Best performance by an opposing quarterback against Alabama? Pre & since CNS

Best performance by an opposing quarterback against Alabama under CNS?

• Tim Tebow, Florida

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Cam Newton, Auburn

• Stephen Garcia, South Carolina

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • Trevor Knight, Oklahoma

• Bo Wallace, Ole Miss

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Chad Kelly, Ole Miss

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cardale Jones, Ohio State

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Deshaun Watson, Clemson

Votes: 35 52.2%
  • Trevor Lawrence, Clemson

Votes: 6 9.0%

• Total voters

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
One name I'll add to the pre-Saban era - Reggie Collier from Southern Miss. We couldn't do anything with him. Neither could Aubie.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Watson is my choice. Manziel was great, but his receivers were the real story. Watson was the best player in college football to not win a Heisman, IMO.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Watson is my choice. Manziel was great, but his receivers were the real story. Watson was the best player in college football to not win a Heisman, IMO.
You make a valid point, but, we had no answer at all for Johnny Football in that loss & his performance against us was the best individual performance I've seen in person..

He was like Houdini escaping our pass rush & made our boy's look silly in the process..He literally looked like Joe Montana throwing the ball against us..I still think his jersey was coated in Vaseline to ease my ego..LOL

Last edited:

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I realize that there have been others, but Stephen Garcia is the most memorable one for me since Saban arrived.
I agree. He could not do anything wrong that day. That USCe team should never have beaten us and we would have probably won 4 out of 5 against them! It was just one of those games.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
1000% Fact.....Within the CFB world it's pretty much criminal that he didn't win at LEAST 1 Heisman Trophy.

Watson EVISCERATED our Defense 2 years in a row.... and not just in any old regular game but the CFP NCG.

I didn't like anything about it while it was happening but he dang sure earned my respect.

The dude just has ICE water running through his veins coupled with a Michael Jordan like assassin mentality.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Since I'm the only one to vote him, Trevor Knight had the greatest game of his entire collegiate career against Alabama in the Sugar Bowl. He never really gained any more traction after this victory, and fizzled right out.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Without some circus-like catches, Manziel would have lost both games against Bama and wouldn't even be on the list. Same with the OM QBs. The WRs and a ton dumb luck are the only reason they're on the list.

Tebow, Watson, Scam - those guys just beat Bama.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Without some circus-like catches, Manziel would have lost both games against Bama and wouldn't even be on the list. Same with the OM QBs. The WRs and a ton dumb luck are the only reason they're on the list.

I was just about to post something similar about Manziel. He made some bad throws and decisions that worked out in his favor so I can't give him as much credit for it.

Tubafore

Scout Team
Dec 13, 2018
Huntsville, AL
This will almost read like a Gary D*nielson thing, but it takes a great quarterback performance to beat us, generally playing way above their level. My vote is for Stephen Garcia's performance against us in 2010, because that was so far beyond his level as to be astonishing. Tebow, Manziel, Newton, and Watson all went on to be NFL quarterbacks of varying levels of success, but they got to the league. What's Garcia done? Nothing. Apparently he's attempted 4 total passes at the Arena football level. So yeah...that's why I voted for him

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
2001 Alabama vs LSU @ BDS. Rohan Davey 35-44-1 528 yards 2 TD. Josh Reed had 19 receptions.
I remember listening to that game on the radio. In terms of pure numbers, that was probably the best performance in the last 20 yrs bar none.
Goodness..I totally forgotten about that game when Davey put a complete beat down on us..Gotta give The Swamp Kittens their due & would've vote for him..That was a nightmare game..

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
I think the game where LSU's Rohan Davey threw for about 5 million yards on us was the best by an opposing QB. I was at that one, and it was brutal to watch.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
My issue with putting Davey up there as the greatest performance pre Saban is that the 2001 team was an average at best team coming off the worst Alabama season since before CPB took over. I think there are quite a few QBs that played better Alabama teams and did far worse in terms of scale.

I would put all of these before Davey:
Wuerful
Manning
Eli
Farve
Brady

Davey stat wise has it, but how would he have done against some of the better than average Alabama teams.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

I get what you're saying. He just did that with such consistency. I would say his 2013 game against us was even better than the 2012 one.

Anyway, like I said I had a hard time not picking Watson. And he definitely is probably the most deserving Heisman winner to not win the award.

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
Since I'm the only one to vote him, Trevor Knight had the greatest game of his entire collegiate career against Alabama in the Sugar Bowl. He never really gained any more traction after this victory, and fizzled right out.
No kidding. TK never had a game like that before or after that Sugar Bowl. There's a reason Mayfield beat him out the next fall. Ironically, Knight is one of the most respected and popular players in recent memory at OU for many of the same reasons as Jalen Hurts is to Tide Fans.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I think the game where LSU's Rohan Davey threw for about 5 million yards on us was the best by an opposing QB. I was at that one, and it was brutal to watch.
Unfortunately I was there too. Our defense had no idea of what was going on and Davey to Reed was pitch and catch. It is hard to believe one WR caught 19 passes in one game.

TideRollsInOhio

Aug 20, 2018
Growing up in the state of Ohio and sitting in the Superdome to witness it live, I have to give honorable mention to Cardale Jones. He made my worst nightmares a reality and had a hell of a game considering it was the third start of his career.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.