Politics: Proposed gas tax for Alabama

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
And when brought before the Alabama SC, the ruling was “we’re going to wait and let SCOTUS decide” (obvious exception being Moore).

Thus, the licenses were still given. There are probate judges in the state that aren’t issuing licenses because of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Because suddenly people feel government shouldn’t be involved in marriage. I am sure this is a long held belief held by many and has nothing to do with gays being allowed to marry. They just never expressed their opposition to state sponsored marriage in my presence.

Getting back on track, the gas tax has been signed into law. People are upset. However, I predict the vast majority of the ones who voted for the tax will be re-elected in 2022, along with Ivey if she runs again.

The people upset need to put together a coalition of candidates to run in every House and Senate district on a platform of repealing the gas tax and instituting term limits and have a gubernatorial candidate to run with them.

But that would require actually doing something. Much easier to gripe on Facebook.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Because suddenly people feel government shouldn’t be involved in marriage. I am sure this is a long held belief held by many and has nothing to do with gays being allowed to marry. They just never expressed their opposition to state sponsored marriage in my presence.

Getting back on track, the gas tax has been signed into law. People are upset. However, I predict the vast majority of the ones who voted for the tax will be re-elected in 2022, along with Ivey if she runs again.

The people upset need to put together a coalition of candidates to run in every House and Senate district on a platform of repealing the gas tax and instituting term limits and have a gubernatorial candidate to run with them.

But that would require actually doing something. Much easier to gripe on Facebook.

In 2022, very few will remember this, but good luck with that plan.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
In 2022, very few will remember this, but good luck with that plan.
I was just throwing it out there. I really don’t have a big problem with the tax increase. I know it won’t be used wisely 100%, but the roads do need help.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I was just throwing it out there. I really don’t have a big problem with the tax increase. I know it won’t be used wisely 100%, but the roads do need help.

There are other, more important, matters which need that kind of effort...

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
What Else Haven't You Told Us, Kay Ivey?

[FONT=&quot]“All the freshmen who ran for House and Senate were indeed briefed on the need for an infrastructure bill well before they were elected,” Ivey said. “And they were vetted by the House and Senate leadership, and if they were not for increasing the gas tax for infrastructure, they were not encouraged to run.”[/FONT]
Just as Bentley said that the state's finances were great until after the election...except of course, with some added conspiracy.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
If this was just a gas tax with a cap, I'd personally wouldn't have a problem with it. However, the tax increase has no cap, it punishes those with electric or hybrid vehicles (and threatens those that would consider buying one), and increased all vehicle registrations. I do not dispute that the roads need to be fixed; I dispute the avenue in which the state government undertook to make the tax happen. This is why Ivey didn't debate in the primary or the governor's election: she didn't want to face the questioning (or her supporters in government didn't want her to...), and lo and behold, we have ourselves an escalating tax. Like Whitemire said, what else is she not telling us?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
If this was just a gas tax with a cap, I'd personally wouldn't have a problem with it. However, the tax increase has no cap, it punishes those with electric or hybrid vehicles (and threatens those that would consider buying one), and increased all vehicle registrations. I do not dispute that the roads need to be fixed; I dispute the avenue in which the state government undertook to make the tax happen. This is why Ivey didn't debate in the primary or the governor's election: she didn't want to face the questioning (or her supporters in government didn't want her to...), and lo and behold, we have ourselves an escalating tax. Like Whitemire said, what else is she not telling us?
Is this what you mean about the vehicle registration increase?

https://twitter.com/sonnybrasfield/status/1104946953304133633?s=21

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The point is that she avoided the topic--along with everything else--during the campaign.
I won't argue against her lack of debating, but Whitmire is wrong in his column implying she hid from the issue all together when the tweet he referenced from Bryan Taylor included the article I linked last night.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
So there’s a radio show host in B’ham, Leland Whaley, that is putting thank you notes to his Representatives in the form of a sticky note, on gas pumps he frequents. He has pics on his Leland Live Facebook page.

Islander

1st Team
Jul 18, 2008
Hoover or Dauphin Island
I won't argue against her lack of debating, but Whitmire is wrong in his column implying she hid from the issue all together when the tweet he referenced from Bryan Taylor included the article I linked last night.
The point is that she hid the issue from the public, who would have questioned candidates during the election.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I have a few friends that drive to work from Decatur to Huntsville every morning. I asked them how they deal with getting there on time since the interstate chokes down to stop & go every day. They all said their employers don't expect them there at a certain time but give them a 30 or 45 minute window to check in, depending on the traffic issues each day.

Our area is excited about a new car factory but it's going to be located in what is already a very congested segment of highway.

Ivey evidently knew her voters very well. Too hardheaded to do something for their own benefit if it violates Grover Norquist's rule, Ivey realized she would have to trick them into voting for her by avoiding debating issues that were of significant importance. Kind of the way someone goes about making adult decisions for children.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I have a few friends that drive to work from Decatur to Huntsville every morning. I asked them how they deal with getting there on time since the interstate chokes down to stop & go every day. They all said their employers don't expect them there at a certain time but give them a 30 or 45 minute window to check in, depending on the traffic issues each day.

Our area is excited about a new car factory but it's going to be located in what is already a very congested segment of highway.

Ivey evidently knew her voters very well. Too hardheaded to do something for their own benefit if it violates Grover Norquist's rule, Ivey realized she would have to trick them into voting for her by avoiding debating issues that were of significant importance. Kind of the way someone goes about making adult decisions for children.
I do wish she had debated just because it's good for the voters and the overall system.

Judging by the attendees at one of her press conference, I'm pretty sure this bill happens no matter who won.

Walt Maddox, Tommy Battle join Kay Ivey in support of Alabama fuel tax

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Looks like this issue was high on GKI's agenda...

Governor Ivey Announces Huntsville Projects Selected for Rebuild Alabama First Year Plan

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I don't understand why these taxes aren't set up as a floored minimum amount per gallon - to protect against the off-chance of a collapse in crude oil prices - but otherwise it is calculated as a percentage of the presale amount such as sales tax on other goods and services. As it stands this fixed amount extra will not be enough in a few years and it will be hard to pass the changes needed to fund critical functions.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I don't understand why these taxes aren't set up as a floored minimum amount per gallon - to protect against the off-chance of a collapse in crude oil prices - but otherwise it is calculated as a percentage of the presale amount such as sales tax on other goods and services. As it stands this fixed amount extra will not be enough in a few years and it will be hard to pass the changes needed to fund critical functions.
I'm confused. Seems like you're saying you want the tax to be a flat amount, which it is. There's no percentage on it like other goods. The amount will be enough in a few years because of the index.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.