Game Thread: Auburn @ Alabama (8 pm tip on ESPNU)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
According to ESPN's gamecast:

Auburn is favored by 2.5
BPI gives Auburn a 70.3% chance of winning tonight

RammaJamma10

1st Team
Dec 5, 2006
Harvest, AL
Man it would be nice to just come out on fire for 40 minutes and win by 20; however, I will be fully prepared for another stressful, ulcer inducing 40 minutes with untimely turnovers, poor shot selection, and missed free throws that will frustrate the bejesus out of me.

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
My thoughts on the game tonight and what I would like to see.

Obviously, we need to limit turnovers to avoid giving up easy looks in transition. We also MUST win the rebounding battle. If we lose the battle on the boards tonight, that will mean we are getting completely out hustled. That is a recipe for a home blowout loss.

If I were making the gameplan:

Offensively:

I would have us drive, drive, drive some more. This does a few things: 1) Gives us what should be better looks at the basket and takes advantage of our athleticism and our length 2) Should limit long rebounds which lets Auburn get out in transition 3) Will allow us to hit the offensive glass very hard 4) could help us get them in foul trouble early. 5) Get some easy open 3 point looks from kick outs; after beating them off the dribble and they help down.

When we aren’t driving we need to pound the ball in the paint. Also, not just to Hall. We need to post up Petty, and Dazon some (if he plays) Posting up Dazon May help limit his turnovers. We have a size and length advantage with our guards. We need to use it and get physical with them.

Defensively:

Get physical with them. We have a size advantage we need to use it. I would like to see Herb on Harper some. (I know we tried it some early last time, but the game snowballed on us so quickly that it didn’t matter) Have Petty guard Brown often. Again, I want length on their guards.

This also sounds crazy as well as they shoot the ball, but I would mix in some zone too. This should help limit getting beat off of the dribble. We are long enough that we can get into the shooters faces. (Actually as long as we are we should actually play a 2-3 zone more often)

Sorry for the long post. Just wanted to play analyst for a minute haha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
Oh, so you think Alabama will be a high enough NIT seed to get a home game? :rolleyes:
I did think about that - LOL. You are correct, we can't assume a home NIT game - so tonight might be it for those 4 seniors. I'd like to see Lawson Schaeffer start tonight and play for a while - i bet the students would go crazy. We have nothing to lose anyway. We're not going to the big dance without winning out the regular season and at least 2-
3 wins in the SEC tourney. I highly doubt that happens unless we recruit a few more consistent shooters between now and tip-off.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I did think about that - LOL. You are correct, we can't assume a home NIT game - so tonight might be it for those 4 seniors. I'd like to see Lawson Schaeffer start tonight and play for a while - i bet the students would go crazy. We have nothing to lose anyway. We're not going to the big dance without winning out the regular season and at least 2-
3 wins in the SEC tourney. I highly doubt that happens unless we recruit a few more consistent shooters between now and tip-off.
Whew. You honestly think Alabama needs 4-5 more wins to get to the tournament? Have seen no one say that. Most say 19 wins gets Alabama into the NCAAT.

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Do you even follow how the NCAA tournament works now? You’re saying we need 4-5 wins to get in the tournament? That’s just nonsense. Either you have ZERO clue what you’re talking about or you’re just trolling. 95% of the brackets have us currently in the tournament. A win tonight probably gets us in the tournament, 2 wins definitely does. If we win 2-3 games in the tournament we are COMFORTABLY in with probably an 8 or 9 seed.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Avery Johnson has never heard of any type of zone defense. I firmly believe that after watching him all season. Too much NBA in him. But I agree with the idea.
My thoughts on the game tonight and what I would like to see.

Obviously, we need to limit turnovers to avoid giving up easy looks in transition. We also MUST win the rebounding battle. If we lose the battle on the boards tonight, that will mean we are getting completely out hustled. That is a recipe for a home blowout loss.

If I were making the gameplan:

Offensively:

I would have us drive, drive, drive some more. This does a few things: 1) Gives us what should be better looks at the basket and takes advantage of our athleticism and our length 2) Should limit long rebounds which lets Auburn get out in transition 3) Will allow us to hit the offensive glass very hard 4) could help us get them in foul trouble early. 5) Get some easy open 3 point looks from kick outs; after beating them off the dribble and they help down.

When we aren’t driving we need to pound the ball in the paint. Also, not just to Hall. We need to post up Petty, and Dazon some (if he plays) Posting up Dazon May help limit his turnovers. We have a size and length advantage with our guards. We need to use it and get physical with them.

Defensively:

Get physical with them. We have a size advantage we need to use it. I would like to see Herb on Harper some. (I know we tried it some early last time, but the game snowballed on us so quickly that it didn’t matter) Have Petty guard Brown often. Again, I want length on their guards.

This also sounds crazy as well as they shoot the ball, but I would mix in some zone too. This should help limit getting beat off of the dribble. We are long enough that we can get into the shooters faces. (Actually as long as we are we should actually play a 2-3 zone more often)

Sorry for the long post. Just wanted to play analyst for a minute haha!

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Avery Johnson has never heard of any type of zone defense. I firmly believe that after watching him all season. Too much NBA in him. But I agree with the idea.
We don’t mix in enough of it. We played a decent amount of zone vs LSU. I thought we got out of it too soon. I expect to see Auburn play some 2-3 against us tonight.

RammaJamma10

1st Team
Dec 5, 2006
Harvest, AL
What worries me is Auburn's offensive rebounding- mainly because when they are firing up so many 3 point shots, the rebounds are coming off so long that off guards are able to sneak in and grab them for an extra possession. We have to box out the backside extended because just blocking out the guys in the lane won't be enough. Kira, Mack, Petty, etc can't get caught trying to sneak out during shots. We need all 5 guys on the court rebounding.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Don't mean to be too negative here, but our best hope of winning is Auburn not shooting the trey well. Sure, good defense and rebuilding is always necessary, but if they have a hot hand from 3 land I'm not sure we can keep up with them.

Let's face it, we won't win a high scoring game.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Man it would be nice to just come out on fire for 40 minutes and win by 20; however, I will be fully prepared for another stressful, ulcer inducing 40 minutes with untimely turnovers, poor shot selection, and missed free throws that will frustrate the bejesus out of me.
Almost a guarantee there will be at least one 5 minute scoring drought. Even in our blowouts we have one.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Don't mean to be too negative here, but our best hope of winning is Auburn not shooting the trey well. Sure, good defense and rebuilding is always necessary, but if they have a hot hand from 3 land I'm not sure we can keep up with them.

Let's face it, we won't win a high scoring game.
You are right. We have to defend the whole floor, but especially 3's. We get down when they start jacking up 3's and hitting them we will get killed. We've got to defend like we did at Carolina. We match up with them much better than we did with LSU.

I think Petty is due so. I hope he goes off tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.