Game Thread: OFFICIAL POSTGAME THREAD - Bama v. The Barn... - Page 7
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 79 to 91 of 109
  1. #79
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Tuscaloosa
    Posts
    3,029

    Re: OFFICIAL POSTGAME THREAD - Bama v. The Barn...

    SMU would make sense. It is in Dallas so his wife would be happy. He is enormously popular in Texas. I think we waive the buyout clause and move on to a new beginning. Most people don't realize he never put down roots in Tuscaloosa. His house is a rental. He has bought a lot, but never began building. I love coach Johnson, but the dynamic with the players seems to have soured and once that happens, you really have no choice.

  2. #80
    Super Moderator RTR91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Prattville
    Posts
    38,874

    Re: OFFICIAL POSTGAME THREAD - Bama v. The Barn...

    Quote Originally Posted by Rama Jama View Post
    SMU would make sense. It is in Dallas so his wife would be happy. He is enormously popular in Texas. I think we waive the buyout clause and move on to a new beginning.
    Bingo. That's exactly why he would be mentioned there.

    Most people don't realize he never put down roots in Tuscaloosa. His house is a rental. He has bought a lot, but never began building. I love coach Johnson, but the dynamic with the players seems to have soured and once that happens, you really have no choice.
    Ouch. Didn't realize that was the case.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

    "We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

  3. #81
    BamaNation All-SEC Blindside13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Near the Barn
    Posts
    1,797

    Re: OFFICIAL POSTGAME THREAD - Bama v. The Barn...

    I love coach Johnson, but the dynamic with the players seems to have soured and once that happens, you really have no choice.
    Totally agree
    Last edited by RTR91; March 7th, 2019 at 10:16 AM.

  4. #82
    FB|BB Moderator dayhiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Pell City, AL
    Posts
    6,860

    Re: OFFICIAL POSTGAME THREAD - Bama v. The Barn...

    Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    That has been obvious to me for a while. At this age, these kids can't self-coach and CAJ can't coach them because he doesn't really know the college game. There is no reason we can't handle the press, except practice. There's also no excuse for the abysmal FT percentage except lack of practice...
    These sorts of things are what make me think of the Shula years. What, you have to make the kids practice free throws? I'm used to the NBA where it's obvious that the players do it on their own. What, you have to make kids workout? In the NFL this isn't a problem because it's their livelihood.

  5. #83
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    11,572

    Re: OFFICIAL POSTGAME THREAD - Bama v. The Barn...

    Quote Originally Posted by dayhiker View Post
    These sorts of things are what make me think of the Shula years. What, you have to make the kids practice free throws? I'm used to the NBA where it's obvious that the players do it on their own. What, you have to make kids workout? In the NFL this isn't a problem because it's their livelihood.
    Free throw shooting has alot to do with confidence. But the real struggle with alot of our guys is if you can't shoot you just can't shoot. And a bad shooter might even feel more pressure at the line than from the field.

    I don't know how much they practice free throw shooting and how much "situational" work they do (if somebody misses everybody runs) but guys like Herbert Jones and Daniel Giddens are never going to be dependable at the line because they will never be good shooters.

    This is why I don't grip as much as others aboaut FT shooting. I know it's frustration, but our poor FT shooting is a primary result of us just not being a good shooting team.

  6. #84
    Super Moderator RTR91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Prattville
    Posts
    38,874

    Re: OFFICIAL POSTGAME THREAD - Bama v. The Barn...

    Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    Free throw shooting has alot to do with confidence. But the real struggle with alot of our guys is if you can't shoot you just can't shoot. And a bad shooter might even feel more pressure at the line than from the field.

    I don't know how much they practice free throw shooting and how much "situational" work they do (if somebody misses everybody runs) but guys like Herbert Jones and Daniel Giddens are never going to be dependable at the line because they will never be good shooters.

    This is why I don't grip as much as others aboaut FT shooting. I know it's frustration, but our poor FT shooting is a primary result of us just not being a good shooting team.
    And I've heard basketball coaches say they don't practice FT shooting as a team nearly as much as people would think because it ends up having a reverse effect on the player. The player begins overthinking and worrying too much about the shot, which leads to a miss, and more worry on the next attempt.

    The obvious comparison there is kicking.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

    "We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

  7. #85
    Senior Administrator TIDE-HSV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Huntsville, AL,USA
    Posts
    62,686
    Thread Starter

    Re: OFFICIAL POSTGAME THREAD - Bama v. The Barn...

    Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    Free throw shooting has alot to do with confidence. But the real struggle with alot of our guys is if you can't shoot you just can't shoot. And a bad shooter might even feel more pressure at the line than from the field.

    I don't know how much they practice free throw shooting and how much "situational" work they do (if somebody misses everybody runs) but guys like Herbert Jones and Daniel Giddens are never going to be dependable at the line because they will never be good shooters.

    This is why I don't grip as much as others aboaut FT shooting. I know it's frustration, but our poor FT shooting is a primary result of us just not being a good shooting team.
    OTOH, Hall managed to make himself into a pretty fair, not great, FT shooter, I understand by hours in the gym. He got rid of that miserable side spin action. I'll agree that someone with bad hand-eye coordination can't be made into a good shooter. However, given decent H/E, shots, including FTs, can be improved. I don't accept that poor shooters are just going to remain poor shooters. Form can be improved. When I was playing in HS, we didn't have a jump shot, only a set shot, most shooting two-handed. When I decided to continue as an adult, I developed a very good outside jump shot. I played weekly with guys up to 40 years younger until I was 62. Obviously, I had good tools, but I just don't accept that shots can't be improved...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

    'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

    “I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

  8. #86
    Senior Administrator TIDE-HSV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Huntsville, AL,USA
    Posts
    62,686
    Thread Starter

    Re: OFFICIAL POSTGAME THREAD - Bama v. The Barn...

    Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    And I've heard basketball coaches say they don't practice FT shooting as a team nearly as much as people would think because it ends up having a reverse effect on the player. The player begins overthinking and worrying too much about the shot, which leads to a miss, and more worry on the next attempt.

    The obvious comparison there is kicking.
    If the FT shooter, or the kicker, is practicing poor form, it's obvious that practice hurts...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

    'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

    “I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

  9. #87
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    11,572

    Re: OFFICIAL POSTGAME THREAD - Bama v. The Barn...

    Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    OTOH, Hall managed to make himself into a pretty fair, not great, FT shooter, I understand by hours in the gym. He got rid of that miserable side spin action. I'll agree that someone with bad hand-eye coordination can't be made into a good shooter. However, given decent H/E, shots, including FTs, can be improved. I don't accept that poor shooters are just going to remain poor shooters. Form can be improved. When I was playing in HS, we didn't have a jump shot, only a set shot, most shooting two-handed. When I decided to continue as an adult, I developed a very good outside jump shot. I played weekly with guys up to 40 years younger until I was 62. Obviously, I had good tools, but I just don't accept that shots can't be improved...
    Ironically, I thought about Hall as I typed that. He's kinda the exception to the rule on this team. Maybe Dazon has got more dependable too, although he's steaky.

    I don't think GREAT shooters are made they are born. Fundamentals not withstanding, some people just naturally do things better. You can put a guy's elbow under the ball and show him Pistol Pete videos all day long and if he's not got "it" he won't get "it."

    But I think what you are talking about his improving and getting better so I agree there's a lack of improvement for some of these guys. But, like you say, after decent fundamentals are introduced, becomeing a better shooter is about hours and hours and hours of developing a consistent stroke in the gym. It's not something improved in corporate practice.

  10. #88
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaFlum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    S.A., TX, USA
    Posts
    5,883

    Re: OFFICIAL POSTGAME THREAD - Bama v. The Barn...

    There are plenty of ways to get better at FTs but you have to make the time to do it. If you’re not consistently practicing you will get rusty which leads to mental issues.

    One of the best things to do is practice until you make a certain number of swishes. Playing “golf” is also good (shoot 18 shots and try to be in the negative: swish is -1, make is 0, miss is +1)


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RTR!

  11. #89
    FB|BB Moderator dayhiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Pell City, AL
    Posts
    6,860

    Re: OFFICIAL POSTGAME THREAD - Bama v. The Barn...

    I didn't intend to derail the thread like this. My previous post wasn't so much about FT shooting in particular as it was about the two pro coaches (Shula and AJ) we've had and their apparent aloofness about the need to be hands on with college players.

  12. #90
    Super Moderator RTR91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Prattville
    Posts
    38,874

    Re: OFFICIAL POSTGAME THREAD - Bama v. The Barn...

    Quote Originally Posted by dayhiker View Post
    I didn't intend to derail the thread like this. My previous post wasn't so much about FT shooting in particular as it was about the two pro coaches (Shula and AJ) we've had and their apparent aloofness about the need to be hands on with college players.
    Here's another pro-sport mindset that appears to be a factor - killer instinct.

    Mentioned this a week or two back, but look at all of the runs Alabama gives up during a game. Fans have come to expect the big lead to evaporate sooner or later. You also see that happen in the NBA regular season because coaches don't seem to have the intensity to go for the kill in late-December like they do in the playoffs.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

    "We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

  13. #91
    BamaNation All-SEC BamaMike05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Madison, Alabama, United States
    Posts
    1,521

    Re: OFFICIAL POSTGAME THREAD - Bama v. The Barn...

    Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Here's another pro-sport mindset that appears to be a factor - killer instinct.

    Mentioned this a week or two back, but look at all of the runs Alabama gives up during a game. Fans have come to expect the big lead to evaporate sooner or later. You also see that happen in the NBA regular season because coaches don't seem to have the intensity to go for the kill in late-December like they do in the playoffs.
    Is it just me, or do we not seem to always take the timeout to stop the run about 2-3 possessions too late? I know that Timeouts are limited more than what they used to be, but I feel like we try to let the players play through it way too often, which makes the runs even bigger.

    I also don’t understand why, when we have our scoring droughts, we continue to just run our base offense. Man, we you are in a scoring drought you need to run a set play or a quick hitter to get an easy look at the basket or to get to the FT line.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

TideFansStore.com Bama Gear

2019 NFL Draft Gear