Game Thread: OFFICIAL POSTGAME THREAD - Bama v. The Barn... - Page 4
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American Tide Rev's Avatar

Re: OFFICIAL POSTGAME THREAD - Bama v. The Barn...

I believe the baseball model would work for college basketball. It is a different game now than what I grew up with, played and then coached. Last night looked like pickup games in the summer with whoever showed up. Again, our basketball IQ as a team is no better than some middle school teams I watched play this year. Same mistakes over and over and over again. There needs to be a change and the only thing that will get the AD’s attention is for folks to stop paying well earned money to watch this over and over and over. I talked with a couple of Duke fans last night and they are saying they are tired of one and done players. They want to see a true team that plays together for at least 3 years. It is sad how far college basketball has fallen in the last 10-20 years.

Four times Alabama missed more FTs than the difference in the game:

Georgia State - lost by 3 and missed 13 FTs
    Texas A&M - lost by 1 and missed 11 FTs
    Tennessee - lost by 3 and missed 10 FTs
    LSU - lost by 5 and missed 10 FTs

That's pathetic. Win those games, and Alabama is 21-9 and very comfortably in the tournament.

The team lacks mental toughness and physical toughness. If Avery remains at UA, one of the top things is to find a new S&C coach. Guys haven't added muscle once on campus, and they seem to get nicked up fairly often.

Might partially explain the end of the year records, too.

2016: 6-2 in February; 0-2 in March regular season2017: 3-5 in February; 1-1 in March regular season2018: 3-4 in February; 0-1 in March regular season (ended on a 5 game losing streak)2019: 4-4 in February; 0-2 in March thus far

A coach focused on fundamentals is also desperately needed. Right now, we have two recruiters on the bench. With only three assistants, let's make it one and two solid coaches.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation First Team OakMtn4Bama's Avatar

I would imagine that nearly every close loss for any team can be attributed to free throw misses.

BamaNation Second Team
    Crystal Cove,which is west of Montgomery on the Alabama River near Prairie Creek Campground.

That's Johnson's 11th loss to an unranked SEC opponent at home in 4 years. Grant only had 4 such losses in 6 years. Time for a change.

Publisher, TideFans.com &
    Benevolent Dictator

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    As Earle started many responses this basketball season, “what might have been..”

Think about it. Last night....winnable. LSU game at home -winnable. Tennessee in Knoxville-winnable. TAMU at home -(ugh) winnable. Georgia State -(ugh) winnable. Baylor and UCF both winnable.

Go 4-3 in those games and look at the perception of this season. And I submit that difference in those games was coaching and preparation. And that will be the difference most likely between the NCAA and the NIT for us.
    Except for the opportunity to improve and play together more, I wish NIT wasn't an option. This team should have been a top 25 team.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBamaBeno View Post
    That's Johnson's 11th loss to an unranked SEC opponent at home in 4 years. Grant only had 4 such losses in 6 years. Time for a change.
    I know you don't really care about this, but the SEC is better than when Anthony Grant was here.

We're all frustrated and irritated with how things are, but if you're going to say it's time to fire Avery because Anthony Grant had less losses to unranked opponents at home, you must want Avery to stay because he has 14 wins against ranked opponents, which is 11 more than CAG.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

Publisher, TideFans.com &
    Benevolent Dictator

Quote Originally Posted by TheBamaBeno View Post
    Of course, the other view is that he stopped the ridiculous on-the-road loss streak. I'm not sure what the issue is overall (coaching, players, sign-of-the-times, or whatever), but it does certainly damper my enjoyment of hoops. I thought this team might be different but it's just more of the same.

Can we just stop with the Grant and Avery comparisons? It was clear then that it was time for Grant to move on and it is clear now that it is time for us to move on from Avery. We don’t have to keep constantly comparing the two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation Second Team Bama Shoals's Avatar

But that is the issue. He cannot get his teams to play consistently hard and well for very long at all. Good coaches do that.
    "Then I said unto them, What is the high place whereunto ye go? And the name thereof is called Bamah unto this day." Ezekiel 20:29
    Proof that the Crimson Tide is the only team to pull for in college football!

Just wanted to say sorry for the loss. Things will get better - hang in there......

BamaNation Second Team
    Crystal Cove,which is west of Montgomery on the Alabama River near Prairie Creek Campground.

Avery Johnson is the Short Bus Gus of college basketball. Let's give him a huge raise and a contract extension.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by dayhiker View Post
    I think instead of being done, like many here feel, I think I'm indifferent. I sort of think that is worse than being done. I hate that I feel so blah about it.
    Exactly, I hate that I feel this way, and I know some try to use it as some type of statement to say it makes me a bad fan. However, I'm to the point in my life where I know there are plenty of things I like to do. I really enjoy watching Bama basketball, for instance, if we play good fundamentally sound basketball with solid effort. If we don't, I don't enjoy it. My fandom may force me to tolerate some bad play, but I am definitely to the point where I can find more entertaining things to do than torture myself by watching them play. I will always keep checking in on the scores and hoping we figure things out and reading the opinions here on Tidefans, though. Roll Tide! I hope we can get a win at Arky.

BamaNation First Team

Thanks- but things getting better for Bama basketball is highly unlikely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
    Just wanted to say sorry for the loss. Things will get better - hang in there......