Unbreaking America: A NEW Short Film about Solving the Corruption Crisis

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Oh no, I don't think we disagree.

*I've always said it, the reason seemingly good honest people who started out in politics wanting to make a difference end up being the "same old, same old" is because the system allows it. It's simply too much temptation. That same structure is also on the local level in many of the cities we live in. Mine is one of the worst regarding corruption. Heck, the entire state I live in is known for it's political corruption. But my city specifically is no different. It's just a bunch of people who cannot fight the temptation of using a governmental structure that allows corruption. It doesn't matter whether the city is run by democrats or republicans. It's all the same problem. It just looks different, but in the end it's the same result.
Our municipal elections are non-partisan. I think it helps some...

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Our municipal elections are non-partisan. I think it helps some...
The local elections in Decatur could be called non-partisan because Dems are so outnumbered they don't even run for office. Huntsville is a much more a progressive city compared to Decatur, but then I remember that Mo Brooks keeps getting reelected.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Oh no, I don't think we disagree.

*I've always said it, the reason seemingly good honest people who started out in politics wanting to make a difference end up being the "same old, same old" is because the system allows it. It's simply too much temptation. That same structure is also on the local level in many of the cities we live in. Mine is one of the worst regarding corruption. Heck, the entire state I live in is known for it's political corruption. But my city specifically is no different. It's just a bunch of people who cannot fight the temptation of using a governmental structure that allows corruption. It doesn't matter whether the city is run by democrats or republicans. It's all the same problem. It just looks different, but in the end it's the same result.
I'm all for reforms that prevent one from getting wealthy through government service. So, those proposals by Warren are appealing. Heck, I'd like to see Plato's provisions for becoming a government leader be put in place: not only can you not become wealthy, you must become poor. No financial incentives at all.

But, as you mentioned earlier, it is curious that Warren also encourages the growth of government. You are not going to limit the infestation of the green flies if you keep letting the dog poop pile up in your backyard. Get rid of the poop and the green flies go away.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
When I read the Hunger Games triology, I thought, "That could never happen!" But now we have the Mockingjay putting out videos on how to take down a corrupt government. It has come to pass *Cue mockingjay whistle* :biggrin:

Seriously, that's the best three point sermon I've every heard on politics. Thanks for posting. Also, Im surprised there wasn't a mockingjay post yet. You guys got to read more :D

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
When I read the Hunger Games triology, I thought, "That could never happen!" But now we have the Mockingjay putting out videos on how to take down a corrupt government. It has come to pass *Cue mockingjay whistle* :biggrin:

Seriously, that's the best three point sermon I've every heard on politics. Thanks for posting. Also, Im surprised there wasn't a mockingjay post yet. You guys got to read more :D
I read that series in parallel with my daughter several years ago. And, Lily, ever the goofball (I blame her mother), said, "Katnis and Peeta. If I 'ship them, their name would be 'Cat Pee.'"

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
The road to hell (or the demise of this country) is paved with "good intent".
correct. a lot of trumpies like to say they were just voting for him to make our country "great" again. i'm sure some of them actually believe that their intentions are the best. same with the fundies who are trying to "save" everyone

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Well, one party seems to support most of the ideas in this video. The other believes that passing such reforms would "undermine the integrity of our elections" and has vowed that it will never be allowed to come up for a vote. As 2020 approaches, remember that.

House Democrats pass H.R. 1, their answer to draining the swamp

A central provision establishes public financing for congressional elections, giving candidates as much as a 6-to-1 match for small donations to participating campaigns. Republicans have attacked the measure for funneling taxpayer money to political candidates; Democrats reworked the bill to tap revenue from fines from people and companies found guilty of corporate malfeasance...

Another key campaign finance provision would require nonprofit “dark money” groups that engage in political activity to disclose their large donors — a provision that has generated opposition from the American Civil Liberties Union and other advocacy groups that argue the disclosure could chill free speech.

The bill also aims to end partisan gerrymandering of congressional districts by requiring independent state commissions, rather than legislatures, to draw lines. It also would create an automatic voter-registration system, bar states from disenfranchising felons who have completed their sentences, create stricter rules surrounding voter-roll purges and weaken state laws requiring voters to present photo identification.

Several parts of the bill appeared to be aimed at the alleged abuses of Trump and his administration — none more clearly than a requirement that presidential and vice presidential candidates disclose 10 years of past tax returns, a voluntary practice that the president has ignored. The bill was amended this week to require the disclosure of the tax returns of companies owned or controlled by those candidates.

Other provisions include a new mandatory ethical code for the Supreme Court, an end to most first-class travel for federal officeholders and a provision making Election Day a national holiday.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Well, one party seems to support most of the ideas in this video. The other believes that passing such reforms would "undermine the integrity of our elections" and has vowed that it will never be allowed to come up for a vote. As 2020 approaches, remember that.

House Democrats pass H.R. 1, their answer to draining the swamp
I was booked to go to N.O. last year for “Unrig the System”, but family issues changed my plans. I got an invite to Nashville this year, and I’m going to hate to miss it. Represent Us is one of the sponsors.
JL is a good start but until more heavyweights across the country from all walks of life speak out in support of this, nothing will change.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.