Amazing stat (fact) on season record through 29 games. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Amazing stat (fact) on season record through 29 games.

Quote Originally Posted by ReturnToGlory View Post
    Yeah. The conference is so much better the last two years than it was during the Grant era It was kinda embarrassing to be quite honest.
    Right. Iím not saying Avery is doing a great job, but letís be real when making comparisons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation Hall of Fame rolltide_21's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    If youíre going to make that comparison, you have to acknowledge the difference in the conference. Grant went 12-4 in his second season and didnít go to the tournament because the conference was so weak the record didnít make up for bad OOC losses.

Good point. That was an NCAA tournament caliber team. Went to the NIT finals & lost to Colorado. I think we got snubbed but like you pointed out the conference was so weak it didnít matter. The SEC was a 2 bid league then-UK & UF.

Quote Originally Posted by rolltide_21 View Post
    Good point. That was an NCAA tournament caliber team. Went to the NIT finals & lost to Colorado. I think we got snubbed but like you pointed out the conference was so weak it didnít matter. The SEC was a 2 bid league then-UK & UF.

Itís just semantics, but we beat Colorado in the NIT final 4. Trever Releford hit a shot near the buzzer. We then got beat Wichita St in the Championship game.

I felt like we were a tournament team that year, but that was the squad that went to the Bahamas and laid an egg. We lost to St Peters in that tourney.

We were better than at least 5 of the at large bid teams, but did not have good ďnumbersĒ on our resume.

I really feel like Grant got away from what his teams did best, which was press and get up and down the floor. He also lost out on a couple of big time recruits that we should have had because of his refusal to recruit the AAU circuit.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonForce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Right. I’m not saying Avery is doing a great job, but let’s be real when making comparisons.

But shouldn't Avery / Alabama also benefit from the league being better? More exposure, resources etc. for all teams in the league. IOW, not sure I get the reasoning that the league as a whole has improved since Avery's first season but Alabama hasn't. He's had 4 years to catch up with the improved league and has been stagnant..

BamaNation All-American ReturnToGlory's Avatar

I think we have improved from year 1. Put it like this......if we had not improved any since year 1, we would probably be in the bottom 4 in this league. However, we haven't improved as much as I think we should. Had coaches and players done what they should, we'd probably be in 4th spot in SEC and firmly in NCAAs right now.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonForce's Avatar

I think we have improved from year 1. Put it like this......if we had not improved any since year 1, we would probably be in the bottom 4 in this league. However, we haven't improved as much as I think we should. Had coaches and players done what they should, we'd probably be in 4th spot in SEC and firmly in NCAAs right now.
    That's about where we'll be if we drop the next 2 games against AU and Arkansas..

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMike05 View Post
    It’s just semantics, but we beat Colorado in the NIT final 4. Trever Releford hit a shot near the buzzer. We then got beat Wichita St in the Championship game.

I felt like we were a tournament team that year, but that was the squad that went to the Bahamas and laid an egg. We lost to St Peters in that tourney.

We were better than at least 5 of the at large bid teams, but did not have good “numbers” on our resume.

I really feel like Grant got away from what his teams did best, which was press and get up and down the floor. He also lost out on a couple of big time recruits that we should have had because of his refusal to recruit the AAU circuit.

Wasn't that the team that beat UGA twice in less than a week and they got an invite to the tourney and we did not? I believe our overall as well as SEC record was better than theirs. They got in only because they had played a better OOC schedule than we had. I'm still steamed about that because we were playing well and with the right draw could have been a sweet 16 team that year.

Quote Originally Posted by imauafan View Post
    Wasn't that the team that beat UGA twice in less than a week and they got an invite to the tourney and we did not? I believe our overall as well as SEC record was better than theirs. They got in only because they had played a better OOC schedule than we had. I'm still steamed about that because we were playing well and with the right draw could have been a sweet 16 team that year.
    That is correct. I was so mad on Selection Sunday about that. I firmly believe that we would have made a run. I felt like we should have been in as at least a 10 seed that year. That was a team that finally figured things out right before conference play started.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonForce View Post
    But shouldn't Avery / Alabama also benefit from the league being better? More exposure, resources etc. for all teams in the league. IOW, not sure I get the reasoning that the league as a whole has improved since Avery's first season but Alabama hasn't. He's had 4 years to catch up with the improved league and has been stagnant..
    I'm not disagreeing with any of that.

The post I replied to was trying to equate what Grant did to Avery. If Anthony Grant did what Avery is doing against weaker competition, how is that an equal comparison? That was the point of my post.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation First Team RammaJamma10's Avatar

If "Avery has to go", then I'd like to see names of who we think would actually come to Bama? Cause if it's going to just be the same, then what is the point? Avery isn't turning it over out there and missing shots.

BamaNation First Team Tides_of_Change's Avatar

I think the larger issue between both is that this program would annually be a Sweet 16/Final Four contender if games were only 32 minutues long.

I'm only sort of kidding when I say a sports psychologist on the bench would help more than any coaching changes/additions... Preferably with a couch and a lamp.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

BamaNation First Team Tides_of_Change's Avatar

This. I like to track us especially in comparison to programs who made coaching changes when we did: Tennessee, Miss St and Fla, and to a lesser extent just before or after we did: Auburn and more recently LSU. We would be towards if not at the end of that list.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

BamaNation All-American

Avery is still an upgrade over CMG and CAG although not to level we expected. Avery is in his 4th year but we still have Norris and Hall, both Grant recruits, in the starting lineup. Also, I remember how excited we were when he signed Ingram, his first signee, who it appears that even CAJ has told him to move on since he was a RSJr participating in senior day.

So to me it still doesn't appear that CAJ's pedigree has translated into recruiting prowess in building a roster. Sure we got Sexton but you cant build a team with one and done and if you only have 1 it doesn't help a whole lot.

What you need is guys like petty and Lewis to exhaust their eligibility to get stronger and work on all phases of their game to go long with some young and upcoming talent.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk