Amazing stat (fact) on season record through 29 games.

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
Wasn't that the team that beat UGA twice in less than a week and they got an invite to the tourney and we did not? I believe our overall as well as SEC record was better than theirs. They got in only because they had played a better OOC schedule than we had. I'm still steamed about that because we were playing well and with the right draw could have been a sweet 16 team that year.
That is correct. I was so mad on Selection Sunday about that. I firmly believe that we would have made a run. I felt like we should have been in as at least a 10 seed that year. That was a team that finally figured things out right before conference play started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
But shouldn't Avery / Alabama also benefit from the league being better? More exposure, resources etc. for all teams in the league. IOW, not sure I get the reasoning that the league as a whole has improved since Avery's first season but Alabama hasn't. He's had 4 years to catch up with the improved league and has been stagnant..
I'm not disagreeing with any of that.

The post I replied to was trying to equate what Grant did to Avery. If Anthony Grant did what Avery is doing against weaker competition, how is that an equal comparison? That was the point of my post.

RammaJamma10

1st Team
Dec 5, 2006
Harvest, AL
If "Avery has to go", then I'd like to see names of who we think would actually come to Bama? Cause if it's going to just be the same, then what is the point? Avery isn't turning it over out there and missing shots.

Tides_of_Change

1st Team
Sep 27, 2012
I think the larger issue between both is that this program would annually be a Sweet 16/Final Four contender if games were only 32 minutues long.

I'm only sort of kidding when I say a sports psychologist on the bench would help more than any coaching changes/additions... Preferably with a couch and a lamp.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Tides_of_Change

1st Team
Sep 27, 2012
I think we have improved from year 1. Put it like this......if we had not improved any since year 1, we would probably be in the bottom 4 in this league. However, we haven't improved as much as I think we should. Had coaches and players done what they should, we'd probably be in 4th spot in SEC and firmly in NCAAs right now.
This. I like to track us especially in comparison to programs who made coaching changes when we did: Tennessee, Miss St and Fla, and to a lesser extent just before or after we did: Auburn and more recently LSU. We would be towards if not at the end of that list.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Avery is still an upgrade over CMG and CAG although not to level we expected. Avery is in his 4th year but we still have Norris and Hall, both Grant recruits, in the starting lineup. Also, I remember how excited we were when he signed Ingram, his first signee, who it appears that even CAJ has told him to move on since he was a RSJr participating in senior day.

So to me it still doesn't appear that CAJ's pedigree has translated into recruiting prowess in building a roster. Sure we got Sexton but you cant build a team with one and done and if you only have 1 it doesn't help a whole lot.

What you need is guys like petty and Lewis to exhaust their eligibility to get stronger and work on all phases of their game to go long with some young and upcoming talent.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Also, I remember how excited we were when he signed Ingram, his first signee, who it appears that even CAJ has told him to move on since he was a RSJr participating in senior day.
Not true. CAJ said everyone who has earned their degree also participates in Senior Day. Just like Riley Norris did last year. And this year.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Avery is still an upgrade over CMG and CAG although not to level we expected. Avery is in his 4th year but we still have Norris and Hall, both Grant recruits, in the starting lineup. Also, I remember how excited we were when he signed Ingram, his first signee, who it appears that even CAJ has told him to move on since he was a RSJr participating in senior day.

So to me it still doesn't appear that CAJ's pedigree has translated into recruiting prowess in building a roster. Sure we got Sexton but you cant build a team with one and done and if you only have 1 it doesn't help a whole lot.

What you need is guys like petty and Lewis to exhaust their eligibility to get stronger and work on all phases of their game to go long with some young and upcoming talent.

If you're going to say Donta was a Grant recruit, you have to say the same of Dazon. They both were in the 2015 class. Matter of fact, Dazon committed to Grant and backed out after his firing. Avery had to visit him to get him back on board.

Kira Lewis isn't exhausting his eligibility. He'll be back next year because he can't go pro, but he's gone to the NBA after that.

Let's look at Avery's recruiting thus far:

Arthur Edwards - grad transfer

Braxton Key
Ar'Mond Davis (JUCO)
Corban Collins - grad transfer
AJ Jr. - transfer
Daniel Giddens - transfer
Bola Olaniyan - grad transfer

Collin Sexton
John Petty
Alex Reese
Herbert Jones
Galin Smith
Tevin Mack - transfer

Kira Lewis
Diante Wood
Javian Davis-Fleming

Juwan Gary
Jaylen Forbes
Jaden Shackelford

The 2016 class appears to have been a mistake with two grad transfers and two transfers rather than getting a few recruits for the long term. If that happens, one hopes there are a few more experienced vets on the team like Donta and Riley.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Cecil Hurt tweeted that Ingram and Giddens participating in Senior day likely indicates they will be moving on. Norris got a somewhat unexpected medical redshirt and we still had a scholarship available so I don't think we can compare his situation with that of Ingram and Giddens. What we need is legitimate big men so we can have a consistent presence around the basket. We've got bodies just no dominate player inside. These hybrid kids are great, but there is no substitute for say an Erwin Dudley inside.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Maybe somebody else asked it, but what coach would be worth the risk of firing Avery?

Unless Byrne know the direction he'd go would it be worth us going on another search to maybe only end up getting someone about the same and in the meantime having to rebuild recruiting connections?

This is likely how most SEC football schools (other than Bama) feel about making a coaching change when they are basically winning at a .500 clip. It's not like the "best coaches in NCAA basketball" are lining up to coach at Bama.

So who's the "wow" guy that we be worth starting over for?

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Maybe somebody else asked it, but what coach would be worth the risk of firing Avery?

Unless Byrne know the direction he'd go would it be worth us going on another search to maybe only end up getting someone about the same and in the meantime having to rebuild recruiting connections?

This is likely how most SEC football schools (other than Bama) feel about making a coaching change when they are basically winning at a .500 clip. It's not like the "best coaches in NCAA basketball" are lining up to coach at Bama.

So who's the "wow" guy that we be worth starting over for?
This is just my opinion and also a gut feeling that I have. I think that Avery leaves on his own this year. I think he has a legitimate shot at the Pelicans GM job.

With that said, the few guys that would be top on my list would be:

1) Hoiberg
2) Wojo
3) Mick Cronin

After that:

1) Nate Oats (Buffalo)
2) Steve Alford
3) Andy Kennedy

3rd Level:

1) Steve Prohm
2) Roy Rogers
3) Bob D’Antoni (just kidding on this one, but the teams would be fun to watch)

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

And the problem is that whatever "bump" we should have received from that is pretty much over, now that recruits have had several years to observe...

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
And no legit SEC-quality post player. "Positionless" or not, you need those two to compete...
I think we a legitimate one in Javian Fleming. He’s pretty skilled around the basket. He just got injured in preseason and now is just redshirting. Even with “positionless” you still have to have “big” and “skilled” lol

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I think we a legitimate one in Javian Fleming. He’s pretty skilled around the basket. He just got injured in preseason and now is just redshirting. Even with “positionless” you still have to have “big” and “skilled” lol

I knew Wood was injured but I didn't know that Fleming was injured. There was talk a few weeks ago that he might get some playing time but that never happened. I believe it was the Missouri game that rumor started.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.