Game Thread: OFFICIAL POSTGAME THREAD - Bama v. The Barn... - Page 8
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame bamacon's Avatar

Re: OFFICIAL POSTGAME THREAD - Bama v. The Barn...

Quote Originally Posted by Tide Rev View Post
    I believe the baseball model would work for college basketball. It is a different game now than what I grew up with, played and then coached. Last night looked like pickup games in the summer with whoever showed up. Again, our basketball IQ as a team is no better than some middle school teams I watched play this year. Same mistakes over and over and over again. There needs to be a change and the only thing that will get the ADs attention is for folks to stop paying well earned money to watch this over and over and over. I talked with a couple of Duke fans last night and they are saying they are tired of one and done players. They want to see a true team that plays together for at least 3 years. It is sad how far college basketball has fallen in the last 10-20 years.
    Save for size differential Ive seen middle and high school teams from the past that were so far beyond fundamentally sound compared with todays players that they could give them all the trouble in the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bamacon View Post
    Save for size differential Ive seen middle and high school teams from the past that were so far beyond fundamentally sound compared with todays players that they could give them all the trouble in the world.

I helped a friend coach a 1A girls high school team in B'ham a few years ago when we lived there.

Although we didn't have talented players, these girls had better fundamentals that this Alabama team. And I can almost guarantee you we had more half court offense (set plays) and I would bet the house we worked on press break and inbound plays more than Alabama does. It's about made it impossible to watch knowing that alot of what ails us is simply poor fundamentals.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    Ironically, I thought about Hall as I typed that. He's kinda the exception to the rule on this team. Maybe Dazon has got more dependable too, although he's steaky.

I don't think GREAT shooters are made they are born. Fundamentals not withstanding, some people just naturally do things better. You can put a guy's elbow under the ball and show him Pistol Pete videos all day long and if he's not got "it" he won't get "it."

But I think what you are talking about his improving and getting better so I agree there's a lack of improvement for some of these guys. But, like you say, after decent fundamentals are introduced, becomeing a better shooter is about hours and hours and hours of developing a consistent stroke in the gym. It's not something improved in corporate practice.
    Oh, I agree that "great" shooters are born. However, spot-up jump shooters and FT shooters can be made, but I agree that it is only by lonely hours doing the same thing over and over, once the fundamental form is understood...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    Oh, I agree that "great" shooters are born. However, spot-up jump shooters and FT shooters can be made, but I agree that it is only by lonely hours doing the same thing over and over, once the fundamental form is understood...
    Goes back to the 10,000 Hour Rule
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

Given the limited amount of practice time, extensive free throw practice probably isnt possible.

BamaNation All-American

As one of those folks who spent thousands of hours shooting a basketball, it's not even work. It's a calling.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEyeshade View Post
    As one of those folks who spent thousands of hours shooting a basketball, it's not even work. It's a calling.
    Agree...but I'd say it's "a love." Nobody gets good at a hobby/sport by looking at practice as "work." It's gotta to be something you look forward to doing and love doing.

FWIW, I can guarantee you I spent 10,000 hours shooting in my backyard growing up.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    Given the limited amount of practice time, extensive free throw practice probably isn’t possible.

I don't think that violates the structural practice rule. The seven on seven football summer practice would violate the rule, if a coach were present or even observed by a coach. (IIRC, a S&C type can be present for "health purposes," now.) I don't think that voluntary solitary practice would violate it, even if it could be enforced...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Agree...but I'd say it's "a love." Nobody gets good at a hobby/sport by looking at practice as "work." It's gotta to be something you look forward to doing and love doing.

FWIW, I can guarantee you I spent 10,000 hours shooting in my backyard growing up.
    Yep, I owned the yard with the goal also. My stepsons still smart (to my surprise - one actually brought it up fairly recently) that I could beat them at basketball when I was in my 40s and they in their teens. (They're now in their 40s.)

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideEngineer08's Avatar

As did I. I never played organizational basketball beyond the 7th grade. But I had a goal in my yard, and played for hours every day, weather permitting. I loved it. I did play competitively with a group of guys I used to go to church with, several of whom were Varsity players at the time. I was not nearly as athletic as them, but I hung in there very well because I played hard and I shot very well. So I have an idea of what it takes, and it is baffling that we don't see it from so many college guys these days.

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    As did I. I never played organizational basketball beyond the 7th grade. But I had a goal in my yard, and played for hours every day, weather permitting. I loved it. I did play competitively with a group of guys I used to go to church with, several of whom were Varsity players at the time. I was not nearly as athletic as them, but I hung in there very well because I played hard and I shot very well. So I have an idea of what it takes, and it is baffling that we don't see it from so many college guys these days.
    I really wonder how much guys practice shooting these days??? I wasn't the fastest guy in the gym, nor could I jump the highest, but dadgumit, I could shoot as good as any, even when I played college ball. I was probably my team's Lawson Shafer.

But I wonder if the more athletic guys really put the time in to develop a great shot now days? And I sometimes wonder why we don't recruit a few more shooters who may not be the best athlete on the floor but can fill it up if they get an open look.

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    This might be where AAU comes into play. Guys are in the gym, but they aren't working on the fundamentals. They're just playing games.

If you play all day at tournaments during the summer, are you going to feel like going back to the gym to work on your game during what little time you have?
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    This might be where AAU comes into play. Guys are in the gym, but they aren't working on the fundamentals. They're just playing games.

If you play all day at tournaments during the summer, are you going to feel like going back to the gym to work on your game during what little time you have?
    Good point. We played pick up games and when the coach could get the gym open we'd play pickup (shirts and skins) but most days it was just plugging alone in your backyard.