Game Thread: OFFICIAL POSTGAME THREAD - Bama v. LSU... - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    BamaNation All-American Mystical's Avatar

Re: OFFICIAL POSTGAME THREAD - Bama v. LSU...

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    Baseball has slipped for different reasons, some outside the AD’s hands. Basketball has slipped to a big degree because there is a small number of coaches that want to play second fiddle to football and even fewer that want to play in an arena like Coleman.

I think if you are being honest then you would put Florida, LSU, and Auburn up as better jobs than Alabama. But a lot of Alabama fans just want to continue to say “ we are the 2nd best program in SEC history so we need to show it in the trophy case”. We aren’t that program anymore and probably won’t ever be that program when everything is geared towards one direction in the AD.
    We can do it just have to show a financial commitment to basketball. Not talking about coaching in that commitment.
    WHERE EVER YOU GO, YOU TAKE YOURSELF WITH YOU

BamaNation First Team

Auburn and Ole Miss have built new arenas. The excuses for Bama not doing so have worn quite thin and are a joke. It's the football eccentric boosters who want basically every spare dollar to go to football. They simply do not care about the basketball program.
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Q Basket Case View Post
    Looking back, our big successes in basketball have often come at times when the football team was off a bit. Exception being in the mid-70s under CM Newton, while Bryant was in the middle of his second heyday.

But we've been successful at the national level in softball, gymnastics and most recently golf. There's no reason we can't be successful in basketball as well. I agree that facilities are an issue, though. Personally, I'd rather scrape the Coliseum and build something else entirely -- probably in the 10,000 capacity range.

Interesting side note: Memorial Coliseum pushing twice as old today, as Foster Auditorium was when it was replaced by Memorial. Foster was built in 1939, and replaced by the Coliseum in 1968, 29 years later. Acknowledging a couple of major renovations, Memorial is now over 50 years old.

But I'm told that the difference between gutting the existing building and replacing it entirely is about $50MM. A big number, even for Alabama.

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical View Post
    We can do it just have to show a financial commitment to basketball. Not talking about coaching in that commitment.
    Itís kinda funny that Auburn went from mediocre at best in basketball and baseball to NCAA tournament players in both. The script for us will never change because Bama cares about only one menís sport.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    Baseball has slipped for different reasons, some outside the ADís hands. Basketball has slipped to a big degree because there is a small number of coaches that want to play second fiddle to football and even fewer that want to play in an arena like Coleman.

I think if you are being honest then you would put Florida, LSU, and Auburn up as better jobs than Alabama. But a lot of Alabama fans just want to continue to say ď we are the 2nd best program in SEC history so we need to show it in the trophy caseĒ. We arenít that program anymore and probably wonít ever be that program when everything is geared towards one direction in the AD.
    I agree that right now there are several jobs in the SEC better than Alabama but that is not the point. If that is the measuring stick then I would submit that there were several better jobs in the SEC than Alabama when Nick Saban took over. Florida was nothing in basketball until the mid 90's after they hired Lon Kruger. Before that they really had not done anything to write home about and even then it was until Donovan got there that they were able to truly sustain that success. But history matters in football and basketball and it has been proven that Alabama can have a long-term successful basketball program. We probably agree on more than we disagree on and I'm sure we both agree that the AD needs to make a serious commitment to basketball if we want to get back to where we once were.

BamaNation All-American

Byrne spoke at the tipoff club. It would be 75 million difference in cost, but I agree. He said that the economic reality is that they spent 40 million on baseball and the debt service is too much. Nevermind that they want to spend 200 million on footbal and reduce the seating cpapcity. I have been an advovate for a new arena for years. The people i talk to also beleive a new arena is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by imauafan View Post
    I agree that right now there are several jobs in the SEC better than Alabama but that is not the point. If that is the measuring stick then I would submit that there were several better jobs in the SEC than Alabama when Nick Saban took over. Florida was nothing in basketball until the mid 90's after they hired Lon Kruger. Before that they really had not done anything to write home about and even then it was until Donovan got there that they were able to truly sustain that success. But history matters in football and basketball and it has been proven that Alabama can have a long-term successful basketball program. We probably agree on more than we disagree on and I'm sure we both agree that the AD needs to make a serious commitment to basketball if we want to get back to where we once were.
    Agreed with this add:

Auburn might* be perceived as a better job right now simply because they have a new arena and a slimy side show barker for a head coach.

In the history of Auburn menís basketball, there have been 11 seasons in which they had 20 wins or more, including this year. Pearl has two and Sonny Smith several others. That is it.

Alabama has far more NCAA tournament bids (20 to 8) and each has made the same number of Elite Eights (1).

Historically, as a basketball program, Auburn canít carry Alabamaís water.

I like CAJ but I donít believe his style translates well to the college game. I donít have the feeling that any of his four teams have had much of a ďteamĒ concept.

And I canít agree more that Byrne and this administration need to decide whether we want to get back where we were historically as a program or wallow around as a ďmiddle of the packĒ program. As someone that loves Alabama basketball, this past season has been hard to watch.

BamaNation Hall of Fame cuda.1973's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    Auburn might* be perceived as a better job right now simply because they have a new arena and a slimy side show barker for a head coach.
    That is being unkind to the slimy side show barkers of the world.

(Probably does not need to be in blue font.)
    "I hate morning people.
    And mornings.

And people!"