Game Thread: OFFICIAL POSTGAME THREAD - Bama v. LSU... - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American

Re: OFFICIAL POSTGAME THREAD - Bama v. LSU...

I didn't think we matched up with LSU today, just too many good bigs for us to compete effectively. We had a chance to win at the end, but didn't get it done. I liked our fight today. We need to win the next for sure to get in. I also thought the officiating was a complete joke today. They traveled early and often. Coach johnson gets It'd up when Wade gets away with s reaming at the officials all the way down the floor. We were never going to win with these goons running the show.

Quote Originally Posted by cuda.1973 View Post
    CAJ put him the last minute of the first half, so Lewis would not pick up a foul in garbage time. Then, he ended up putting in Lewis, for the last shot, anyway. (Jr stayed in.)
    This, IMO, is the way he should have been being used all along. It's possible his heavy presence on the court cost us a game or two...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Rama Jama View Post
    I didn't think we matched up with LSU today, just too many good bigs for us to compete effectively. We had a chance to win at the end, but didn't get it done. I liked our fight today. We need to win the next for sure to get in. I also thought the officiating was a complete joke today. They traveled early and often. Coach johnson gets It'd up when Wade gets away with s reaming at the officials all the way down the floor. We were never going to win with these goons running the show.
    I tend to agree. I noticed the constant travels to start drives and the left forearm shivver seemed to be standard, along with the travel. It would have been a different game, had it been called down the middle...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

FB|BB Moderator

Cecil Hurt is not Avery Johnson's friend.

https://www.tidesports.com/cecil-hur...ma-basketball/

Says what's been written here a fair amount since the sleepwalking performance against Florida -- essentially that we're not one whit better today than we were at the beginning of the season, or last year, or the one before that, or any of several dating back to Anthony Grant.

Cecil doesn't elaborate a whole lot, but I agree and find some more damning factors: the same things bedevil us again and again, game after game, year after year...slow starts, a guaranteed 5-minute scoring drought somewhere in the game, defensive lapses, turnovers (especially in the clutch), horrendous free-throw shooting, all leading to a jaw-dropping propensity to yak up big leads late.

Greg Byrne has a tough call to make. He could fire Johnson and pay the buyout. He could keep him another year. Or both sides could acknowledge that neither is happy, and reach a negotiated settlement. There are big risks to any of them, complete with exposure to all sorts of second-guessing....naturally, by those with the benefit of hindsight who give the slipstream when the decision has to be made.

The question looming over it all is, if we and Johnson part ways under whatever circumstances, how sure are we that the next guy will be better? This is where the AD earns his seven figures.
    Last edited by 4Q Basket Case; March 3rd, 2019 at 11:31 AM.
    You can't reason a man out of a position he didn't reason himself into.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaFlum's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 4Q Basket Case View Post

Says what's been written here a fair amount since the sleepwalking performance against Florida -- essentially that we're not one whit better today than we were at the beginning of the season, or last year, or the one before that, or any of several dating back to Anthony Grant.

Cecil doesn't elaborate a whole lot, but I agree and find some more damning factors: the same things bedevil us again and again, game after game, year after year...slow starts, a guaranteed 5-minute scoring drought somewhere in the game, defensive lapses, turnovers (especially in the clutch), horrendous free-throw shooting, all leading to a jaw-dropping propensity to yak up big leads late.

Greg Byrne has a tough call to make. He could fire Johnson and pay the buyout. He could keep him another year. Or both sides could acknowledge that neither is happy, and reach a negotiated settlement. There are big risks to any of them, complete with exposure to all sorts of second-guessing....naturally, by those with the benefit of hindsight who give the slipstream when the decision has to be made.

The question looming over it all is, if we and Johnson part ways under whatever circumstances, how sure are we that the next guy will be better? This is where the AD earns his seven figures.
    At this point, I would like us to consider a successful young up and comer from a mid major. I loved the AJ hiring and still like him but dont think he has shown any growth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RTR!

BamaNation All-American

It seems to me lately that Petty stays engaged on defense and rebounding regardless of how his shots are falling and he really helped us against USC with 10 boards. I am not a fan of Ingram and I'll stop there out of respect for board rules. We seem to be short players and I can't figure that out in the 4th year.

Super Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

I'm not sad I missed the game, but I also can't speak to the effort because of it. The result is a loss to a good squad away.

The thing that bothers me is not just that Alabama has stagnated at 17-12 for 5 years - the conference is much better than five years ago so 17-12 has a different meaning now than five years ago.

No, the thing that really bothers me is that this team had an opportunity in January after beating a good KY team and taking UTe to the wire to build on the momentum and become one of the top 4 teams in conference. They had opportunity to work hard and improve their game (especially fundamentals) and give good effort and be right at the top of the pack.

But what actually happened?

They took several steps back, hitting a trough in the Florida game that was one of the worst efforts I've ever seen on a basketball court. Any improvement made since then just says that they didn't completely give up on the rest of the season because there was little room for downward movement.

I haven't seen anything close to that early Jan squad. Flashes every now and then, but not on the same level consistently.

I am solidly on the "It's time to make a change" bandwagon. I like Johnson, but he has taken a team that could be top 4 in conference and underachieved because the players have not been developed and because of a stubborn inability to use the talent he has in a rotation that makes any lick of sense.

Still pulling for the team to make the tourney and make some noise but Im not convinced AJ is the man to lead Alabama back to the next level.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

BamaNation First Team bvandegraff's Avatar

Interesting to compare CAJ's record with Rick Barnes and Ben Howland, who were hired at their schools the same year (were they both still on the market when Battle hired Avery?). Avery and Barnes have the exact same record, and Howland is 2 games behind them. However, this season, while Bama is again 17-12, UT is 26-3 and MSU 21-8. The impression is that the other 2 teams have surpassed a stagnant Bama. I liked the hire of Avery and thought he would bring new energy to the program, but am as baffled as the rest of you with the results.

These stats are a snapshot, of course. If the team can rebound from yesterday's disappointment, smoke Auburn Tuesday and put together a big run to finish the season (preferably in the NCAA), then maybe Byrne can lower the temperature on Avery's seat. Otherwise, he has a decision to make.

Quote Originally Posted by bvandegraff View Post
    Interesting to compare CAJ's record with Rick Barnes and Ben Howland, who were hired at their schools the same year (were they both still on the market when Battle hired Avery?). Avery and Barnes have the exact same record, and Howland is 2 games behind them. However, this season, while Bama is again 17-12, UT is 26-3 and MSU 21-8. The impression is that the other 2 teams have surpassed a stagnant Bama. I liked the hire of Avery and thought he would bring new energy to the program, but am as baffled as the rest of you with the results.

These stats are a snapshot, of course. If the team can rebound from yesterday's disappointment, smoke Auburn Tuesday and put together a big run to finish the season (preferably in the NCAA), then maybe Byrne can lower the temperature on Avery's seat. Otherwise, he has a decision to make.
    I believe we were throwing everything at Greg Marshall when UT and MSU landed Barnes and Howland respectively. I was hoping for Barnes myself.

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 4Q Basket Case View Post

Alabama isn't a basketball or a men's multi sport school (unless you count golf). I think Alabama is probably the 5th to 7th best job in the SEC, and the Marshall fiasco proved that. I'm not convinced firing Johnson will magically put us back into a Newton, Sanderson, or Gottfried era.
    "Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

Hannibal

Super Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    Alabama isn't a basketball or a men's multi sport school (unless you count golf). I think Alabama is probably the 5th to 7th best job in the SEC, and the Marshall fiasco proved that. I'm not convinced firing Johnson will magically put us back into a Newton, Sanderson, or Gottfried era.
    There is no promise that a change will lift the Tide. It could get worse, that's true. It's also true Bama is currently a 2nd rate school in men's BB, but traditionally until 1992 or so it was 2nd only behind Kentucky.

It's a good thing I'm not making the decisions but I would put on a full court press for the best coach I could persuade with $$$, facility upgrades, and full support.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

BamaNation First Team bvandegraff's Avatar

And Marshall's not exactly lighting it up at Wichita State anymore.....unless you can land Coach K, hiring a CBB coach seems to be a complete and total crapshoot these days.

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NationalTitles17 View Post
    There is no promise that a change will lift the Tide. It could get worse, that's true. It's also true Bama is currently a 2nd rate school in men's BB, but traditionally until 1992 or so it was 2nd only behind Kentucky.

It's a good thing I'm not making the decisions but I would put on a full court press for the best coach I could persuade with $$$, facility upgrades, and full support.
    My thing is we've seen the commitment Alabama has to basketball and baseball since CNS got on campus. We've also saw what can happen when fans start calling for coaches heads in those sports. Once baseball "fired" Gaspard we hired a guy that we had to fire after one year because he had the NCAA sniffing around our campus and started to make threats about scholarship. Its what when you aren't very committed to success in those sports.

I just don't think constantly firing coaches because they aren't up to Newton, Wells, and Wimps levels to success isn't doing us any favors, and could potentially hurt us even worse at other sports.
    "Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

Hannibal