Game Thread: OFFICIAL POSTGAME THREAD - Bama v. The Barn... - Page 5
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    BamaNation First Team

Re: OFFICIAL POSTGAME THREAD - Bama v. The Barn...

You always seem to blame the officials in some way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rama Jama View Post
    Too angry to say much. Same old story different night. I have never seen a team blow leads like we do. Btw, the officials lost control early. Foul after foul ignored. The boogs were like the old Detroit bad boys. Pitiful.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by OakMtn4Bama View Post
    I would imagine that nearly every close loss for any team can be attributed to free throw misses.

Maybe when counting every missed free throw. Maybe not if only counting up to what should be a reasonable shooting percentage. In most of these games, hitting a reasonable percentage would account for more than the difference in the final score.

Bama has won games due to being hot from the free throw line; lost some when shooting decent as well.

4-13 vs UT...ugh! Hitting 55% would have added 3 points; maybe another one depending on misses on front end of 1-and-1's.

Quote Originally Posted by day-day View Post
    Maybe when counting every missed free throw. Maybe not if only counting up to what should be a reasonable shooting percentage. In most of these games, hitting a reasonable percentage would account for more than the difference in the final score.

Bama has won games due to being hot from the free throw line; lost some when shooting decent as well.
    That's why I only looked at games where Alabama missed more FTs than the number of points it lost by. Doesn't matter how many FTs you miss if you lose by 20.
    4-13 vs UT...ugh! Hitting 55% would have added 3 points; maybe another one depending on misses on front end of 1-and-1's.
    Bama was 8-18 (44%) in Knoxville. If Bama shoots its 67.4% average that day, it makes 12 FTs.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    That's why I only looked at games where Alabama missed more FTs than the number of points it lost by. Doesn't matter how many FTs you miss if you lose by 20.

Bama was 8-18 (44%) in Knoxville. If Bama shoots its 67.4% average that day, it makes 12 FTs.
    The free throw should be the easiest shot in basketball, other than of course an uncontested dunk or layup. The fact that we're not good at free throws is very telling in that we're not good at shooting overall. And in basketball, if your players are not good at shooting the basketball into the hoop, you're not going to be very good. It's really that simple.
    JUST WIN
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Its not the will to win that matters everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters. - Paul W "Bear" Bryant
    "Aight" - Nick Saban

BamaNation Hall of Fame

I did it again...got my eyes crossed and only wrote down 2nd half FT shooting. My quality control has been lacking lately...

BamaNation All-SEC

Unless you are a masochist - and not just any masochist, but a diehard serial masochist - the operative word for the product Avery's putting on the floor to flub fundamentals, free throws and even inbounding the basketball against more than a gnat's breath of pressure is UNWATCHABLE.

UTTERLY UNWATCHABLE.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    I like to watch Alabama Basketball; and I like to watch a well coached basketball team give good effort. Because of this point of view; I have found myself watching not a lot of Bama basketball this year; and when I did I have been mostly disappointed.
    #Unbuckled.

BamaNation All-American

Nope, for the most part this year we have been our own worst enemy. I was there watching the game 40 feet from the court. It took 13 minutes into the game before the 1st foul was called on the boogs. 3 in the entire 1st half. Wimp said even the anouncers stated that the refs called it looser after Pearl got T'd up. They were the more physical team by far which meant we should have been at the line all night They were pushing Hall all over the floor. I've literally been to hundreds of games at Coleman. I didnt miss a single home game and went to the Charleston tourney. With the exception of the traveling call at UT and this game, I think the refs have been decent this year. We still had chances our chances to win and bungled them at every opportunity. Weve done that all year. Simply frustrating.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Nope, for the most part this year we have been our own worst enemy. I was there watching the game 40 feet from the court. It took 13 minutes into the game before the 1st foul was called on the boogs. 3 in the entire 1st half. Wimp said even the anouncers stated that the refs called it looser after Pearl got T'd up. They were the more physical team by far which meant we should have been at the line all night They were pushing Hall all over the floor. I've literally been to hundreds of games at Coleman. I didnt miss a single home game and went to the Charleston tourney. With the exception of the traveling call at UT and this game, I think the refs have been decent this year. We still had chances our chances to win and bungled them at every opportunity. Weve done that all year. Simply frustrating.
    The way the refs called the game definitely worked to AU's advantage. Most Bama players are a little thin. Ingram was out the second half. I was wanting Norris to drive more (yes, Norris) because the hand-checks and holds have less effect on him (roster says he is 6 lbs heavier than Jones???) and he can pull up to shoot a short jumper. AU could play right in the face of the Bama players out on the perimeter and have no fear that the player would get around them. AU was able to take away the option of feeding the post.

Mostly unrelated...Smith has really played hard during his recent few minutes of play. I'm hoping that he will continue to improve and develop a shot facing the basket. Don't know what to expect of Davis-Fleming.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TiderJack's Avatar

Four times Alabama missed more FTs than the difference in the game:

Georgia State - lost by 3 and missed 13 FTs
    Texas A&M - lost by 1 and missed 11 FTs
    Tennessee - lost by 3 and missed 10 FTs
    LSU - lost by 5 and missed 10 FTs

That's pathetic. Win those games, and Alabama is 21-9 and very comfortably in the tournament.

The team lacks mental toughness and physical toughness. If Avery remains at UA, one of the top things is to find a new S&C coach. Guys haven't added muscle once on campus, and they seem to get nicked up fairly often.

Might partially explain the end of the year records, too.

2016: 6-2 in February; 0-2 in March regular season2017: 3-5 in February; 1-1 in March regular season2018: 3-4 in February; 0-1 in March regular season (ended on a 5 game losing streak)2019: 4-4 in February; 0-2 in March thus far

A coach focused on fundamentals is also desperately needed. Right now, we have two recruiters on the bench. With only three assistants, let's make it one and two solid coaches.
    Agreed and we need a HC or ass't coach that can make players accountable by getting in their face in the style of Frank Martin, Rick Barnes, Pearl etc where the player thinks he better not make a stupid, lazy pass and turn it over or there will be consequences. I think all four coaches on our bench are too nice.

Each team had nine fouls in the second half. After Pearl's T at 15:03, Alabama was called for six fouls (one more was intentional when the score was 64-60) while Auburn was called for four fouls. Auburn shot 12 FTs (plus two from the intentional at the end of the game) while Alabama shot six FTs.

The loss last night was not due to the officials. No one should argue that. At the same time, no one can say the officials last night weren't pure trash.

Edit: Two stats to show how Auburn played different after the T: six and nine. Auburn had six steals, and Alabama committed nine turnovers in the last 15 minutes of the game. For the entire game, Auburn had 11 steals and Alabama had 19 turnovers. IOW, Auburn had five steals in the first 25 minutes and Alabama committed ten turnovers in that same time period. Not like that was the case the entire game.
    Last edited by RTR91; March 6th, 2019 at 01:58 PM.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation All-SEC
    Probably physically in an airport somewhere, but in Tuscaloosa in spirit

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    I like to watch Alabama Basketball; and I like to watch a well coached basketball team give good effort. Because of this point of view; I have found myself watching not a lot of Bama basketball this year; and when I did I have been mostly disappointed.
    #Unbuckled.
    #IWantToBeThrownClear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Each team had nine fouls in the second half. After Pearl's T at 15:03, Alabama was called for six fouls (one more was intentional when the score was 64-60) while Auburn was called for four fouls. Auburn shot 12 FTs (plus two from the intentional at the end of the game) while Alabama shot six FTs.

The loss last night was not due to the officials. No one should argue that. At the same time, no one can say the officials last night weren't pure trash.

Edit: Two stats to show how Auburn played different after the T: six and nine. Auburn had six steals, and Alabama committed nine turnovers in the last 15 minutes of the game. For the entire game, Auburn had 11 steals and Alabama had 19 turnovers. IOW, Auburn had five steals in the first 25 minutes and Alabama committed ten turnovers in that same time period. Not like that was the case the entire game.
    There's a good argument that Bruce's T was the play of the game.
    Just a barner.

Auburn is now #1 on KenPom in luck.

BamaNation All-American

My point being, that if the game is called in "let em Play" mentality by the officials. it favors the more physical team and Auburn was clearly more physical in the 2nd half. Did it ultimately cost us the game, maybe, maybe not. We still had a chance to win at the end and could not get it done. Hall had 3 shots all night and passed out of the post almost every time he touched the ball because he was being molested by their post players. It is inexcusable that you have a significant height advantage and don't take advantage of it. I've said before as Donta Hall goes, so goes the Tide. I believe we got out rebounded again by a much smaller team. BTW, several times last night our players looked at the refs after taking shots in pure bewilderment that no foul was called.

My final impression of this team is they don't have clearly defined roles and the players end up trying to do too much. We also are playing the pro style of matchups and one on one plays which does not translate well to the college game unless you have superior talent, which we don't. The Alabama team that beat UK and took UT to the wire didn't remotely resemble the team that took the court last night. Unfortunately, it looks as if Coach Johnson has lost the confidence of the players IMHO and it is just a matter of time before we implode further. I do not look forward to Saturday against the Hogs.
    Last edited by Rama Jama; March 6th, 2019 at 03:29 PM.