Amazing stat (fact) on season record through 29 games.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
Cecil posted an article on this this morning. Anthony Grant was also 17-12 his final season with the team, so that’s 5 years in a row with the same record.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whatever happened to SEC home court advantage and a little Tide pride? Grant was 43-8(.843) in SEC home games. In 3 of his 6 seasons he was undefeated at home in SEC play. He only lost more than 2 such games once, 4-4 in his 1st season. Johnson has lost 3 or more such games every year. His overall home SEC record is a pathetic 21-14(.600). Nuff said. Johnson got to go.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Whatever happened to SEC home court advantage and a little Tide pride? Grant was 43-8(.843) in SEC home games. In 3 of his 6 seasons he was undefeated at home in SEC play. He only lost more than 2 such games once, 4-4 in his 1st season. Johnson has lost 3 or more such games every year. His overall home SEC record is a pathetic 21-14(.600). Nuff said. Johnson got to go.
If you’re going to make that comparison, you have to acknowledge the difference in the conference. Grant went 12-4 in his second season and didn’t go to the tournament because the conference was so weak the record didn’t make up for bad OOC losses.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
An .843 WP in home SEC games to a .600 WP, is far to great of a difference to blame on conference strength.
Anthony Grant had six ranked SEC opponents at home. He went 2-4.

Avery has played 12 ranked SEC teams at home. He's 8-4.

He's played twice as many in one less season. I would say conference strength matters plenty when making a comparison.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
12-4 in the regular season, and 1-1 in the SECT.

Conference schedule increased to 18 games after the expansion.

Oops. I was counting up the 2012-13 season; Grant's 4th when he went 12-6 in conference. Bama also went NIT.

Now I need to add an edit...I'll just delete...

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Yeah. The conference is so much better the last two years than it was during the Grant era It was kinda embarrassing to be quite honest.
Right. I’m not saying Avery is doing a great job, but let’s be real when making comparisons.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
If you’re going to make that comparison, you have to acknowledge the difference in the conference. Grant went 12-4 in his second season and didn’t go to the tournament because the conference was so weak the record didn’t make up for bad OOC losses.

Good point. That was an NCAA tournament caliber team. Went to the NIT finals & lost to Colorado. I think we got snubbed but like you pointed out the conference was so weak it didn’t matter. The SEC was a 2 bid league then-UK & UF.

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
Good point. That was an NCAA tournament caliber team. Went to the NIT finals & lost to Colorado. I think we got snubbed but like you pointed out the conference was so weak it didn’t matter. The SEC was a 2 bid league then-UK & UF.

It’s just semantics, but we beat Colorado in the NIT final 4. Trever Releford hit a shot near the buzzer. We then got beat Wichita St in the Championship game.

I felt like we were a tournament team that year, but that was the squad that went to the Bahamas and laid an egg. We lost to St Peters in that tourney.

We were better than at least 5 of the at large bid teams, but did not have good “numbers” on our resume.

I really feel like Grant got away from what his teams did best, which was press and get up and down the floor. He also lost out on a couple of big time recruits that we should have had because of his refusal to recruit the AAU circuit.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Right. I’m not saying Avery is doing a great job, but let’s be real when making comparisons.

But shouldn't Avery / Alabama also benefit from the league being better? More exposure, resources etc. for all teams in the league. IOW, not sure I get the reasoning that the league as a whole has improved since Avery's first season but Alabama hasn't. He's had 4 years to catch up with the improved league and has been stagnant..

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
I think we have improved from year 1. Put it like this......if we had not improved any since year 1, we would probably be in the bottom 4 in this league. However, we haven't improved as much as I think we should. Had coaches and players done what they should, we'd probably be in 4th spot in SEC and firmly in NCAAs right now.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I think we have improved from year 1. Put it like this......if we had not improved any since year 1, we would probably be in the bottom 4 in this league. However, we haven't improved as much as I think we should. Had coaches and players done what they should, we'd probably be in 4th spot in SEC and firmly in NCAAs right now.
That's about where we'll be if we drop the next 2 games against AU and Arkansas..

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
It’s just semantics, but we beat Colorado in the NIT final 4. Trever Releford hit a shot near the buzzer. We then got beat Wichita St in the Championship game.

I felt like we were a tournament team that year, but that was the squad that went to the Bahamas and laid an egg. We lost to St Peters in that tourney.

We were better than at least 5 of the at large bid teams, but did not have good “numbers” on our resume.

I really feel like Grant got away from what his teams did best, which was press and get up and down the floor. He also lost out on a couple of big time recruits that we should have had because of his refusal to recruit the AAU circuit.

Wasn't that the team that beat UGA twice in less than a week and they got an invite to the tourney and we did not? I believe our overall as well as SEC record was better than theirs. They got in only because they had played a better OOC schedule than we had. I'm still steamed about that because we were playing well and with the right draw could have been a sweet 16 team that year.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.