Question For My Blue Friends: Why All The Deference to Ocasio-Cortez?

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Yet, that's exactly what you do.
I see you've graduated from the "Nuh-uh!" defense to the "I'm rubber you're glue" one. At least it's progress. Maybe in another 10-15 pages we'll be at a slightly more mature level.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
TO the OP-
The biggest reason she’s gotten so much attention (and so many insults from those who can do nothing else), from the jump, was because she came literally out of nowhere, worked her ass off, didn’t take big PAC money and slaughtered a Dem heavyweight.
That alone brought the spotlight onto her, and since the cons “Pelosi” gambit failed in the recent elections, she’s become the next target.
I’m thinking her bartending days served her well - she takes crap from no one and has no qualms about taking on the jerks straight up.
She’s well spoken, has an air of confidence that comes from believing what you say, and because she has done it all the hard way has earned the respect of many, even some who disagree with her.
Her support is growing and will continue to grow in the future (barring any major calamities). But it’s mostly the cons who want to keep the spotlight on her, away from Trump and his band of Dark Riders in Congress.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
they can't function without a boogeyperson

i always felt that waiting tables in college provided me with valuable experience that i carried into my post college work life. it was a good way to learn to deal with responsibility, stress, customer relations, and multi-tasking.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
i always felt that waiting tables in college provided me with valuable experience that i carried into my post college work life. it was a good way to learn to deal with responsibility, stress, customer relations, and multi-tasking.
Kids have to get their start somewhere. And learning how to be responsible, attend to customers, attend to bosses, multi-task ..... all foundational skills.

ETA: And oftentimes these jobs are not enjoyable at all. Understanding that you sometimes have to tough it out until you can qualify for something better is a valuable mindset. Don't feel entitled; earn your way.

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Kids have to get their start somewhere. And learning how to be responsible, attend to customers, attend to bosses, multi-task ..... all foundational skills.

ETA: And oftentimes these jobs are not enjoyable at all. Understanding that you sometimes have to tough it out until you can qualify for something better is a valuable mindset. Don't feel entitled; earn your way.
aoc has done just that. she got out and did the work to introduce herself to the voters in her district and convinced them that she was deserving of their vote. afaict she didn't act entitled to the seat and in fact beat a pretty powerful democratic congressman who was also in the party leadership by a substantial margin.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
aoc has done just that. she got out and did the work to introduce herself to the voters in her district and convinced them that she was deserving of their vote. afaict she didn't act entitled to the seat and in fact beat a pretty powerful democratic congressman who was also in the party leadership by a substantial margin.
Don't disagree with any of that. I would prefer a progression in her work experience on the part of AOC before getting to Congress. IMO there should be more merit to being a national leader than that. But, my Cassandra-complex-criticism applies to nearly every member of Congress and the White House since I've been old enough to pay attention to politics.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
She's literally as far from the 'silver spoon-fed, privately-educated, ivy-league school graduate' that seems to be so common in politics now. She busted her butt to get where she is, no one handed her anything. That's why I say we need people like her.

In a recent thread I (quite seriously) suggested Charmin needed to run for office. Like AOC, I don't think he and I would agree on a lot of ideas wrt politics, but he's an intelligent, compassionate person who wants what's best for people. That's the vibe I get from AOC, and that's what we need in DC - more people wanting to positively impact their constituents lives rather than those who go there for money and power. And as I said - while I might not agree with her ideas to fix things, I'd far rather people like her represent their district than people like, well, almost every other district representative house.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
She's literally as far from the 'silver spoon-fed, privately-educated, ivy-league school graduate' that seems to be so common in politics now. She busted her butt to get where she is, no one handed her anything. That's why I say we need people like her.

In a recent thread I (quite seriously) suggested Charmin needed to run for office. Like AOC, I don't think he and I would agree on a lot of ideas wrt politics, but he's an intelligent, compassionate person who wants what's best for people. That's the vibe I get from AOC, and that's what we need in DC - more people wanting to positively impact their constituents lives rather than those who go there for money and power. And as I said - while I might not agree with her ideas to fix things, I'd far rather people like her represent their district than people like, well, almost every other district representative house.
We don't have enough Ivy League lawyers in Congress.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
My problem with her is that she is bending facts sometimes, just like Trump does.

She celebrated Amazon backing out of NY because, according to her, "we could invest those $3 billion in our district, ourselves, if we wanted to. We could hire out more teachers. We can fix our subways. We can put a lot of people to work for that amount of money if we wanted to."

Problem is that her district wasn't giving Amazon $3B, it was tax incentives to get Amazon to come. It was't a cash handout, it was tax savings but, she tried to paint it like now they have all this extra money. She actually cost the city $27B in tax revenue according to NY Mayor Blasio, "the Amazon deal would have produced $27 billion in new tax revenue to fuel priorities from transit to affordable housing — a nine-fold return on the taxes the city and state were prepared to forgo to win the headquarters.”

Then there was this back in December: https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...tezs-trillion-mistake/?utm_term=.fe9fc1adabc5

I guess if it's okay for Trump, then it's okay for everyone. Problem is, playing his game will only help get him re-elected.
Did you read the article you cited? There was an accumulation of $21 trillion, over the years, that still hasn’t been properly accounted for - she did misrepresent it as potentially being a lump sum just hiding somewhere (which isn’t accurate), but comparing this misrepresentation to ANY of Trump’s lies is absurd.
I don’t pretend to know over how many years either the 3B in tax cuts or the 27B in lost revenue spanned - it wasn’t just one, I’m certain. But speaking from someone who lives in a state that has given tax cuts to every major business that’s located here in the last 25 years and now has to pass a gas tax to rebuild our highways, these tax giveaways are a hoax. The projected tax revenue generated NEVER compensates for the tax giveaway.
It.Just. Doesn’t.
But politicians want to tout all the new jobs they brought in while telling you your taxes are going up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Says the guy who takes things out of context and twists what others write. You're in good company though. So, you've got that going for you.
In context without needing to twist anything-

"This person is just a bartender and therefore not worthy of consideration. Then people got mad at me because they're meanie heads."

"She's not just a bartender. You're just using that to belittle her."

"Nuh uh! I didn't belittle her. I just said she was a bartender."

"Which is an attempt to belittle her. Because that's not all she is."

"Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, ad infinitum"

I'm sorry that your own words bring down your argument but I didn't put your foot in your mouth.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
In context without needing to twist anything-

"This person is just a bartender and therefore not worthy of consideration. Then people got mad at me because they're meanie heads."

"She's not just a bartender. You're just using that to belittle her."

"Nuh uh! I didn't belittle her. I just said she was a bartender."

"Which is an attempt to belittle her. Because that's not all she is."

"Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, ad infinitum"

I'm sorry that your own words bring down your argument but I didn't put your foot in your mouth.
LOL! Who are you quoting? Is this what you do? Completely make up conversations and put words in other people's mouths? No need to answer. It's rhetorical. Funny guy, that Matt is.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
LOL! Who are you quoting? Is this what you do? Completely make up conversations and put words in other people's mouths? No need to answer. It's rhetorical. Funny guy, that Matt is.
It's a semi-satirical/semi-paraphrased version of the stuff you've said in this thread. It is far from "completely" made up.

Keep going, sweetie. You're doing great.

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
I wish you guys were all defense attorneys. You all start off having no opinion on AOC only to contribute all these pages defending her. You have missed your calling. I do think like most politicians she should talk a little less without considering how to actually get her goals accomplished. That isn't a knock on her that is how I feel about every politician, especially our president.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
It's a semi-satirical/semi-paraphrased version of the stuff you've said in this thread. It is far from "completely" made up.
LOL! So, we are talking about a FB debate I had with some AOC fanboys and fangirls. A debate you did not participate in. And yet you think you know how the conversation went? Well, you don't. Not even close. But, keep on punching yourself if that's what works for you. Go tribal Matt! Go tribal Matt! :biggrin:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.