Spring ahead this Sunday.........

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
The purpose of daylight savings time is long gone now. Why do we keep it?
Actually it seems that it was proposed around 1900 to add more time after work to search for bugs (New Zealander George Hudson) and play golf (Englishman William Willitt) but the Germans were the 1st to do it in 1916 to save on coal powered lighting.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Actually it seems that it was proposed around 1900 to add more time after work to search for bugs (New Zealander George Hudson) and play golf (Englishman William Willitt) but the Germans were the 1st to do it in 1916 to save on coal powered lighting.
It doesn't even do that. There's the additional cost of getting up in the dark for most of the country. Here:

YahooFinance

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
And you already have the problem of the late news not even starting until 11:00 PM. I had one friend who moved to the EST comment after a couple of years that everyone in the EST was chronically sleep-deprived...
Interesting - never thought of that. I generally watch World News Tonight with David Muir at 6:30PM as my primary daily news fix anyway. That way I can drift off to sleep any time afterwards and still be "enlightened"! :wink:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Interesting - never thought of that. I generally watch World News Tonight with David Muir at 6:30PM as my primary daily news fix anyway. That way I can drift off to sleep any time afterwards and still be "enlightened"! :wink:
My favorite newscast also. I do like the 10:00 local newscast, simply because it is mostly local and also the latest weather. (Actually, with tornadoes in the area, most of the evening was preempted, anyway, last night.) I also like to see at least the monologue from Colbert, to see him rip a Trump a new one. (That's as far into politics as I'll go. :D) I usually read at least an hour in bed, sometimes longer...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
My favorite newscast also. I do like the 10:00 local newscast, simply because it is mostly local and also the latest weather. (Actually, with tornadoes in the area, most of the evening was preempted, anyway, last night.) I also like to see at least the monologue from Colbert, to see him rip a Trump a new one. (That's as far into politics as I'll go. :D) I usually read at least an hour in bed, sometimes longer...
Yes - the 10 PM newscast for local news, weather, and sports - very popular here for the working class who have early start times the next morning! :smile:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Yes - the 10 PM newscast for local news, weather, and sports - very popular here for the working class who have early start times the next morning! :smile:
It used to be that there was no 10:00 PM newscast in the EST, only 11:00. However, here there used to be no 9:00 CDT newscast and now there is...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
It used to be that there was no 10:00 PM newscast in the EST, only 11:00. However, here there used to be no 9:00 CDT newscast and now there is...
Here in the Central Florida market, we've always had the three main broadcasts (NBC, ABC, CBS) plus Fox 35 for local news going back I'm sure 20+ years. Fox 35 was the outlier who started the whole 10PM local news concept.....and are still the 'original' and most watched, I'm sure. The others jumped on the bandwagon at different points in time - but on different cable stations than the main ones.

Right now I still have cable for my main TV and an OTA leaf antennae for the TV by my computer, which picks up all the locals news stations mentioned above plus quite a few others. Yesterday's Gator BB (loss) was on CBS so I got to watch it while sitting in my computer chair. Not so with those on SECN but that's OK - it's not like this season has gone great enough for me to go crazy with game thread posting....:rolleyes:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Here in the Central Florida market, we've always had the three main broadcasts (NBC, ABC, CBS) plus Fox 35 for local news going back I'm sure 20+ years. Fox 35 was the outlier who started the whole 10PM local news concept.....and are still the 'original' and most watched, I'm sure. The others jumped on the bandwagon at different points in time - but on different cable stations than the main ones.

Right now I still have cable for my main TV and an OTA leaf antennae for the TV by my computer, which picks up all the locals news stations mentioned above plus quite a few others. Yesterday's Gator BB (loss) was on CBS so I got to watch it while sitting in my computer chair. Not so with those on SECN but that's OK - it's not like this season has gone great enough for me to go crazy with game thread posting....:rolleyes:
We have the cable modem (I own it) and box only in one room. All the others are on air, so I can't get things like ESPN or SEC anywhere but here, which is where my desktop is, anyway. I like a lot of weird programs (watching "Build Alaska" at the momen), but we're comfortable with air on the other sets, which used to each cost up to $10 per month with Comcast. I need to place an antenna in the attic, because we're too close to the stations' towers here on the mountaintop. Recently, AT&T tried to sell my wife on a new telephone bundle, which would cost the same as the two lines we have now with fiber internet thrown in free, as a "backup." How that would work, without a separate cable modem for them, IDK...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
We have the cable modem (I own it) and box only in one room. All the others are on air, so I can't get things like ESPN or SEC anywhere but here, which is where my desktop is, anyway. I like a lot of weird programs (watching "Build Alaska" at the momen), but we're comfortable with air on the other sets, which used to each cost up to $10 per month with Comcast. I need to place an antenna in the attic, because we're too close to the stations' towers here on the mountaintop. Recently, AT&T tried to sell my wife on a new telephone bundle, which would cost the same as the two lines we have now with fiber internet thrown in free, as a "backup." How that would work, without a separate cable modem for them, IDK...
FWIW, in my slow exodus from cable box to streaming, I just installed a Magic Jack to accommodate my land line. As soon as I inputted where to port my number from (my provider - Spectrum) I got an email from Spectrum my monthly fee was going down approx. $40. So far (it's been about 1 week now) it's working just fine. In fact, I initiated an option to require callers to punch 1 more number in to get their call through and it has eliminated all spam/telemarketing calls. Caller gets a brief message and if they don't press whatever number is stated (it changes each call) it hangs up on them after "x" number of seconds. I tested the system out with my 96 year old Mom and she did just fine so if she can do it - anyone can.

I purchased directly from Magic Jack and the device arrived about a week later and purchase price included one year of service.

In total it was about $50........and annual renewal about $40.

The option to stop spam/telemarketing is worth paying almost any price, gotta say!

I don't really use my landline much - especially as I have gone into semi-retirement. But will keep it anyway to make calls out as I don't like using cell phones very much.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
We have a similar system through Amazon. It gives a short spiel about telemarketing and then asks for number input. However, my wife asked me to take it off because some of her elderly garden club, actually another club also, members couldn't handle it. They'd hang up. Apparently your mom is sharper...

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
FWIW, in my slow exodus from cable box to streaming, I just installed a Magic Jack to accommodate my land line. As soon as I inputted where to port my number from (my provider - Spectrum) I got an email from Spectrum my monthly fee was going down approx. $40. So far (it's been about 1 week now) it's working just fine. In fact, I initiated an option to require callers to punch 1 more number in to get their call through and it has eliminated all spam/telemarketing calls. Caller gets a brief message and if they don't press whatever number is stated (it changes each call) it hangs up on them after "x" number of seconds. I tested the system out with my 96 year old Mom and she did just fine so if she can do it - anyone can.

I purchased directly from Magic Jack and the device arrived about a week later and purchase price included one year of service.

In total it was about $50........and annual renewal about $40.

The option to stop spam/telemarketing is worth paying almost any price, gotta say!

I don't really use my landline much - especially as I have gone into semi-retirement. But will keep it anyway to make calls out as I don't like using cell phones very much.
Doesn't magicJack replace the land line with VOIP?

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I received my 5th spam call today as I was reading Bazza’s post above. 10-15 per dayis now the norm. I need to look into the Magic Jack box.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
I received my 5th spam call today as I was reading Bazza’s post above. 10-15 per day is now the norm. I need to look into the Magic Jack box.
Been nice and quiet around here after I installed my M.J.

Very easy to install.

Register online when you purchase.

You have to port over your number and that process will take a few days - in the meantime just continue to use your existing network. You will get email notifications from your existing provider and then from MJ when the number has been successfully ported. Then you can switch over.

To install.....one line from router goes into the device, then one line out to your phone and then a power line plugs into it. The MJ device is very small so doesn't need much space at all.

Good luck!

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
We have a similar system through Amazon. It gives a short spiel about telemarketing and then asks for number input. However, my wife asked me to take it off because some of her elderly garden club, actually another club also, members couldn't handle it. They'd hang up. Apparently your mom is sharper...
I'm wondering if it wasn't explained to those affected ahead of time what to expect.

I realize realistically you can't put out a broadcast to everyone in the world you have a new system that will require an extra step to get through, but point is - I'm not so sure my Mom would have been successful had I not explained it to her proactively.

I also have to wonder if it's such a bad thing to cut back on those phone calls that you speak of - but that's none of my business.....;)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'm wondering if it wasn't explained to those affected ahead of time what to expect.

I realize realistically you can't put out a broadcast to everyone in the world you have a new system that will require an extra step to get through, but point is - I'm not so sure my Mom would have been successful had I not explained it to her proactively.

I also have to wonder if it's such a bad thing to cut back on those phone calls that you speak of - but that's none of my business.....;)
That's, of course, not my call at all. :) Seriously, though, it did seem to confuse even some not so elderly. The message was pre-recorded - not modifiable - and it was rather strident in tone. Of course, the idea was to induce telemarketers to hang up to begin with, so that's natural. Anyway, my wife hated it. I think it was called "Sentry." The technology to suppress these calls exists. However, the phone companies are really in bed with the telemarketers. It's probably going to take government action, which is a shame...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
That's, of course, not my call at all. :) Seriously, though, it did seem to confuse even some not so elderly. The message was pre-recorded - not modifiable - and it was rather strident in tone. Of course, the idea was to induce telemarketers to hang up to begin with, so that's natural. Anyway, my wife hated it. I think it was called "Sentry." The technology to suppress these calls exists. However, the phone companies are really in bed with the telemarketers. It's probably going to take government action, which is a shame...
I live with my 2 dogs and 2 cats and as pack leader - I always have the final say so on stuff around here. :biggrin2:

I just Googled and found what you have.

We wouldn't need devices like this if the "Do Not Call" registry system was enforced. Implement a program and then don't manage it. :rolleye2:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I live with my 2 dogs and 2 cats and as pack leader - I always have the final say so on stuff around here. :biggrin2:

I just Googled and found what you have.

We wouldn't need devices like this if the "Do Not Call" registry system was enforced. Implement a program and then don't manage it. :rolleye2:
Pressure is building on both the FCC and the phone companies. Don't forget they make money off the phone volume...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.