Question For My Blue Friends: Why All The Deference to Ocasio-Cortez?

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
The only job she has had was as a bartender.
Not quite accurate, again.

"After college, Ocasio-Cortez moved back to the Bronx and found work as an educational director. Following the death of her father, she took on an additional job working as a bartender and waitress to help her mother—a house cleaner and school-bus driver—fight foreclosure of their home. Ocasio-Cortez later launched Brook Avenue Press, a publishing firm for books that portray the Bronx in a positive light. She worked as lead educational strategist at GAGEis, Inc. Ocasio-Cortez also worked for the nonprofit National Hispanic Institute, serving as the Educational Director of the 2017 Northeast Collegiate World Series, a five-day long program targeted at college-bound high school students from across the United States and other countries, where she also participated in the panel on the future of Latino leadership. In the 2016 primary, Ocasio-Cortez worked as an organizer for Bernie Sanders's 2016 presidential campaign." - Wikipedia

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
That's not what you originally said though right? You're moving the goal posts.

Calling her a bartender isn't a valid criticism (or even criticism IMO). Its a jab/joke. liberals do it all the time too so its not a big deal but don't pretend that its something else.
I'm not moving goal posts. You seem to want to be offended on her behalf. Whatever floats your boat, dude.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Not quite accurate, again.

"After college, Ocasio-Cortez moved back to the Bronx and found work as an educational director. Following the death of her father, she took on an additional job working as a bartender and waitress to help her mother—a house cleaner and school-bus driver—fight foreclosure of their home. Ocasio-Cortez later launched Brook Avenue Press, a publishing firm for books that portray the Bronx in a positive light. She worked as lead educational strategist at GAGEis, Inc. Ocasio-Cortez also worked for the nonprofit National Hispanic Institute, serving as the Educational Director of the 2017 Northeast Collegiate World Series, a five-day long program targeted at college-bound high school students from across the United States and other countries, where she also participated in the panel on the future of Latino leadership. In the 2016 primary, Ocasio-Cortez worked as an organizer for Bernie Sanders's 2016 presidential campaign." - Wikipedia
I was quoting, Matt

She had a part-time job as a bartender (which was not the only job she's had)
So, you have trouble with the context thing. Again.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Right. The only job she has had was as a bartender. And now she's in Congress. Cool. Some people might suggest a member of Congress should have a little thicker resume, but that might be offensive.
The flailing is pathetic. You know what you're doing and it's sad that you can't just own up to it.

Two seconds on Google would show you that you're incorrect on the job thing that you're using to belittle her. If you had started with your last sentence it wouldn't be belittling. However you are trying to downplay her and make her seem even more unimportant by calling her a bartender. Belittle- make (someone or something) seem unimportant. Just in case you think the word means something different and you think I'm saying that you're making her seem like a midget.

You guys? I speak only for myself. I have criticized the GOP attacking her as well. Quit being so tribal and understand that there are more than two opinions that are valid.
You can speak for yourself all you want but in speaking for yourself you have joined in a chorus of people (hence "you guys") that are attacking her. Maybe if you weren't viewing everything through your everyone is tribal prism you could grasp that concept.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
You mean those aren't all traditional bartender duties?

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
The pretzel logic here is you trying to pretend that you didn't belittle her when you have repeatedly and continue to do so. She had a part-time job as a bartender (which was not the only job she's had) and you are using that to belittle her. If you'll stop pretending like you're not using that to belittle her then I'll stop calling you on it.

I don't necessarily think she's great. I just think you guys are losing your minds trying to make her into a bogeyman and/or tear her down.

Is that symptomatic of those who earlier presented with the Barack-Michelle Obama Derangement Syndrome? Although I believe the BMO Derangement Syndrome did prove to develop into a much more virulent strain.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
So lame spinning your interpretation of what I write or think. So lame. But hey, if that works for you ... you go, Matt!
It doesn't really take spin or an interpretation. It only takes basic reading comprehension to see you belittle someone and then say "hey I didn't belittle them."

Now if you want to either admit ignorance on the subject of her work history (although you threw that option back in Charmin's face a couple of times already) or just admit that you were belitting them then it's all good.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
TO the OP-
The biggest reason she’s gotten so much attention (and so many insults from those who can do nothing else), from the jump, was because she came literally out of nowhere, worked her ass off, didn’t take big PAC money and slaughtered a Dem heavyweight.
That alone brought the spotlight onto her, and since the cons “Pelosi” gambit failed in the recent elections, she’s become the next target.
I’m thinking her bartending days served her well - she takes crap from no one and has no qualms about taking on the jerks straight up.
She’s well spoken, has an air of confidence that comes from believing what you say, and because she has done it all the hard way has earned the respect of many, even some who disagree with her.
Her support is growing and will continue to grow in the future (barring any major calamities). But it’s mostly the cons who want to keep the spotlight on her, away from Trump and his band of Dark Riders in Congress.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.