Game Thread: OFFICIAL POSTGAME THREAD - Bama v. The Barn...

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Agree...but I'd say it's "a love." Nobody gets good at a hobby/sport by looking at practice as "work." It's gotta to be something you look forward to doing and love doing.

FWIW, I can guarantee you I spent 10,000 hours shooting in my backyard growing up.
As did I. I never played organizational basketball beyond the 7th grade. But I had a goal in my yard, and played for hours every day, weather permitting. I loved it. I did play competitively with a group of guys I used to go to church with, several of whom were Varsity players at the time. I was not nearly as athletic as them, but I hung in there very well because I played hard and I shot very well. So I have an idea of what it takes, and it is baffling that we don't see it from so many college guys these days.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
As did I. I never played organizational basketball beyond the 7th grade. But I had a goal in my yard, and played for hours every day, weather permitting. I loved it. I did play competitively with a group of guys I used to go to church with, several of whom were Varsity players at the time. I was not nearly as athletic as them, but I hung in there very well because I played hard and I shot very well. So I have an idea of what it takes, and it is baffling that we don't see it from so many college guys these days.
I really wonder how much guys practice shooting these days??? I wasn't the fastest guy in the gym, nor could I jump the highest, but dadgumit, I could shoot as good as any, even when I played college ball. I was probably my team's Lawson Shafer. :wink:

But I wonder if the more athletic guys really put the time in to develop a great shot now days? And I sometimes wonder why we don't recruit a few more shooters who may not be the best athlete on the floor but can fill it up if they get an open look.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
This might be where AAU comes into play. Guys are in the gym, but they aren't working on the fundamentals. They're just playing games.

If you play all day at tournaments during the summer, are you going to feel like going back to the gym to work on your game during what little time you have?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
This might be where AAU comes into play. Guys are in the gym, but they aren't working on the fundamentals. They're just playing games.

If you play all day at tournaments during the summer, are you going to feel like going back to the gym to work on your game during what little time you have?
Good point. We played pick up games and when the coach could get the gym open we'd play pickup (shirts and skins) but most days it was just plugging alone in your backyard.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I really wonder how much guys practice shooting these days??? I wasn't the fastest guy in the gym, nor could I jump the highest, but dadgumit, I could shoot as good as any, even when I played college ball. I was probably my team's Lawson Shafer. :wink:

But I wonder if the more athletic guys really put the time in to develop a great shot now days? And I sometimes wonder why we don't recruit a few more shooters who may not be the best athlete on the floor but can fill it up if they get an open look.
I don't mean to sound like Uncle Rico, but I was a very good rebounder too and I am only 6'1". I usually would out rebound much taller guys. It was effort, and a little bit of instincts and timing.

I think that has to be it. I know these guys, most of them, have to love playing. But the nature of today's environment has killed so much of the gym rat culture, of guys spending hours and hours in the gym or at the court in the park or in their yards, refining their game.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Good point. We played pick up games and when the coach could get the gym open we'd play pickup (shirts and skins) but most days it was just plugging alone in your backyard.
This hits on another area that could be factoring into things. Guys can meet up at a court somewhere much easier than years ago. Send out a quick tweet "Going to _____. Meet up and let's play some hoops!" If a few friends show up, you're not going to get in a line to work on your layups. You're going to play a game.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
When I first played "21", seems like most free shots were from the free throw line. Later, the free shots were moved up the top of the key. I don't know if it varied more by location or if the game of 21 evolved to the top of the key at most locations. Maybe it was always that way at some courts. It helps a little on free throws though it is usually played to fill time while waiting for a pickup game.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
When I first played "21", seems like most free shots were from the free throw line. Later, the free shots were moved up the top of the key. I don't know if it varied more by location or if the game of 21 evolved to the top of the key at most locations. Maybe it was always that way at some courts. It helps a little on free throws though it is usually played to fill time while waiting for a pickup game.
Same. I remember (in the early to mid 80's) the same experience. Probably played it more from the 3 point line at the top of the key.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I don't think that violates the structural practice rule. The seven on seven football summer practice would violate the rule, if a coach were present or even observed by a coach. (IIRC, a S&C type can be present for "health purposes," now.) I don't think that voluntary solitary practice would violate it, even if it could be enforced...
I was really referring to actual practice time with coaching supervision. Having everyone shoot 100 free throws would eat up a lot of time. Obviously, a player can do whatever he wants in his free time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.