Best performance by an opposing quarterback against Alabama? Pre & since CNS

Best performance by an opposing quarterback against Alabama under CNS?

• Tim Tebow, Florida

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Cam Newton, Auburn

• Stephen Garcia, South Carolina

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • Trevor Knight, Oklahoma

• Bo Wallace, Ole Miss

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Chad Kelly, Ole Miss

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cardale Jones, Ohio State

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Deshaun Watson, Clemson

Votes: 35 52.2%
  • Trevor Lawrence, Clemson

Votes: 6 9.0%

• Total voters

ClemsonFan89

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 3, 2017
Aiken SC
Lawrence - the way we played, Kelly Bryant could have beaten us that night

Lawrence was the reason your defense looked so bad. He beat bama with his head. He knew where he wanted to go with the ball fast and a lot of times before the snap. The line played well but the reason the pressure couldn't get to him is because he got rid of the ball quickly. The receivers made great catches but he got the ball to them when they had the advantage in coverage. Clemson would not have won with Kelly b.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
I like to post and then go back and read the other posts so here's my thought:

Johhny Manziel in T-town on a perfect Nov. day did the craziest thing I've ever seen for the whole game. Maybe it's because I was there in person and saw it with my own eyes but it was amazingly crazy good!

It was not just one play (the one that won him the Heisman) but he did stuff like that the whole game and we couldn't stop him. It's even amazing we almost pulled it out in the end.

Everybody on the list had a day, but Johhny football had the best of 'em all on one day against Bama.
I get what you're saying, but after that first quarter, Manziel was kept largely in check.

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017
I don't know about yardages or completion percentage, or TD's in the two I'm going to mention, but they stand out in my memory above others. Both Pre-Saban, the 1969 Manning game when Scott Hunter out-dueled him for the 33-32 win, and Reggie Collier's performance in 1981 to secure a 13-13 tie against the Tide. Collier's 4th quarter drive was masterful, and for the first time in my life as a Bama fan, I actually breathed a sigh of relief when the game ended in a tie, because it looked for all the world like Collier was going to lead the Golden Eagles to a winning touchdown instead of a FG.

As for Saban-era, Stephen Garcia's performance in 2010 is the one that still defies logic to me to this day. But I have to tip my cap to him for being able to pull it off.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I had a hard time not picking Watson. But Manziel did, crazy as he may be, I did not think possible.
Manziel got spotted 20 points on the 1st 3 drives on some miracle situations (ie bobbling the ball back to himself, receivers running under ducks, AJ having the worst quarter in his career), and didn't do much else afterwards. Manziel probably had his best performance the following year, but he played a big part of us winning that one also.

But to be perfectly honest, Texas A&M's best player that day was Doug Nussmeier. Without one of his most "beautiful" displays of offensive incompetence we probably win 42-29 instead of lose 29-24. Its amazing that we won a NC with Nuss calling plays because we should've lost both of the LSU and UGA games with his bone headed play calling.
I get what you're saying, but after that first quarter, Manziel was kept largely in check.
Some of his very best throws were in the 4th quarter. Our defense wasn't that bad...he was just that good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykxRc-kSH74

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Some of his very best throws were in the 4th quarter. Our defense wasn't that bad...he was just that good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykxRc-kSH74
I keep asking myself what happens if Nussmeir had the smarts enough to run the ball 4 times on the 3 yard line instead of trying to win AJ the heisman. MVP of that game for Texas A&M was Doug Nussmsier not Johnny manziel. We shut him down from the 2nd quarter on.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I keep asking myself what happens if Nussmeir had the smarts enough to run the ball 4 times on the 3 yard line instead of trying to win AJ the heisman. MVP of that game for Texas A&M was Doug Nussmsier not Johnny manziel. We shut him down from the 2nd quarter on.
I don't disagree about our offense, but Manziel made plays the whole game including the 3rd and 4th quarters. We contained him much better after the first quarter, but we didn't shut him down. Two of the most critical plays were dimes he tossed to his guys that were very well defended. Just perfect throws. The evidence is in the video.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
In deciding my vote I somewhat went outside the scope of the question. I voted Garcia because all the other quarterbacks were the type of players who commonly put up big numbers in games. Look at Garcia's career, even operating within a Spurrier style offense. He simply wasn't the type of quarterback who commonly put up big game numbers. The other ones did. So for him to do what he did against us, is a lot more impressive and shocking as well. It was like Dan Marino's spirit descending upon Garcia's body for that game. His stats for that game compared to the others on the list aren't eye popping. But taking into consideration the caliber of quarterback he was, compared to the rest. His was the most impressive. Oh, and almost forgot this about Garcia. He was also a head case to deal with.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.