Best performance by an opposing quarterback against Alabama? Pre & since CNS - Page 3

View Poll Results: Best performance by an opposing quarterback against Alabama under CNS?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tim Tebow, Florida

2 2.99%
  • Cam Newton, Auburn

2 2.99%
  • Stephen Garcia, South Carolina

7 10.45%
  • Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M

12 17.91%
  • Trevor Knight, Oklahoma

2 2.99%
  • Bo Wallace, Ole Miss

1 1.49%
  • Chad Kelly, Ole Miss

0 0%
  • Cardale Jones, Ohio State

0 0%
  • Deshaun Watson, Clemson

35 52.24%
  • Trevor Lawrence, Clemson

6 8.96%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American dWarriors88's Avatar

Re: Best performance by an opposing quarterback against Alabama? Pre & since CNS

Since I'm the only one to vote him, Trevor Knight had the greatest game of his entire collegiate career against Alabama in the Sugar Bowl. He never really gained any more traction after this victory, and fizzled right out.
    At Some Places They Play Football.
    At Alabama, We LIVE It.

"...Ain't nothin' but a winner."

BamaNation Second Team

Re: Best performance by an opposing quarterback against Alabama? Pre & since CNS

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    Poll added to the thread...
    Thank you crimsonaudio.

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Watson is my choice. Manziel was great, but his receivers were the real story. Watson was the best player in college football to not win a Heisman, IMO.
    Without some circus-like catches, Manziel would have lost both games against Bama and wouldn't even be on the list. Same with the OM QBs. The WRs and a ton dumb luck are the only reason they're on the list.

Tebow, Watson, Scam - those guys just beat Bama.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Without some circus-like catches, Manziel would have lost both games against Bama and wouldn't even be on the list. Same with the OM QBs. The WRs and a ton dumb luck are the only reason they're on the list.

I was just about to post something similar about Manziel. He made some bad throws and decisions that worked out in his favor so I can't give him as much credit for it.

BamaNation Third Team

This will almost read like a Gary D*nielson thing, but it takes a great quarterback performance to beat us, generally playing way above their level. My vote is for Stephen Garcia's performance against us in 2010, because that was so far beyond his level as to be astonishing. Tebow, Manziel, Newton, and Watson all went on to be NFL quarterbacks of varying levels of success, but they got to the league. What's Garcia done? Nothing. Apparently he's attempted 4 total passes at the Arena football level. So yeah...that's why I voted for him

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMan09's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    2001 Alabama vs LSU @ BDS. Rohan Davey 35-44-1 528 yards 2 TD. Josh Reed had 19 receptions.
    Quote Originally Posted by deliveryman35 View Post
    I remember listening to that game on the radio. In terms of pure numbers, that was probably the best performance in the last 20 yrs bar none.
    Goodness..I totally forgotten about that game when Davey put a complete beat down on us..Gotta give The Swamp Kittens their due & would've vote for him..That was a nightmare game..

I think the game where LSU's Rohan Davey threw for about 5 million yards on us was the best by an opposing QB. I was at that one, and it was brutal to watch.
    JUST WIN
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Its not the will to win that matters everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters. - Paul W "Bear" Bryant
    "Aight" - Nick Saban

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

My issue with putting Davey up there as the greatest performance pre Saban is that the 2001 team was an average at best team coming off the worst Alabama season since before CPB took over. I think there are quite a few QBs that played better Alabama teams and did far worse in terms of scale.

I would put all of these before Davey:
    Wuerful
    Manning
    Eli
    Farve
    Brady

Davey stat wise has it, but how would he have done against some of the better than average Alabama teams.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

I get what you're saying. He just did that with such consistency. I would say his 2013 game against us was even better than the 2012 one.

Anyway, like I said I had a hard time not picking Watson. And he definitely is probably the most deserving Heisman winner to not win the award.

BamaNation All-American theballguy's Avatar
    Behind is in Colorado Springs, heart in Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    That was my initial thought when I saw DW mentioned. He didn't do it just once. He did it two years in a row.
    Yeah, he's a good one. And a good guy as well. I love watching him in the NFL.
    I know what it takes to win. If I can sell them on what it takes to win, then we are not going to lose too many football games. - Coach Paul Bryant and I can see Coach Nick Saban agreeing completely.

Big-12 All American owenfieldreams's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dWarriors88 View Post
    Since I'm the only one to vote him, Trevor Knight had the greatest game of his entire collegiate career against Alabama in the Sugar Bowl. He never really gained any more traction after this victory, and fizzled right out.
    No kidding. TK never had a game like that before or after that Sugar Bowl. There's a reason Mayfield beat him out the next fall. Ironically, Knight is one of the most respected and popular players in recent memory at OU for many of the same reasons as Jalen Hurts is to Tide Fans.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Just Win View Post
    I think the game where LSU's Rohan Davey threw for about 5 million yards on us was the best by an opposing QB. I was at that one, and it was brutal to watch.
    Unfortunately I was there too. Our defense had no idea of what was going on and Davey to Reed was pitch and catch. It is hard to believe one WR caught 19 passes in one game.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation Third Team

Growing up in the state of Ohio and sitting in the Superdome to witness it live, I have to give honorable mention to Cardale Jones. He made my worst nightmares a reality and had a hell of a game considering it was the third start of his career.