Question For My Blue Friends: Why All The Deference to Ocasio-Cortez?

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Similar to what I hear from the left about Rush or whoever. I never hear about Rush from the conservatives I know; it's always from the left. I haven't known where on the dial to find his program in probably 10 years.
I don't hear about Rush from anybody and haven't really in years left or right. I'm hearing often about Hannity now since he is basically co-chief of staff of this whitehouse (and that should scare everyone equally)

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
I guess some people are so sensitive they find the truth belittling. I also don't look to bartenders for medical advice, investment advice, parenting advice, or much of anything else. Apologies to any bartenders I may have offended.
Helpful hint: She's not a bartender. Just I'm not a dishwasher or fry cook and you're not a paperboy or whatever you were.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
My problem with her is that she is bending facts sometimes, just like Trump does.

She celebrated Amazon backing out of NY because, according to her, "we could invest those $3 billion in our district, ourselves, if we wanted to. We could hire out more teachers. We can fix our subways. We can put a lot of people to work for that amount of money if we wanted to."

Problem is that her district wasn't giving Amazon $3B, it was tax incentives to get Amazon to come. It was't a cash handout, it was tax savings but, she tried to paint it like now they have all this extra money. She actually cost the city $27B in tax revenue according to NY Mayor Blasio, "the Amazon deal would have produced $27 billion in new tax revenue to fuel priorities from transit to affordable housing — a nine-fold return on the taxes the city and state were prepared to forgo to win the headquarters.”

Then there was this back in December: https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...tezs-trillion-mistake/?utm_term=.fe9fc1adabc5

I guess if it's okay for Trump, then it's okay for everyone. Problem is, playing his game will only help get him re-elected.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
While I don't agree with many of the ideas she espouses, I'd be happy to listen to anything she has to present. I'd much rather have someone on fire with fresh ideas - even if I believe they're wrong - than listen to some career politician pontificate about how their experience somehow helps them understand the issues better, despite their never solving any real issues.
This is exactly how I feel about the situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Right. She was a bartender and now she's a Congresswoman. Sorry you were confused (and apparently oversensitive about it).
Right. And you are asserting that she is a bartender with no degree and no other experience. She's a bartender in the same way that you're a high school student. I'm only oversensitive about pointing out rightly that you were belittling someone that you seem to harbor some obsession with despite totally not caring about her.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
amazing the lengths folks will go to in blaming everyone except the people who actually vote for and support trump for electing trump.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Right. She was a bartender and now she's a Congresswoman. Sorry you were confused (and apparently oversensitive about it).
FWIW, I'm not sure anyone would have cared much about your comment if you hadn't tried to pretend it was a valid criticism instead of what it was, a jab/attempt to belittle her.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Right. And you are asserting that she is a bartender with no degree and no other experience. She's a bartender in the same way that you're a high school student. I'm only oversensitive about pointing out rightly that you were belittling someone that you seem to harbor some obsession with despite totally not caring about her.
LOL! Wow, what pretzeled logic. She has a degree in economics. And experience as a bartender. And now she's in Congress. No relevant experience. But, hey, if you think she great, good for you.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
FWIW, I'm not sure anyone would have cared much about your comment if you hadn't tried to pretend it was a valid criticism instead of what it was, a jab/attempt to belittle her.
I acknowledge these are sensitive times in the tribal lands. BTW, it is a valid criticism. She has no applied economics experience that I'm aware of. My dental hygienist offered me a hot stock tip this past weekend. Should I take it? Or perhaps I should pass in favor of what my investment advisors have to offer?

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
LOL! Wow, what pretzeled logic. She has a degree in economics. And experience as a bartender. And now she's in Congress. No relevant experience. But, hey, if you think she great, good for you.
The pretzel logic here is you trying to pretend that you didn't belittle her when you have repeatedly and continue to do so. She had a part-time job as a bartender (which was not the only job she's had) and you are using that to belittle her. If you'll stop pretending like you're not using that to belittle her then I'll stop calling you on it.

I don't necessarily think she's great. I just think you guys are losing your minds trying to make her into a bogeyman and/or tear her down.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Having trouble with the context thing, I see. You are merging those two posts - one here and the other a retelling of a FB post - into one conversation. Pathetic dishonesty, Charmin.
I'm literally reading your words back to you. But I'm glad you implicitly agree that you were definitely belittling her here.

To be clear: I don't care that you said something mean about AOC, or anyone else. Just don't try to pass it off as anything other than what it was. And you probably shouldn't clutch your pearls when people interpret your insult as an insult.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I acknowledge these are sensitive times in the tribal lands. BTW, it is a valid criticism. She has no applied economics experience that I'm aware of. My dental hygienist offered me a hot stock tip this past weekend. Should I take it? Or perhaps I should pass in favor of what my investment advisors have to offer?
That's not what you originally said though right? You're moving the goal posts.

Calling her a bartender isn't a valid criticism (or even criticism IMO). Its a jab/joke. liberals do it all the time too so its not a big deal but don't pretend that its something else.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I'm literally reading your words back to you. But I'm glad you implicitly agree that you were definitely belittling her here.

To be clear: I don't care that you said something mean about AOC, or anyone else. Just don't try to pass it off as anything other than what it was. And you probably shouldn't clutch your pearls when people interpret your insult as an insult.
that is some pathetic literal reading

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
The pretzel logic here is you trying to pretend that you didn't belittle her when you have repeatedly and continue to do so. She had a part-time job as a bartender (which was not the only job she's had) and you are using that to belittle her. If you'll stop pretending like you're not using that to belittle her then I'll stop calling you on it.
Right. The only job she has had was as a bartender. And now she's in Congress. Cool. Some people might suggest a member of Congress should have a little thicker resume, but that might be offensive.

I don't necessarily think she's great. I just think you guys are losing your minds trying to make her into a bogeyman and/or tear her down.
You guys? I speak only for myself. I have criticized the GOP attacking her as well. Quit being so tribal and understand that there are more than two opinions that are valid.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
The truth is sometimes belittling, especially to the overly sensitive.

To be clear: I don't care that you said something mean about AOC
LOL! You don't care, but you care so much. The only one that wears pearls here is you.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.