Game Thread: OFFICIAL POSTGAME THREAD - Bama v. The Barn...

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
That has been obvious to me for a while. At this age, these kids can't self-coach and CAJ can't coach them because he doesn't really know the college game. There is no reason we can't handle the press, except practice. There's also no excuse for the abysmal FT percentage except lack of practice...
These sorts of things are what make me think of the Shula years. What, you have to make the kids practice free throws? I'm used to the NBA where it's obvious that the players do it on their own. What, you have to make kids workout? In the NFL this isn't a problem because it's their livelihood.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
These sorts of things are what make me think of the Shula years. What, you have to make the kids practice free throws? I'm used to the NBA where it's obvious that the players do it on their own. What, you have to make kids workout? In the NFL this isn't a problem because it's their livelihood.
Free throw shooting has alot to do with confidence. But the real struggle with alot of our guys is if you can't shoot you just can't shoot. And a bad shooter might even feel more pressure at the line than from the field.

I don't know how much they practice free throw shooting and how much "situational" work they do (if somebody misses everybody runs) but guys like Herbert Jones and Daniel Giddens are never going to be dependable at the line because they will never be good shooters.

This is why I don't grip as much as others aboaut FT shooting. I know it's frustration, but our poor FT shooting is a primary result of us just not being a good shooting team.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Free throw shooting has alot to do with confidence. But the real struggle with alot of our guys is if you can't shoot you just can't shoot. And a bad shooter might even feel more pressure at the line than from the field.

I don't know how much they practice free throw shooting and how much "situational" work they do (if somebody misses everybody runs) but guys like Herbert Jones and Daniel Giddens are never going to be dependable at the line because they will never be good shooters.

This is why I don't grip as much as others aboaut FT shooting. I know it's frustration, but our poor FT shooting is a primary result of us just not being a good shooting team.
And I've heard basketball coaches say they don't practice FT shooting as a team nearly as much as people would think because it ends up having a reverse effect on the player. The player begins overthinking and worrying too much about the shot, which leads to a miss, and more worry on the next attempt.

The obvious comparison there is kicking.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

OTOH, Hall managed to make himself into a pretty fair, not great, FT shooter, I understand by hours in the gym. He got rid of that miserable side spin action. I'll agree that someone with bad hand-eye coordination can't be made into a good shooter. However, given decent H/E, shots, including FTs, can be improved. I don't accept that poor shooters are just going to remain poor shooters. Form can be improved. When I was playing in HS, we didn't have a jump shot, only a set shot, most shooting two-handed. When I decided to continue as an adult, I developed a very good outside jump shot. I played weekly with guys up to 40 years younger until I was 62. Obviously, I had good tools, but I just don't accept that shots can't be improved...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
And I've heard basketball coaches say they don't practice FT shooting as a team nearly as much as people would think because it ends up having a reverse effect on the player. The player begins overthinking and worrying too much about the shot, which leads to a miss, and more worry on the next attempt.

The obvious comparison there is kicking.
If the FT shooter, or the kicker, is practicing poor form, it's obvious that practice hurts...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
OTOH, Hall managed to make himself into a pretty fair, not great, FT shooter, I understand by hours in the gym. He got rid of that miserable side spin action. I'll agree that someone with bad hand-eye coordination can't be made into a good shooter. However, given decent H/E, shots, including FTs, can be improved. I don't accept that poor shooters are just going to remain poor shooters. Form can be improved. When I was playing in HS, we didn't have a jump shot, only a set shot, most shooting two-handed. When I decided to continue as an adult, I developed a very good outside jump shot. I played weekly with guys up to 40 years younger until I was 62. Obviously, I had good tools, but I just don't accept that shots can't be improved...
Ironically, I thought about Hall as I typed that. He's kinda the exception to the rule on this team. Maybe Dazon has got more dependable too, although he's steaky.

I don't think GREAT shooters are made they are born. Fundamentals not withstanding, some people just naturally do things better. You can put a guy's elbow under the ball and show him Pistol Pete videos all day long and if he's not got "it" he won't get "it."

But I think what you are talking about his improving and getting better so I agree there's a lack of improvement for some of these guys. But, like you say, after decent fundamentals are introduced, becomeing a better shooter is about hours and hours and hours of developing a consistent stroke in the gym. It's not something improved in corporate practice.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
There are plenty of ways to get better at FTs but you have to make the time to do it. If you’re not consistently practicing you will get rusty which leads to mental issues.

One of the best things to do is practice until you make a certain number of swishes. Playing “golf” is also good (shoot 18 shots and try to be in the negative: swish is -1, make is 0, miss is +1)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
I didn't intend to derail the thread like this. My previous post wasn't so much about FT shooting in particular as it was about the two pro coaches (Shula and AJ) we've had and their apparent aloofness about the need to be hands on with college players.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I didn't intend to derail the thread like this. My previous post wasn't so much about FT shooting in particular as it was about the two pro coaches (Shula and AJ) we've had and their apparent aloofness about the need to be hands on with college players.
Here's another pro-sport mindset that appears to be a factor - killer instinct.

Mentioned this a week or two back, but look at all of the runs Alabama gives up during a game. Fans have come to expect the big lead to evaporate sooner or later. You also see that happen in the NBA regular season because coaches don't seem to have the intensity to go for the kill in late-December like they do in the playoffs.

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
Here's another pro-sport mindset that appears to be a factor - killer instinct.

Mentioned this a week or two back, but look at all of the runs Alabama gives up during a game. Fans have come to expect the big lead to evaporate sooner or later. You also see that happen in the NBA regular season because coaches don't seem to have the intensity to go for the kill in late-December like they do in the playoffs.
Is it just me, or do we not seem to always take the timeout to stop the run about 2-3 possessions too late? I know that Timeouts are limited more than what they used to be, but I feel like we try to let the players play through it way too often, which makes the runs even bigger.

I also don’t understand why, when we have our scoring droughts, we continue to just run our base offense. Man, we you are in a scoring drought you need to run a set play or a quick hitter to get an easy look at the basket or to get to the FT line.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
I believe the baseball model would work for college basketball. It is a different game now than what I grew up with, played and then coached. Last night looked like pickup games in the summer with whoever showed up. Again, our basketball IQ as a team is no better than some middle school teams I watched play this year. Same mistakes over and over and over again. There needs to be a change and the only thing that will get the AD’s attention is for folks to stop paying well earned money to watch this over and over and over. I talked with a couple of Duke fans last night and they are saying they are tired of one and done players. They want to see a true team that plays together for at least 3 years. It is sad how far college basketball has fallen in the last 10-20 years.
Save for size differential I’ve seen middle and high school teams from the past that were so far beyond fundamentally sound compared with today’s players that they could give them all the trouble in the world.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Save for size differential I’ve seen middle and high school teams from the past that were so far beyond fundamentally sound compared with today’s players that they could give them all the trouble in the world.

I helped a friend coach a 1A girls high school team in B'ham a few years ago when we lived there.

Although we didn't have talented players, these girls had better fundamentals that this Alabama team. And I can almost guarantee you we had more half court offense (set plays) and I would bet the house we worked on press break and inbound plays more than Alabama does. It's about made it impossible to watch knowing that alot of what ails us is simply poor fundamentals.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Ironically, I thought about Hall as I typed that. He's kinda the exception to the rule on this team. Maybe Dazon has got more dependable too, although he's steaky.

I don't think GREAT shooters are made they are born. Fundamentals not withstanding, some people just naturally do things better. You can put a guy's elbow under the ball and show him Pistol Pete videos all day long and if he's not got "it" he won't get "it."

But I think what you are talking about his improving and getting better so I agree there's a lack of improvement for some of these guys. But, like you say, after decent fundamentals are introduced, becomeing a better shooter is about hours and hours and hours of developing a consistent stroke in the gym. It's not something improved in corporate practice.
Oh, I agree that "great" shooters are born. However, spot-up jump shooters and FT shooters can be made, but I agree that it is only by lonely hours doing the same thing over and over, once the fundamental form is understood...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Oh, I agree that "great" shooters are born. However, spot-up jump shooters and FT shooters can be made, but I agree that it is only by lonely hours doing the same thing over and over, once the fundamental form is understood...
Goes back to the 10,000 Hour Rule

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Given the limited amount of practice time, extensive free throw practice probably isn’t possible.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
As one of those folks who spent thousands of hours shooting a basketball, it's not even work. It's a calling.
Agree...but I'd say it's "a love." Nobody gets good at a hobby/sport by looking at practice as "work." It's gotta to be something you look forward to doing and love doing.

FWIW, I can guarantee you I spent 10,000 hours shooting in my backyard growing up.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Given the limited amount of practice time, extensive free throw practice probably isn’t possible.

I don't think that violates the structural practice rule. The seven on seven football summer practice would violate the rule, if a coach were present or even observed by a coach. (IIRC, a S&C type can be present for "health purposes," now.) I don't think that voluntary solitary practice would violate it, even if it could be enforced...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Agree...but I'd say it's "a love." Nobody gets good at a hobby/sport by looking at practice as "work." It's gotta to be something you look forward to doing and love doing.

FWIW, I can guarantee you I spent 10,000 hours shooting in my backyard growing up.
Yep, I owned the yard with the goal also. My stepsons still smart (to my surprise - one actually brought it up fairly recently) that I could beat them at basketball when I was in my 40s and they in their teens. (They're now in their 40s.) :)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.