Best performance by an opposing quarterback against Alabama? Pre & since CNS

Best performance by an opposing quarterback against Alabama under CNS?

• Tim Tebow, Florida

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Cam Newton, Auburn

• Stephen Garcia, South Carolina

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • Trevor Knight, Oklahoma

• Bo Wallace, Ole Miss

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Chad Kelly, Ole Miss

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cardale Jones, Ohio State

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Deshaun Watson, Clemson

Votes: 35 52.2%
  • Trevor Lawrence, Clemson

Votes: 6 9.0%

• Total voters

saturdaysarebet

3rd Team
Jul 26, 2018
Best performance by an opposing quarterback against Alabama? Before Coach Nick Saban and since he's been at Alabama?

I tried to do this as a poll, but I can never get the poll to work.

Ones that come to mind since Coach Saban has been at Alabama:

Tim Tebow, Florida
Cam Newton, Auburn
Stephen Garcia, South Carolina
Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M
Trevor Knight, Oklahoma
Bo Wallace, Ole Miss
Chad Kelly, Ole Miss
Cardale Jones, Ohio State
Deshaun Watson, Clemson
Trevor Lawrence, Clemson

Others? Your pick?

As far as before Coach Nick Saban against Alabama, Doug Flutie, Boston College comes to mind.

Others? Your pick?

Tide Rev

All-American
Mar 22, 2000
Ocean Springs, MS
In addition to the above for us old schoolers,
Phil Bradley, MIzzou in 1975
Jerry Tagge in the Orange Bowl 1971
Tom Clements, Sugar Bowl 1973
John Bond, MSU, 1980

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I realize that there have been others, but Stephen Garcia is the most memorable one for me since Saban arrived.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think the most annoying one to lose to pre saban that comes to mind for me is Matt Jones.

But to your question:

Pre: Tom Brady. Many might take issue with this one when Manning and Wuerfull gave us hell, but Brady brought Michigan back from 2 14 point deficits against one of the best Bama teams in the 90’s. 369 yards and 4 TDs is pretty dang good.

CNS era: Deshaun Watson and it’s not close

Last edited:

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
In the CNS era its Watson.

36 for 56 420 yards 4 total TDs against what many think is the best defense of the CNS era. Sure the offensive issues played a roll but thats impressive no matter what. Not to mention he didn't have Higgins or Ross making crazy catches.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
In the CNS era its Watson.

36 for 56 420 yards 4 total TDs against what many think is the best defense of the CNS era. Sure the offensive issues played a roll but thats impressive no matter what. Not to mention he didn't have Higgins or Ross making crazy catches.
He basically did it two years in a row against us.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Deshaun in the Saban era, Dave Marler of Miss St at Legion Field in about 78 or so. Threw for 450 in a totally different game. Condredge Holloway may not have had the stats, but that dude was awesome. And ol Brett Favre had a pretty good day at Legion Field also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I think that one was the most out of character. Garcia never approached his Bama 2010 performance before or after. He just played a whale of a game.
Not only that, but the 2010 team was Bama's worst under CNS wrt staying focused on the process.

It's Watson for me. Even when Bama stopped him for a half, he still came out stroking and won the game. SMH

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Best performance by an opposing quarterback against Alabama? Pre & since CNS

Browning Nagle - Louisville in the 1991 Fiesta Bowl was 20/33 for 451 in an absolutely awful game for Bama. 34-7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Watson is the easy choice. The guy was at his best against us. Others on the list had good/great games, but Watson—he’s the man.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I had a hard time not picking Watson. But Manziel did, crazy as he may be, I did not think possible.
Yup..Manziel gets my vote..As much as I despise the guy, as a football player, what Johnny Football did to us still irks me in amazement, cause that game won his Heisman Trophy & makes me just shake my head as to what he's done with his talent since that year..

Mike Evans made his life sooooo much easier as a QB, cause he was like a vacuum cleaner, catching the ball against us & we simply couldn't cover him..Even when we beat The Aggies the next year, if I recall right, Evans still caught nearly 300yrds in that loss against us..Dude was the best WR we've played against or was he a TE??????..

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.