Amazing stat (fact) on season record through 29 games. - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    BamaNation Hall of Fame cuda.1973's Avatar

Re: Amazing stat (fact) on season record through 29 games.

Quote Originally Posted by JDCrimson View Post
    Also, I remember how excited we were when he signed Ingram, his first signee, who it appears that even CAJ has told him to move on since he was a RSJr participating in senior day.
    Not true. CAJ said everyone who has earned their degree also participates in Senior Day. Just like Riley Norris did last year. And this year.
    "I hate morning people.
    And mornings.

And people!"

Avery is still an upgrade over CMG and CAG although not to level we expected. Avery is in his 4th year but we still have Norris and Hall, both Grant recruits, in the starting lineup. Also, I remember how excited we were when he signed Ingram, his first signee, who it appears that even CAJ has told him to move on since he was a RSJr participating in senior day.

So to me it still doesn't appear that CAJ's pedigree has translated into recruiting prowess in building a roster. Sure we got Sexton but you cant build a team with one and done and if you only have 1 it doesn't help a whole lot.

What you need is guys like petty and Lewis to exhaust their eligibility to get stronger and work on all phases of their game to go long with some young and upcoming talent.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    If you're going to say Donta was a Grant recruit, you have to say the same of Dazon. They both were in the 2015 class. Matter of fact, Dazon committed to Grant and backed out after his firing. Avery had to visit him to get him back on board.

Kira Lewis isn't exhausting his eligibility. He'll be back next year because he can't go pro, but he's gone to the NBA after that.

Let's look at Avery's recruiting thus far:

Arthur Edwards - grad transfer

Braxton Key
    Ar'Mond Davis (JUCO)
    Corban Collins - grad transfer
    AJ Jr. - transfer
    Daniel Giddens - transfer
    Bola Olaniyan - grad transfer

Collin Sexton
    John Petty
    Alex Reese
    Herbert Jones
    Galin Smith
    Tevin Mack - transfer

Kira Lewis
    Diante Wood
    Javian Davis-Fleming

Juwan Gary
    Jaylen Forbes
    Jaden Shackelford

The 2016 class appears to have been a mistake with two grad transfers and two transfers rather than getting a few recruits for the long term. If that happens, one hopes there are a few more experienced vets on the team like Donta and Riley.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation All-American

Cecil Hurt tweeted that Ingram and Giddens participating in Senior day likely indicates they will be moving on. Norris got a somewhat unexpected medical redshirt and we still had a scholarship available so I don't think we can compare his situation with that of Ingram and Giddens. What we need is legitimate big men so we can have a consistent presence around the basket. We've got bodies just no dominate player inside. These hybrid kids are great, but there is no substitute for say an Erwin Dudley inside.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Maybe somebody else asked it, but what coach would be worth the risk of firing Avery?

Unless Byrne know the direction he'd go would it be worth us going on another search to maybe only end up getting someone about the same and in the meantime having to rebuild recruiting connections?

This is likely how most SEC football schools (other than Bama) feel about making a coaching change when they are basically winning at a .500 clip. It's not like the "best coaches in NCAA basketball" are lining up to coach at Bama.

So who's the "wow" guy that we be worth starting over for?

Amazing stat (fact) on season record through 29 games.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    Maybe somebody else asked it, but what coach would be worth the risk of firing Avery?

Unless Byrne know the direction he'd go would it be worth us going on another search to maybe only end up getting someone about the same and in the meantime having to rebuild recruiting connections?

This is likely how most SEC football schools (other than Bama) feel about making a coaching change when they are basically winning at a .500 clip. It's not like the "best coaches in NCAA basketball" are lining up to coach at Bama.

So who's the "wow" guy that we be worth starting over for?
    This is just my opinion and also a gut feeling that I have. I think that Avery leaves on his own this year. I think he has a legitimate shot at the Pelicans GM job.

With that said, the few guys that would be top on my list would be:

1) Hoiberg
    2) Wojo
    3) Mick Cronin

After that:

1) Nate Oats (Buffalo)
    2) Steve Alford
    3) Andy Kennedy

3rd Level:

1) Steve Prohm
    2) Roy Rogers
    3) Bob D’Antoni (just kidding on this one, but the teams would be fun to watch)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BamaMike05; March 5th, 2019 at 12:13 PM.

Avery is still an upgrade over CMG and CAG although not to level we expected. Avery is in his 4th year but we still have Norris and Hall, both Grant recruits, in the starting lineup. Also, I remember how excited we were when he signed Ingram, his first signee, who it appears that even CAJ has told him to move on since he was a RSJr participating in senior day.

So to me it still doesn't appear that CAJ's pedigree has translated into recruiting prowess in building a roster. Sure we got Sexton but you cant build a team with one and done and if you only have 1 it doesn't help a whole lot.

What you need is guys like petty and Lewis to exhaust their eligibility to get stronger and work on all phases of their game to go long with some young and upcoming talent.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    And the problem is that whatever "bump" we should have received from that is pretty much over, now that recruits have had several years to observe...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation All-American

We may need to turn to juco for a big next year. We'll be in dire need of bigs.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Rama Jama View Post
    We may need to turn to juco for a big next year. We'll be in dire need of bigs.
    We also need a backup PG. We have too many SG/SF type of players but the only PG on next years roster is Kira.

Quote Originally Posted by imauafan View Post
    We also need a backup PG. We have too many SG/SF type of players but the only PG on next years roster is Kira.
    And no legit SEC-quality post player. "Positionless" or not, you need those two to compete...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    And no legit SEC-quality post player. "Positionless" or not, you need those two to compete...
    I think we a legitimate one in Javian Fleming. He’s pretty skilled around the basket. He just got injured in preseason and now is just redshirting. Even with “positionless” you still have to have “big” and “skilled” lol

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    Agreed. I'm concerned about next year.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMike05 View Post
    I think we a legitimate one in Javian Fleming. He’s pretty skilled around the basket. He just got injured in preseason and now is just redshirting. Even with “positionless” you still have to have “big” and “skilled” lol

I knew Wood was injured but I didn't know that Fleming was injured. There was talk a few weeks ago that he might get some playing time but that never happened. I believe it was the Missouri game that rumor started.