteed 5-minute scoring drought somewhere in the game, defensive lapses, turnovers (especially in the clutch), horrendous free-throw shooting, all leading to a jaw-dropping propensity to yak up big leads late.

Greg Byrne has a tough call to make. He could fire Johnson and pay the buyout. He could keep him another year. Or both sides could acknowledge that neither is happy, and reach a negotiated settlement. There are big risks to any of them, complete with exposure to all sorts of second-guessing....naturally, by those with the benefit of hindsight who give the slipstream when the decision has to be made.

The question looming over it all is, if we and Johnson part ways under whatever circumstances, how sure are we that the next guy will be better? This is where the AD earns his seven figures.

Last edited:

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA

Says what's been written here a fair amount since the sleepwalking performance against Florida -- essentially that we're not one whit better today than we were at the beginning of the season, or last year, or the one before that, or any of several dating back to Anthony Grant.

Cecil doesn't elaborate a whole lot, but I agree and find some more damning factors: the same things bedevil us again and again, game after game, year after year...slow starts, a guaranteed 5-minute scoring drought somewhere in the game, defensive lapses, turnovers (especially in the clutch), horrendous free-throw shooting, all leading to a jaw-dropping propensity to yak up big leads late.

Greg Byrne has a tough call to make. He could fire Johnson and pay the buyout. He could keep him another year. Or both sides could acknowledge that neither is happy, and reach a negotiated settlement. There are big risks to any of them, complete with exposure to all sorts of second-guessing....naturally, by those with the benefit of hindsight who give the slipstream when the decision has to be made.

The question looming over it all is, if we and Johnson part ways under whatever circumstances, how sure are we that the next guy will be better? This is where the AD earns his seven figures.
At this point, I would like us to consider a successful young up and comer from a mid major. I loved the AJ hiring and still like him but don’t think he has shown any growth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
It seems to me lately that Petty stays engaged on defense and rebounding regardless of how his shots are falling and he really helped us against USC with 10 boards. I am not a fan of Ingram and I'll stop there out of respect for board rules. We seem to be short players and I can't figure that out in the 4th year.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I'm not sad I missed the game, but I also can't speak to the effort because of it. The result is a loss to a good squad away.

The thing that bothers me is not just that Alabama has stagnated at 17-12 for 5 years - the conference is much better than five years ago so 17-12 has a different meaning now than five years ago.

No, the thing that really bothers me is that this team had an opportunity in January after beating a good KY team and taking UTe to the wire to build on the momentum and become one of the top 4 teams in conference. They had opportunity to work hard and improve their game (especially fundamentals) and give good effort and be right at the top of the pack.

But what actually happened?

They took several steps back, hitting a trough in the Florida game that was one of the worst efforts I've ever seen on a basketball court. Any improvement made since then just says that they didn't completely give up on the rest of the season because there was little room for downward movement.

I haven't seen anything close to that early Jan squad. Flashes every now and then, but not on the same level consistently.

I am solidly on the "It's time to make a change" bandwagon. I like Johnson, but he has taken a team that could be top 4 in conference and underachieved because the players have not been developed and because of a stubborn inability to use the talent he has in a rotation that makes any lick of sense.

Still pulling for the team to make the tourney and make some noise but Im not convinced AJ is the man to lead Alabama back to the next level.

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
Interesting to compare CAJ's record with Rick Barnes and Ben Howland, who were hired at their schools the same year (were they both still on the market when Battle hired Avery?). Avery and Barnes have the exact same record, and Howland is 2 games behind them. However, this season, while Bama is again 17-12, UT is 26-3 and MSU 21-8. The impression is that the other 2 teams have surpassed a stagnant Bama. I liked the hire of Avery and thought he would bring new energy to the program, but am as baffled as the rest of you with the results.

These stats are a snapshot, of course. If the team can rebound from yesterday's disappointment, smoke Auburn Tuesday and put together a big run to finish the season (preferably in the NCAA), then maybe Byrne can lower the temperature on Avery's seat. Otherwise, he has a decision to make.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Interesting to compare CAJ's record with Rick Barnes and Ben Howland, who were hired at their schools the same year (were they both still on the market when Battle hired Avery?). Avery and Barnes have the exact same record, and Howland is 2 games behind them. However, this season, while Bama is again 17-12, UT is 26-3 and MSU 21-8. The impression is that the other 2 teams have surpassed a stagnant Bama. I liked the hire of Avery and thought he would bring new energy to the program, but am as baffled as the rest of you with the results.

These stats are a snapshot, of course. If the team can rebound from yesterday's disappointment, smoke Auburn Tuesday and put together a big run to finish the season (preferably in the NCAA), then maybe Byrne can lower the temperature on Avery's seat. Otherwise, he has a decision to make.
I believe we were throwing everything at Greg Marshall when UT and MSU landed Barnes and Howland respectively. I was hoping for Barnes myself.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Alabama isn't a basketball or a men's multi sport school (unless you count golf). I think Alabama is probably the 5th to 7th best job in the SEC, and the Marshall fiasco proved that. I'm not convinced firing Johnson will magically put us back into a Newton, Sanderson, or Gottfried era.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Alabama isn't a basketball or a men's multi sport school (unless you count golf). I think Alabama is probably the 5th to 7th best job in the SEC, and the Marshall fiasco proved that. I'm not convinced firing Johnson will magically put us back into a Newton, Sanderson, or Gottfried era.
There is no promise that a change will lift the Tide. It could get worse, that's true. It's also true Bama is currently a 2nd rate school in men's BB, but traditionally until 1992 or so it was 2nd only behind Kentucky.

It's a good thing I'm not making the decisions but I would put on a full court press for the best coach I could persuade with $$$, facility upgrades, and full support.

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
And Marshall's not exactly lighting it up at Wichita State anymore.....unless you can land Coach K, hiring a CBB coach seems to be a complete and total crapshoot these days.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
There is no promise that a change will lift the Tide. It could get worse, that's true. It's also true Bama is currently a 2nd rate school in men's BB, but traditionally until 1992 or so it was 2nd only behind Kentucky.

It's a good thing I'm not making the decisions but I would put on a full court press for the best coach I could persuade with $$$, facility upgrades, and full support.
My thing is we've seen the commitment Alabama has to basketball and baseball since CNS got on campus. We've also saw what can happen when fans start calling for coaches heads in those sports. Once baseball "fired" Gaspard we hired a guy that we had to fire after one year because he had the NCAA sniffing around our campus and started to make threats about scholarship. Its what when you aren't very committed to success in those sports.

I just don't think constantly firing coaches because they aren't up to Newton, Wells, and Wimps levels to success isn't doing us any favors, and could potentially hurt us even worse at other sports.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL

I couldn't remember so I looked it up because I wanted to know this myself.

Alabama fired xCAG March 15, 2015.
MSU hired CBH March 24, 2015.
UT hired CRB March 31, 2015.
I'm not sure of the exact dates but there is an article on si.com dated March 23, 2015 that states Alabama will pursue Gregg Marshall and then an article on al.com dated April 2, 2015 states that Marshall announced that he is staying at WSU.
Alabama hired CAJ April 5, 2015.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.